Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which specialty did you apply for?
Walt Disney World 210 74.47%
Disneyland 18 6.38%
runDisney 11 3.90%
Disney Vacation Club 26 9.22%
Disney Cruise Line 15 5.32%
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex 2 0.71%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #76
ammag
DIS Veteran

Hey guys! Ei want to apply but have a question. I went in 1986 (so long ago) and Dl in 1989 but went on a great trip last October, going again this November. I research a lot, listen to podcasts, come ot the DIS daily....try to learn everything possible. I have blogged about disney several times for a well read blog. I am also disabled from an illness, so if they want that angle I could provide. I have two kids ages 6 and 2. So although I think I have a lot of knowledge and would do a great job do I have enough actual park experience to bother applying?
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #77
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
Hey guys! Ei want to apply but have a question. I went in 1986 (so long ago) and Dl in 1989 but went on a great trip last October, going again this November. I research a lot, listen to podcasts, come ot the DIS daily....try to learn everything possible. I have blogged about disney several times for a well read blog. I am also disabled from an illness, so if they want that angle I could provide. I have two kids ages 6 and 2. So although I think I have a lot of knowledge and would do a great job do I have enough actual park experience to bother applying?
No way to really know without trying!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #78
rmoonkelly
Earning My Ears

I can't believe it's been a year!

Hi All,
I'm Rachel from Ontario Canada. I can't believe it's been a year since the first time I applied. Being on these discussion boards is the first time I've ever felt like a Disney amateur - you ladies are awesome! We've been 7 times in 6 years & this year took our first Disney Cruise on the Fantasy ... of course now we are spoiled for every other cruise line - it was amazing. We have stayed off grounds twice but I honestly LOVE staying on the grounds - it really does feel like you're in a whole different "world". Our fav place to stay (much to my surprise) is Wilderness Lodge - upscale yet super kid-friendly - they can hang out in the lobby in their jammies, & you're just a happy boat-ride away from the MK - my second fav place on earth (home being the first)! Good luck to all & I'm looking forward to the fun ... I wonder what the stumper "Dole Whip" question will be this year.
rmoonkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #79
rmoonkelly
Earning My Ears

Go for it.

Quote:
I say go for it ... I've only applied once but it's easy to see from these boards that there are people with TONS of Disney experience who never get past round 1 & people with not very much experience who make it so you never know.
... wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall when they're making decisions so we'd have an idea!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #80
rmoonkelly
Earning My Ears

Dcl

Anyone have any insight into how many cruises you'd need to take to apply for the DCL specialty? I've only been on one but have another booked. I have been to WDW 9 times so will likely stick with that but was just wondering.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #81
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoonkelly View Post
Anyone have any insight into how many cruises you'd need to take to apply for the DCL specialty? I've only been on one but have another booked. I have been to WDW 9 times so will likely stick with that but was just wondering.
One of the former DCL moms, Marisol, has in her bio that she'd been on three cruises before joining the panel. But she's bilingual and lives in Florida AP to WDW and all that.
She also is an amazingly sweet lady! I met her on our cruise last Thanksgiving and got to sit down and chat for a while. She said she was happy to meet a future panel hopeful and talk panel with another pixie dust nut. Her DH said she was happy to meet someone who knew about the panel.
She had mostly the same advice we read here all the time. Be you! And spellcheck before you send your answers in.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #82
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Thanks! I don't really feel new as I lurked and occasionally posted as a nonapplicant through last years process. So I feel like I know a little bit of what the process puts everyone through. As I remember it involves a lot of hurrying to submit your answers, videos, interviews and waiting around to find out who survives the cut each round.

2013 Disney Moms Panel Search Thread

^^^ For those of you who'd like to know a little of what to expect.

Edit to add...

Made us a picture/badge thing for this year's hopefuls!
I'm considering making a circular smaller version of the same thing to go in my signature line.

Very cute!!!

Everyone asking about what they are looking for: Nobody knows for sure. The only thing you can do is be honest, open, and, most importantly, be yourself!

I've applied every year and each year, I'd think about my first round answers and really work them before I entered. Last year, I wasn't going to apply, but I decided to do it again on the spur of the moment without checking and re-checking my answers (except to check spelling and grammar) and guess what? I made it to Round 2!

In the past, Round 2 has been answers to more questions and a video that you have about 2-3 days to complete and send in. If I remember correctly, last year we found out on Friday and had to have the answers and video in by Monday night.

While I didn't move on to Round 3, I really enjoyed the process and have met some fantastic people through the process!

Last edited by MissLiz; 08-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
MissLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #83
ammag
DIS Veteran

What did you guys who did videos do in them? Is it you with a plain background kind of thing or did you go all out with special effects, background etc? Just want to be prepared that sounds like a short turnaround!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #84
ammag
DIS Veteran

Sorry one more question...any idea how much they end up paying the writers? Not looking at this for income to be honest, but I am disabled and can't make much money on disability. . Don't want to get hopes up if I wouldn't even be able to accept
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #85
tkalita
Born with Minnie ears!

Quote:
Sorry one more question...any idea how much they end up paying the writers? Not looking at this for income to be honest, but I am disabled and can't make much money on disability. . Don't want to get hopes up if I wouldn't even be able to accept
Mom's Panel positions are unpaid. There are perks with the "job" of course but payment isn't one of them.

tkalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #86
ammag
DIS Veteran

Oh, ok great! Lol funny to be happy to NOT get paid. What is the best advice from last years applicants? Other than be yourself
Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #87
karenlu
Earning My Ears

Let's do this thing!

This will be my first time applying and I'm so excited (and a bit nervous)!

I've been to WDW 13 times and DL three and eat, drink and breathe WDW when I'm not there. I'm the go to planner and answer woman for family, friends and friends of friends. By day, I'm a librarian, so questions and research are the name of the game for me. I also do presentations on traveling to WDW at area libraries providing tips to newbies.

It sounds like this process is fun, but intense, for all those that apply. I hope I can make the best impression possible! Good luck everyone!!!!
Disneyland June 2008
Pop Century January 2006
Disneyland November 2005
Wilderness Lodge August 2003
Polynesian November 2002
Coronado Springs / Polynesian January 1998
Polynesian November 1995
Polynesian November 1992
Caribbean Beach 1989
Disney Inn 1986
Polynesian 1985
Polynesian 1982
karenlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #88
ammag
DIS Veteran

Karen, I helped plan 7trips this year! Holy cow....but it is fun isn't it? I love research too, that's so great you do presentations that must help a lot of people! I am always shocked how little people understand the park experience and so happy when they tell me my advice helped.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #89
karenlu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Karen, I helped plan 7trips this year! Holy cow....but it is fun isn't it? I love research too, that's so great you do presentations that must help a lot of people! I am always shocked how little people understand the park experience and so happy when they tell me my advice helped.
I love doing the presentations! Sometimes there are folks that have been about 40 times (DVC members and about twice my age) but then there are others who have never been and are planning to take their kids/grandkids for the first time. The major thing people learn is that planning is key--deciding what park to visit on what day, researching attractionsand knowing how to use FASTPASS, ADRs etc. This isn't a day trip to Six Flags people!
Disneyland June 2008
Pop Century January 2006
Disneyland November 2005
Wilderness Lodge August 2003
Polynesian November 2002
Coronado Springs / Polynesian January 1998
Polynesian November 1995
Polynesian November 1992
Caribbean Beach 1989
Disney Inn 1986
Polynesian 1985
Polynesian 1982
karenlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #90
cdotla
Trish

Well I am nothing if not determined....this will be the 7th year I will be joining everyone in the waiting room.

I've made it to round 2 twice, and last year in my 6th year of applying, I finally made it to the final interview round. The thing is, this just never gets old. Each September I keep looking forward to starting the Moms' Panel application process all over again!

Looking forward to sharing the ride once again with everyone!
cdotla is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: