Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennie

$48 hold on CC. Not sure why the weird amount!
Maybe the cost of a tank of gas
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennie View Post
Got my EZ rental car,and it was a success! Got free upgrade from economy to a Ford Mustang, which made DH happy!

Also very impressed with no pressure, no sales pitch at check in. No pressure to purchase insurance, etc.

To the PP who asked about minivans, there were Dodge Caravans, Toyota Siennas, and Kia

Will definitely rent from again!
Thanks for checking for us.
I have 3 reservations right now. Leaning toward EZ at $195,hoping one of those Toyota Siennas is available.

Budget is at $187 and Alamo at $227.

Budget may only offer Dodge Caravans, I rather try out the Sienna.

So it sounds like you were assigned a car before going out to where the cars were parked. So it looks like I might have to ask for the Sienna rather just pick it out from a lineup of vans. Here hoping I luck out like you and get the free upgrade to the premium mini-van.

Last edited by JimboCh; 09-12-2013 at 11:26 AM.
JimboCh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboCh View Post
Thanks for checking for us.
I have 3 reservations right now. Leaning toward EZ at $195,hoping one of those Toyota Siennas is available.

Budget is at $187 and Alamo at $227.

Budget may only offer Dodge Caravans, I rather try out the Sienna.

So it sounds like you were assigned a car before going out to where the cars were parked. So it looks like I might have to ask for the Sienna rather just pick it out from a lineup of vans. Here hoping I luck out like you and get the free upgrade to the premium mini-van.
All three also have Chrysler Towne and County vans. Super nice. Even has a DVD player in it along with leather seats. Same price. siennas are ok, but, they don't have the luggage capacity that the Chrysler and Dodge have.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
All three also have Chrysler Towne and County vans. Super nice. Even has a DVD player in it along with leather seats. Same price. siennas are ok, but, they don't have the luggage capacity that the Chrysler and Dodge have.

I looked at this web site to see the luggage space.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Nennie mentioned these were the 3 kinds she saw in the garage. So I was only comparing those 3 kinds.

Dodge Caravans, Toyota Siennas, and Kia

Cargo Space Behind Third/Second Row
Dodge Grand Caravan: 33.0/83.3 cu.-ft.

Kia Sedona: 32.2/80.1 cu.-ft.

Toyota Sienna: 39.1/87.1 cu.-ft.

Also look at this site http://www.cars.com/chrysler/town-an...expert-reviews

The Toyota Sienna has more room for luggage then even the Chrysler Town and Country Van.

I think too since Ez rental will be less busy then either Budget or Alamo I might have a better chance getting one of the larger vans there. Just don't want the Kia or the Dodge Caravan, would be happy with either the Toyota or the Chrysler.

Last edited by JimboCh; 09-12-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #35
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

EZ is one of a few companies that reserve the right not to rent to you if you decline their collision coverage and you don't show that you have collision on a car you own back at home.

They don't invoke that privilege often but are apt to if it is a high demand time like Daytona Week.

But I would expect that Priceline and similar travel agents that don't tell you the rental company up front will either get them to honor your reservation even if you decline the extras, or refund your money. Use the pay phone at the back of the rental office (or your cell phone) if you run into "insurmountable" problems.
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
EZ is one of a few companies that reserve the right not to rent to you if you decline their collision coverage and you don't show that you have collision on a car you own back at home.

They don't invoke that privilege often but are apt to if it is a high demand time like Daytona Week.

But I would expect that Priceline and similar travel agents that don't tell you the rental company up front will either get them to honor your reservation even if you decline the extras, or refund your money. Use the pay phone at the back of the rental office (or your cell phone) if you run into "insurmountable" problems.
All ready have my insurance policy printed out and ready to take with me just incase I need it. No idea when Daytona Week is, our vacation dates are 9/27 - 10/5
Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #37
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I looked at this web site to see the luggage space.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Nennie mentioned these were the 3 kinds she saw in the garage. So I was only comparing those 3 kinds.

Dodge Caravans, Toyota Siennas, and Kia

Dodge Grand Caravan: 33.0/83.3 cu.-ft.

Kia Sedona: 32.2/80.1 cu.-ft.

Toyota Sienna: 39.1/87.1 cu.-ft.

Also look at this site http://www.cars.com/chrysler/town-an...expert-reviews

The Toyota Sienna has more room for luggage then even the Chrysler Town and Country Van.

I think too since Ez rental will be less busy then either Budget or Alamo I might have a better chance getting one of the larger vans there. Just don't want the Kia or the Dodge Caravan, would be happy with either the Toyota or the Chrysler.
Thanks for the link. I also read the reviews which were slightly better for the T&C. I can only speak from experience helping renters with these two vehicles. The T&C is a snap to fold the third row down(just follow the numbers and be aware that the third row middle head rest has to be dropped manually BEFORE you try to fold the seat<saw a lot of manly men trying to cram that seat into the space>)Sienna, not so much. The extra seat in the Sienna is a joke and PITA to install (yes, it is removable). Personally, I don't really see where the rental companies get the nerve to charge extra for this van. Having driven both, I would go with the T&C, much, much nicer. This is JMHO. The Dodge is very similar, but, not as "cushy" and does not have the nifty features of leather, DVD, backup camera etc. But, I would take that over the Sienna or Kia (which is HORRIBLE).
But, I wish you good luck and hope you get what you want. EZ may be less busy, but, they also have a much smaller fleet. With Budget or Alamo, your chances of getting a T&C are much greater. They both have much larger fleets and can produce more.
I still don't like the X% or 200.00 hold on top of the rental price. But, that's just me. I am not really impressed with the verbage about rentals either.

Last edited by gmeh1; 09-13-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #38
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All ready have my insurance policy printed out and ready to take with me just incase I need it. No idea when Daytona Week is, our vacation dates are 9/27 - 10/5
You are clear for the Daytona bikeoctoberfest week.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #39
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nennie View Post
$48 hold on CC. Not sure why the weird amount!
Possibly the 30% over the rental.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

gmeh1........................OT............Father-in-law rented a fullsize off of Dollar at MCO this past Wednesday and they stuck him with a Volkswagon Passat.

Do you know if that is called Fullsize car in their fleet.

I did some quick checking and found out in the Canada Fleet that car is considered a standard size but in United States .........Dollar doesn't even carry that car in their fleet.

I'm thinking someone from Canada drove down to Disney in it and the people in Dollar just wanted to get the car out of their garage. He is returning the car to the Wyndham, on hotel row in Disney on Saturday next week.

Do you think we have grounds for a a complaint that they gave him the wrong size car and should get a refund of somekind?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #41
lauti
Mouseketeer

Quote:
gmeh1........................OT............Father-in-law rented a fullsize off of Dollar at MCO this past Wednesday and they stuck him with a Volkswagon Passat.

I did some quick checking and found out in the Canada Fleet that car is considered a standard size but in United States .........Dollar doesn't even carry that car in their fleet.

I'm thinking someone from Canada drove down to Disney in it and the people in Dollar just wanted to get the car out of their garage. He is returning the car to the Wyndham, on hotel row in Disney on Saturday next week.

Do you think we have grounds for a a complaint that they gave him the wrong size car and should get a refund of somekind?
The Passat is not a small car, I can see it being a full size.
lauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #42
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just curious, why don't you want a Dodge Grand Caravan, but would be okay with a Chrysler Town & Country? I used to have a T&C, and currently have a Grand Caravan. They're literally the exact same vehicle, just with some different upgrades. But if it's space you're mainly concerned with, there's no difference (assuming the same model year). Both have the Stow-n-Go seating, which is AWESOME, and the same amount of cargo room.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #43
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnslight View Post
Just curious, why don't you want a Dodge Grand Caravan, but would be okay with a Chrysler Town & Country? I used to have a T&C, and currently have a Grand Caravan. They're literally the exact same vehicle, just with some different upgrades. But if it's space you're mainly concerned with, there's no difference (assuming the same model year). Both have the Stow-n-Go seating, which is AWESOME, and the same amount of cargo room.
No real reason just wanted to try something different. Have rented a Dodge Caravan before.

Was really leaning toward the larger storage space with the Toyota Sienna. Just figured if the Toyota is not available I would settle for a T&C.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #44
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No real reason just wanted to try something different. Have rented a Dodge Caravan before.

Was really leaning toward the larger storage space with the Toyota Sienna. Just figured if the Toyota is not available I would settle for a T&C.
Ah, gotcha. I wonder if the storage calculation for the Grand Caravan and T&C include the under-floor bins in the second row...it kind of doesn't sound like they do. If that's the case, then they'd have even more storage than the Sienna.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #45
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

JimboCh, To be totally honest, I don't know how Dollar rates their cars. I can tell you that just because they don't list it, does not mean they don't have it. Ask you FIL to look on his contract and see how they list it. Dollar is now owned by Hertz and Hertz has VW's in their fleet, so, it is possible that they have those. DId you ask what state the license plate is from?
I have no idea how Dollar handles complaints like this, but, if he is unhappy with the car, he could probably take it back and insist on something different. You could also call Dollar and see how they rate the car. Sorry I could not help more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: