Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #16
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I have the current edition and I like it. I have used their WDW book before, too. I don't think they need to re-write the book every year anyway. They really should split it into two books -- the base book about the ships and booking and then the one with that year's itineraries. Or they should just talk about the itineraries on their website. That information changes so quickly, I can see how it is hard to keep up in a printed book.

So, I love the Passporter for packing tips, cabin tips, ship maps to highlight my FE cabins on , and for general reference. I still come to the DIS for the latest scoop and questions. It is the best of both worlds that way! I say just order the current one and start highlighting! It is probably discounted at this point, too.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman View Post

I ordered the forthcoming Passporter from Amazon on Thanksgiving day last year. The same day that I booked our August 3rd Fantasy cruise.
I just checked my emails from Amazon. The original release date was on in January. It has been postponed six times. I finally cancelled it the last time it was postponed.
That's because Amazon always sets a January release. It wasn't postponed. Amazon wants to put in a release date despite them not having one. If you listen the the Passporter moms podcast they mention this at least every other year. They almost always release midsummer. Amazon almost always puts their first release date as January. They usually aren't starting updating the years cruise guide by then but are working on the park guides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
The online version is out, I have had it a while now.
Yes. Me too. Almost a month now.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
pkgman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
That's because Amazon always sets a January release. It wasn't postponed. Amazon wants to put in a release date despite them not having one. If you listen the the Passporter moms podcast they mention this at least every other year. They almost always release midsummer. Amazon almost always puts their first release date as January. They usually aren't starting updating the years cruise guide by then but are working on the park guides.

Yes. Me too. Almost a month now.
Amazon does not just want to put a release date on items. I currently have three books and four movies that have "Not released yet. We will email when we have a date. You can cancel at any time. This item is covered by our Pre-order price guarantee."

The price guarantee is why order I pre-order. To get automatic price drops with they happen.

Myself and others have emailed them. They have either not returned emails or gave what was bogus dates. I can understand that they are couple undertaking the project but they are trying to make a business out of it. Why not put the release date on their website?

Here is a list if the release dates

11th - August ?, 2013 ?
10th - November 27, 2012
9th - August 23, 2011
8th - August 31, 2010
7th - May 12, 2009
6th - March 11, 2008
5th - January 18, 2007
4th - April 12, 2006
3rd - May 9, 2005
2nd - April 1, 2004
1st - February 1, 2003
06/12 - Boardwalk Villas
07/11 - Vero Beach & Beach Club Villas
06/10 - Villas @ Wilderness Lodge & Beach Club Villas
05/09 - Beach Club Villas
11/08 - Boardwalk Villas
09/07 - Villas @ Wilderness Lodge
05/06 - Saratoga Springs
04/01 - Port Orleans French Quarter
04/00 - Port Orleans French Quarter
04/99 - Coronado Springs

pkgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman View Post

Amazon does not just want to put a release date on items. I currently have three books and four movies that have "Not released yet. We will email when we have a date. You can cancel at any time. This item is covered by our Pre-order price guarantee."

The price guarantee is why order I pre-order. To get automatic price drops with they happen.

Myself and others have emailed them. They have either not returned emails or gave what was bogus dates. I can understand that they are couple undertaking the project but they are trying to make a business out of it. Why not put the release date on their website?

Here is a list if the release dates

11th - August ?, 2013 ?
10th - November 27, 2012
9th - August 23, 2011
8th - August 31, 2010
7th - May 12, 2009
6th - March 11, 2008
5th - January 18, 2007
4th - April 12, 2006
3rd - May 9, 2005
2nd - April 1, 2004
1st - February 1, 2003
I don't know, I only said what they've said on their podcast. As I've only been sailing since 2010, the releases have seemed pretty consistently midsummer for the ebook version, which I already have this year's version of. (July 2013).
I'm sorry others find the release dates frustrating as I found the books quite helpful before my first cruise and for relatives or friends who find these boards a bit too much to take in without a point of reference.
Basically, like any print book these days, they are behind the times as soon as they are published.
Doesn't mean most of the information is still useful.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
black magic
Earning My Ears

I was disapointed that I was not able to order the 2013 edition before my cruise at the beginning of July. I kept passing on the 2012 edition because of the never ending ~just around the corner~ date that was being shown. The end result is I didn't purchase a book at all. I too emailed them directly with no responce.
black magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
debsters41
DIS Veteran

I am a little surprised by the fact that some people did not get a response when e-mailing the passporter owners/writers directly. I have never had a problem getting an answer to an e-mail, even when I was asking them for an exchange for something which ultimately was my mistake.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
AuroraluvsPhillip

Wants to live at the Grand Floridian-room 5341
aka Jingles Harriet

I preordered the newest edition last week and have an estimated delivery date of 8/16 to 8/20. This is my first DCL cruise, so it will probably come in handy. I found that once I had used the various guidebooks for WDW and gone several times, I didn't really need them anymore, since I knew the ins and outs. I assume cruises work the same way. Once you're familiar with DCL, you can keep updated here.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraluvsPhillip View Post
I preordered the newest edition last week and have an estimated delivery date of 8/16 to 8/20. This is my first DCL cruise, so it will probably come in handy. I found that once I had used the various guidebooks for WDW and gone several times, I didn't really need them anymore, since I knew the ins and outs. I assume cruises work the same way. Once you're familiar with DCL, you can keep updated here.
Precisely.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

The Passporter newsletter said they started shipping preorders yesterday.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
CM Dad
Earning My Ears

I preordered the new version from Amazon back in February, and have gotten multiple emails about delays. I saw that the passporter site talked about shipping to their preorders July 25th, so I sent them an email asking about other sites like Amazon. The reply I got back was:

It isn't that we release the book to other vendors; it's really about them receiving the books from our distributor. There's an extra step in the distribution chain for other bookstores. The books were completed printing this week and are likely now in transit to our distributor, who will then ship them to Amazon. August 13 seems likely, but possibly they will get them a wee bit earlier.

Have a magical day!

Jennifer
PassPorter Help Desk
CM Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

If you follow Passporter on their site and their newsletters you would know that Amazon sets whatever release date they want even when Passporter has not set one. Passporter only sets a release date AFTER they have finished the book and have sent it to the printers.

What I have always done is order the books straight through passporter as you are the FIRST people to get it. Amazon gets theirs at the same time passporter pre orders get theirs. And you get at least a 15% discount(up to 35%) and you get a free online edition of the book immediately upon pre-ordering.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
GrandiesX4
Earning My Ears

Just checked Barnes and Noble bookstore site: Passporter book available Tuesday, August 12th.
GrandiesX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #28
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Dad View Post
It isn't that we release the book to other vendors; it's really about them receiving the books from our distributor. There's an extra step in the distribution chain for other bookstores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
If you follow Passporter on their site and their newsletters you would know that Amazon sets whatever release date they want even when Passporter has not set one.
Amazon really does NOT do that. They get the info from *somewhere*. And now we finally have the answer from the first quote in my response, and it's their distributor. Usually it's info given electronically by the publisher, but apparently it's the distributor who is doing it. The amazon department doesn't make stuff up; they get it from someone along the chain of getting things.

I always buy my passporters directly. I love amazon, it's where I met DH and for many years now it's been the source of our income (go Kindle!), but the discounts for returning readers and now the ebook you get when you order or pre-order a book from them is just too good to pass up. (sorry amazon!)
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
CM Dad
Earning My Ears

When I ordered the Passporter cruise line book from Amazon back in February, the price was $13.58 with free Amazon prime shipping. At the passporter site itself, the price for a returning reader is $15.37, plus between $4.12 (USPS media mail) and $41.64 (USPS Express mail).

I though about cancelling the order at Amazon and buying direct, but decided the ebook and somewhat earlier availability did not justify the additional cost. I'll just wait for August.
CM Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #30
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41
I am a little surprised by the fact that some people did not get a response when e-mailing the passporter owners/writers directly. I have never had a problem getting an answer to an e-mail, even when I was asking them for an exchange for something which ultimately was my mistake.
I am too. I've emailed them in the past and received a response fairly quickly.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: