Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
andyman8
DIS Veteran

I'm not so sure about this one. I've not heard too much about this, but from what I understand, rumors are indicating two potential options.

Option 1 - Phineas & Ferb - One belief is that P&F could come in and revamp the pavilion, while retaining its theme. Although I really like this idea, you've got to remember that P&F has been around since '07, so while it's still popular, Disney is really proceeding with caution regarding any future theme parks matters involving it as they're is a concern within the company, to the best of my knowledge, that P&F could begin to fade within the next year or so as the show continually ages. With the notable exceptions of SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents, modern cartoons seem to, on average, live for three years.

Option 2 - iMagination hosted by Apple - I think we'd all love to see Apple return to the parks (remember the Innovnetions display?) and considering the companies are very close, it wouldn't be a stretch to see Apple come into the parks. With that in mind, the idea of a pavilion solely hosted by Apple is a bit challenging for Disney Imagineers, for theming a ride around Apple (and still making it fun and interesting for the masses) is hard. I've heard a lot about a Future Fest of sorts coming to Epcot sponsored by Apple. That seems to be more likely than "iMagination".

With all that in mind, I don't see anything significant happening if this does go down for refurbishment. I can't say a refurb won't happen, but if it does (which is still a big if), it won't come back with a radically different theme.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
anelson81993
Mouseketeer

Disney Tourist Blog posted an article (mostly just speculation about what could be done in the pavilion) about the rumored closure/refurbishment today:

ETA: Full link won't show, but it's the top article at the Disney Tourist Blog website.

Last edited by anelson81993; 07-23-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Link problems
anelson81993 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
It's not even a particularly strong rumor - the whole thing seems to be based on "a Cast Member told me" (while others have countered that they have friend who work at JII who have heard nothing of the sort).

Here's the thing, JII is in desperate need of a refurb, but Disney is stuck paying long term for the sponsorship agreement they made with Kodak. Kodak is in bankruptcy, and the Dreamfinder and Figment IP is shared between Kodak and Disney. That IP is one of the few assets Kodak has that still generates a revenue stream (my understanding is that they have very few digital photography patents). So the bankruptcy court isn't going to allow Kodak to sell its share of that IP (unless it's at a serious premium). The bankruptcy court also isn't going to allow Kodak to invest more money into JII.

So Disney is stuck. About the only thing they could try and do is file an adversary action in the bankruptcy to try and force Kodak out at JII. But the bankruptcy court is not going to be particularly sympathetic to something that interrupts the flow of cash to pay off Kodak's creditors, so we're back where we started.
wouldnt closing the pavilion reduce/restrict the revenue stream though? especially for the extended closure the rumour suggests.

Maybe that is Disneys way of attempting to force Kodak out/to sell the IP.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

How about a mashup of two concepts; Imagination and Sorcerer Mickey magic? It would give them some place to stick that BAH.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I've been saying they should push Apple to be a sponsor for ages.

This pavillion should be the BEST in Future World, not the worst. A year-long refurb would mean a true overhaul of the ride, which is a good thing.

I think they could do so much with this ride with interactive technology, putting the guests INTO the experience.

However, I think its a big mistake to remove Figment completely, he should still be part of the ride, and they should bring dreamfinder back, but other than that, anything is fair game to me.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #21
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
It's not even a particularly strong rumor - the whole thing seems to be based on "a Cast Member told me" (while others have countered that they have friend who work at JII who have heard nothing of the sort).

Here's the thing, JII is in desperate need of a refurb, but Disney is stuck paying long term for the sponsorship agreement they made with Kodak. Kodak is in bankruptcy, and the Dreamfinder and Figment IP is shared between Kodak and Disney. That IP is one of the few assets Kodak has that still generates a revenue stream (my understanding is that they have very few digital photography patents). So the bankruptcy court isn't going to allow Kodak to sell its share of that IP (unless it's at a serious premium). The bankruptcy court also isn't going to allow Kodak to invest more money into JII.

So Disney is stuck. About the only thing they could try and do is file an adversary action in the bankruptcy to try and force Kodak out at JII. But the bankruptcy court is not going to be particularly sympathetic to something that interrupts the flow of cash to pay off Kodak's creditors, so we're back where we started.
This is the first I heard of this. Kodak left as a sponsor a while ago. Disney would not pay Kodak for the sponsorship - it would be the other way around. The only possibility is if the agreement specified that Kodak got a portion of the merchandise revenue EVEN AFTER they dropped sponsorship, which is doubtful...such agreements generally cannot compel one company to continue paying the other in that manner, especially if it is not a profitable revenue source.

IF Kodak receives revenue in this manner, it should be a matter of record with the bankruptcy court. I do know how easy it would be to find (some searches turn up nothing other than speculation that Kodak is part owners, and others saying that's a myth). And even if that was the case, Disney certainly would be able to buy it out if they wanted to.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

It's being reported HERE too.

I like Phineas and Ferb but I'm not sure I'd want them to replace Figment. They've been working over crossovers with Marvel and Star Wars in the cartoon so maybe they will do a "crossover ride".

"Phineas and Ferb meet Dreamfinder and Figment"
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
This is the first I heard of this. Kodak left as a sponsor a while ago. Disney would not pay Kodak for the sponsorship - it would be the other way around. The only possibility is if the agreement specified that Kodak got a portion of the merchandise revenue EVEN AFTER they dropped sponsorship, which is doubtful...such agreements generally cannot compel one company to continue paying the other in that manner, especially if it is not a profitable revenue source.

IF Kodak receives revenue in this manner, it should be a matter of record with the bankruptcy court. I do know how easy it would be to find (some searches turn up nothing other than speculation that Kodak is part owners, and others saying that's a myth). And even if that was the case, Disney certainly would be able to buy it out if they wanted to.
You misunderstand. I believe it has been fairly well confirmed that Kodak owns part of the rights to the Figment and Dreamfinder characters. Even though Kodak is no longer the attraction sponsors, they still have an ownership interest in that intellectual property. One thing I should have considered but did not is that Disney might be able to just close the attraction as a way of crushing the value of Kodak's share in that IP, and make it cheaper/easier to buy it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
It's being reported HERE too.

I like Phineas and Ferb but I'm not sure I'd want them to replace Figment. They've been working over crossovers with Marvel and Star Wars in the cartoon so maybe they will do a "crossover ride".

"Phineas and Ferb meet Dreamfinder and Figment"
That site doesn't even pretend to cite a source. I don't think they're relying on any new information - just reporting the same rumor that has cropped up elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see the Imagination Pavilion get a complete re-do. And I think Phineas & Ferb would be a great vehicle to do it. Figment is cool, and it would be nice if he could be incorporated into a new attraction in some way. But I'd be fine with Imagination moving on from Figment as well.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
You misunderstand. I believe it has been fairly well confirmed that Kodak owns part of the rights to the Figment and Dreamfinder characters.
I welcome any information in this regard. I can't find it.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Quote:

You are correct on all counts. Kodak's relationship with Disney is over regarding Imagination and there is no money changing hands, and it happened before chapter 11 so nothing further on this.
(I am a Kodak authoritative source on this.)

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggieFan View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I am very worried about Figment, after the death of Mr. Toad which I am still go on about! Hoping they go back to something with Dreamfinder and don't get rid of the adorable purple guy! I did read a response on-line earlier today where a person who worked in the Imagination Pavilion store (so they indicated) seemed to know nothing about the rumor that CM's were notified. We aren't going again until February and already miss him, if it is true...
Please oh please oh PLEASE bring back Dreamfinder! Captain EO can go the way of the doodoo for all I care, but please fix up Imagination and bring back Dreamfinder. Not too big on the Phinneas adn Ferb concept, either. I tend to not buy it since they already have such a large presence in World Showcase right now. I can't see them getting a pavilion in Future World, as well.

In any case, please do change Imagination back to what it once was. It's nothing personal with Professor Channing, but he is no Dreamfinder. I so desperately hope it will go back to what it once was. And, for the love of all that is made of cheese, please don't let it sit empty! Wonders of Life and The Odyssey still irritate me when I see those buildings just sitting there.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
How about a mashup of two concepts; Imagination and Sorcerer Mickey magic? It would give them some place to stick that BAH.
OH GOD!! QUIET!! Don't give them any ideas!!

(I'm suddenly picturing the BAH sitting on top of the bigger pyramid)

Quote:
I welcome any information in this regard. I can't find it.
I'm personally finding it really hard to believe Kodak would have any ownership of the Dreamfinder/Figment IP. With the characters developmental legacy being able to be traced to the shelved Discovery Bay project at DLR with Professor Marvel, combined with the fact that based off anecdotal stories and urban legends the biggest input Kodak had into the characters themselves was "Don't make the Dragon Fuji Film Green", I find it hard to believe they'd have a strong enough claim that they were involved enough in the character creation to have IP rights.

I'd find it even harder to believe that Disney would give them IP rights for the character in the original sponsorship deal. [license, sure. IP rights, not likely]
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #28
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
OH GOD!! QUIET!! Don't give them any ideas!!

(I'm suddenly picturing the BAH sitting on top of the bigger pyramid)
How about in place of the pyramid?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You misunderstand. I believe it has been fairly well confirmed that Kodak owns part of the rights to the Figment and Dreamfinder characters.
I thought the same thing about the Orange Bird and the Florida Citrus Commission. I was very pleased to be wrong.

Quote:
That site doesn't even pretend to cite a source.
I just want to give a for using the correct form of site/cite twice in the same sentence.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
How about in place of the pyramid?

BLASPHEMER!!

(as you can tell from my avatar/tattoo, this Pavilion has a special meaning for me...)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: