Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
starousse
DIS Veteran

Disembark then DTD before Flight?

Hi all,
Because we can never get enough of Disney, lol, we're thinking of possibly spending the day at DTD on our disembark day prior to our flight. We'll be taking a7:30 pm flight. We're also doing four nights in WDW prior to the cruise, so we will be getting the DCL transfers. My question is, what would be the best way to still have my luggage get from the ship to the airport, and us still being able to spend the day at DTD. Can my luggage be shipped directly from the cruise to the airport and my family take car service to and fro DTD? Any advice would be great.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
emsmomma
Mouseketeer

I've been thinking about doing the same thing!
emsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
Hi all,
Because we can never get enough of Disney, lol, we're thinking of possibly spending the day at DTD on our disembark day prior to our flight. We'll be taking a7:30 pm flight. We're also doing four nights in WDW prior to the cruise, so we will be getting the DCL transfers. My question is, what would be the best way to still have my luggage get from the ship to the airport, and us still being able to spend the day at DTD. Can my luggage be shipped directly from the cruise to the airport and my family take car service to and fro DTD? Any advice would be great.
On our first cruise, we had an evening flight and decided when we arrived at the airport to rent a car and spend the day at DTD. With the transfer our luggage just went straight through to the airline. That's one way, though probably not the best.

Someone else may have the info on this, but I think DCL will transfer just your luggage but not sure how much the service is or if I'm just imagining it.

The DCL information line could probably give you the info you need.

Hope you have a great time! We spent the day at DTD, had lunch, went shopping. It was a really nice way to end our cruise.
Vidia2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
anna08
DIS Veteran

We have just done a one way rental car fairly cheaply from the Port to MCO so we just took our luggage with us and drove to DTD for the day. It's a really nice way to ease out of Disney-mode and get to lunch at Earl of Sandwich! Then we just head to the airport when it's time to go. Check into the rental cars - you'd be surprised at how cheap you can get it - I think once we got it for $35.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all,
AFAIK, there's really no way to transport just your bags to the airport. What would happen to them once they got there?

Onboard Airline Checkin is only for those people who have booked DCL transfers OR airfare through DCL. And that's how the bags are handled - directly from your room to the airline to your home airport.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Hi all,
Ok...as mentioned DCL will not just transport your luggage without you taking DCL transfers. Luggage transfer is a perk if you take DCL transfers. If you are taking DCL transfers and taking part in the Onboard airline check in program then you can take the DCL bus from the ship (and your luggage will be transported separately to your home airport.) You could then just rent a car for the day from MCO with just your carry ons. I did this last time with my elderly mom. We signed up for the Onboard Airline Check in Program and our boarding passes and luggage tags were delivered to our cabin. We put our checked luggage out in the hall the night before and DCL took it and transported to the airport and put it on a flight to our home airport.

When we got to MCO I just picked up our pre-reserved rental (cost $25 for the day) and went to DTD, rode the monorail around, had lunch at one of the resorts and just drove to the airport before our flight and returned the car.

The only other option would be to rent a car one-way from the port and keep your luggage in the rental while you were at DTD and return it to MCO before your flight. We have done this before as well.

If your flight fits into OAC program criteria below I suggest doing it that way since you said you are already taking DCL transfers. Here is the info from the DCL site:

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In* when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line, such as:
•Receive your boarding passes ahead of time.
•Check your luggage for your return flight before disembarking the ship.
•Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
•Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1.Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line, then request to sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in at the cruise port.
2.On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will be delivered to your stateroom.
3.Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Your luggage will be collected and delivered to your airline for you.
4. Upon arrival at Orlando International Airport, you can proceed to security and continue to your departure gate.

*This service is available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:30 a.m. on the day your cruise ends. Airline specific baggage fee may apply and can vary by airline. Each luggage piece can weigh no more than 50lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

When you get to the airport instead of proceeding to security you would just proceed to the rental car area.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all,
Don't do the DCL transfers after the cruise, rent a car at the port, and drop it off at the airport after DTD. That's what we have done.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
1BabyForBec
Mouseketeer

On my birth board, DTD means "Do the Deed." Whenever I see DTD on disboards.com I giggle!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
scmo44
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
We have just done a one way rental car fairly cheaply from the Port to MCO so we just took our luggage with us and drove to DTD for the day. It's a really nice way to ease out of Disney-mode and get to lunch at Earl of Sandwich! Then we just head to the airport when it's time to go. Check into the rental cars - you'd be surprised at how cheap you can get it - I think once we got it for $35.
This is exactly what we are doing next month! We rented a car from Budget and plan to do DTD and Earl of Sandwich. Can't wait.
scmo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
starousse
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for the great advice. It looks like the cheapest way would be to just do a one way DCL transfer from WL to the ship and then just rent a car for the day for probably under $50, put my luggage in the car and drive to DTD and then drop the car off at the airport. Am I right? lol
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Ok...as mentioned DCL will not just transport your luggage without you taking DCL transfers. Luggage transfer is a perk if you take DCL transfers. If you are taking DCL transfers and taking part in the Onboard airline check in program then you can take the DCL bus from the ship (and your luggage will be transported separately to your home airport.) You could then just rent a car for the day from MCO with just your carry ons. I did this last time with my elderly mom. We signed up for the Onboard Airline Check in Program and our boarding passes and luggage tags were delivered to our cabin. We put our checked luggage out in the hall the night before and DCL took it and transported to the airport and put it on a flight to our home airport.

When we got to MCO I just picked up our pre-reserved rental (cost $25 for the day) and went to DTD, rode the monorail around, had lunch at one of the resorts and just drove to the airport before our flight and returned the car.

The only other option would be to rent a car one-way from the port and keep your luggage in the rental while you were at DTD and return it to MCO before your flight. We have done this before as well.

If your flight fits into OAC program criteria below I suggest doing it that way since you said you are already taking DCL transfers. Here is the info from the DCL site:

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In* when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line, such as:
•Receive your boarding passes ahead of time.
•Check your luggage for your return flight before disembarking the ship.
•Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
•Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.

Here's how it works:
1.Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line, then request to sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in at the cruise port.
2.On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will be delivered to your stateroom.
3.Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Your luggage will be collected and delivered to your airline for you.
4. Upon arrival at Orlando International Airport, you can proceed to security and continue to your departure gate.

*This service is available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:30 a.m. on the day your cruise ends. Airline specific baggage fee may apply and can vary by airline. Each luggage piece can weigh no more than 50lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

When you get to the airport instead of proceeding to security you would just proceed to the rental car area.

MJ

So, I'm confused. I want to do the same thing the OP has asked. Looking at going to DTD for the day prior to my flight.

I have prepaid for DCL transfers. They give you your 'boarding pass' and luggage tags the night before, right?

They pick up your luggage while it is waiting outside your room, and the next time you see your luggage is at your HOME (Buffalo for me), airport.

So then, if I have paid for DCL transfers, and have all this set up, why could I not then take DCL transfers back to WDW?

Someone posted, then who would get the luggage at the airport? Well, is it not taken care of? Does Disney not get it to your airline for you? I thought that was the advantage of using DCL transfers?

Why could this not work, instead of getting a rental?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
So, I'm confused. I want to do the same thing the OP has asked. Looking at going to DTD for the day prior to my flight.

I have prepaid for DCL transfers. They give you your 'boarding pass' and luggage tags the night before, right?

They pick up your luggage while it is waiting outside your room, and the next time you see your luggage is at your HOME (Buffalo for me), airport.

So then, if I have paid for DCL transfers, and have all this set up, why could I not then take DCL transfers back to WDW?

Someone posted, then who would get the luggage at the airport? Well, is it not taken care of? Does Disney not get it to your airline for you? I thought that was the advantage of using DCL transfers?

Let's break it down. If you are just taking DCL transfers and not participating in the OAC (Onboard Airline Check in) program then YOU are responsible to claim your luggage in the terminal and bring it to the bus either to MCO or WDW depending on where you are going. Your luggage rides under the bus you are on.

If you are taking part in the Onboard Airline check in program (criteria in my other post) then you have the perk of having DCL check you in, deliver your boarding passes to your cabin and having DCL handle your luggage to your home airport. DCL basically assigns you to a bus to the airport. I supposed you could ask the CM directing guests to buses if you could take a bus to WDW instead but then you still have to change buses at WDW to get to DTD as there are no direct buses.

If you are just taking DCL transfers and not participating in the OAC program then you would have your luggage with you on the bus so what would you do with it? If at the airport you would check it in for your flight....if you went to WDW and wanted to go to DTD you would first have to get off at a resort with your luggage and then schelp it from the a resort to TTC and then on a bus to DTD.

The reason for the rental is to have a place to store your luggage. DCL only provides "hands free" luggage service TO the port from WDW, not back to WDW.

Just having DCL transfers does not automatically sign you up for OAC program. You must sign up for the program at the port before your cruise (if you meet the criteria).

MJ

The reason you would not take DCL transfers straight to WDW is that the bus does not stop at DTD. The bus goes to resorts and DCL assigns you to a bus to the airport if you are taking part in the OAC program.
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!

Last edited by mmouse37; 08-26-2013 at 04:03 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post

So then, if I have paid for DCL transfers, and have all this set up, why could I not then take DCL transfers back to WDW? Because they know how many people are going to MCO vs WDW. You can't just "get on" a WDW bus, you check in for a particular resort with a CM who then directs you to the proper bus.

Someone posted, then who would get the luggage at the airport? Well, is it not taken care of? Does Disney not get it to your airline for you? I thought that was the advantage of using DCL transfers? If using the OAC your bags are taken care of (I believe it is trucked). If you just want to transport your bags on the bus, there is no one to get the bags at the airport and to your proper airline.

My answers in red.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

Rental Car after cruise

For those of you who have rented a car after the cruise - how long does it take?
When do the shuttles start running?
How bad are the lines once you get to Avis or Budget?
Do you send one person who comes back to port to pick up family/bags or does everyone go so you can get out of there when done?
What time do you generally get to WDW when you go this route? Wondering if I can make a breakfast reservation at a resort hotel?

It seems great but I tried this once in Long Beach after a cruise and there were issues with the rental car. It took so long half our party had to take a cab to not miss their flights. So I'm a little nervous to try this again.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
crbruce_us
AKV and BLT are our vacation homes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpark View Post
For those of you who have rented a car after the cruise - how long does it take?
When do the shuttles start running?
How bad are the lines once you get to Avis or Budget?
Do you send one person who comes back to port to pick up family/bags or does everyone go so you can get out of there when done?
What time do you generally get to WDW when you go this route? Wondering if I can make a breakfast reservation at a resort hotel?

It seems great but I tried this once in Long Beach after a cruise and there were issues with the rental car. It took so long half our party had to take a cab to not miss their flights. So I'm a little nervous to try this again.

Any advice is very much appreciated!
I would like this information too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: