Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
MOpGrad2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPony View Post

Just pulled out the sheets in question.... Target RE brand, 100% cotton, made in Pakistan knit sheets XL twin. They are probably 2-3 yrs old and haven't been used much, don't think I paid more than $20 for them. Very thin and seem like they are close to pilling. Also very stretched out after minimal use, virtually impossible to fold the FLAT sheet it's so whopper-jawed. Color has held up though, no fading to speak of (deep red).
Good to know! DS18 was in target and showed me a picture of the white ones at Target for $18. Right now, he just wants two plain white flat sheets that he can put on his bed "military style" He has been upset about the choices on comforters (even the masculine are feminine. Yuck!)

We ordered from Home Shopping Network. 4 Bath Sheets, Pillow Cases, Tablet w printer (he has free access to computers, fax...) and organizing stuff. Not cheaply priced, but I prefer the FlexPay option and easy returns.

He's really at the "I'll take what we have at the house, see what my roommate has, and get it later" stage. Me, I'm at the "don't look like a refugee when I leave."
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

My DD will be a sophomore. Last year I ordered her sheets from PB Teen and they were AWFUL. They are organic cotton and they are as stiff as a board. I thought they would soften up after washing them but even after washing them multiple times with fabric softener they are still stiff. She ordered a duvet cover from PB Teen this year (because heaven forbid she use the same one as last year) but I told her we will buy the sheets at BB&B so we can feel them first. I have a couple of coupons there, too.

Since my husband decided he didn't feel like packing up her rug when she came home we need to buy her another rug. We may have to go in on a fridge this year, too. I'm hoping that's it for big things.

Last year she got a memory foam mattress topper and she absolutely loved it so I'd definitely recommend getting one.
KAMLEM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post

He's been assigned a roommate, but the only contact info they are given about each other is on the campus intranet. He's "emailed" his roommate, but has not heard back from him. He does not appear to be on Facebook either.
His roommate has not contacted DS. He's a little disappointed. He wants to figure out what to do about a refrigerator, microwave. We don't mind buying him them, but want to make sure his roommate isn't doing the same.
Same for my son! He emailed his roommate, looked for him on the Facebook page (or at least looked for someone who had a name that matched the email) and nothing! He's hoping the guy is away and just didn't get the emails from housing or my son.
Hopefully yours & mine both hear soon - it'll make it easier to wrap up the shopping

So, we have most of what DS needs, I think. We generally took the approach that if he's not sure he should wait & buy it later.

He has:
2 sets of jersey sheets from target
A comforter from kohls
Mattress cover from target
New pillow
egg crate type bed topper from BB&B
A pillow chair thing that goes on his bed from BB&B
A trash can
Shower caddy
Plastic cup
Dish detergent & scrubby
Laptop & mouse
Laptop lock
2 bath towels & hand towels (from our closet - "really, mom, I'm good")
Laundry hamper & basket, detergent, bounce
Toiletries
First aid kit
Shower flip flops
A small fan
Hangers

Still needs:
Printer, ink, paper
USB cable
Safe and/or trunk
Snacks
Shout
Rug (waiting on roommate)

Maybes:
Clear plastic containers
Over door hooks
Drying rack

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I was just on the JCP site this morning, thinking the same thing, but when I searched buy Bedding and then TWIN XL, there was no solid comforters at all. Well, there was one that came in black and white but when I clicked on it, there was not a choice for TWIN XL.

There are some cute bedding choices for girls though!
That's odd. I just looked, and in addition to the bl/white one, there are also two blue plaids and a stripe pattern available in comforters, and at least 5 varieties of solid colors available in twin duvet covers (duvets are good for boys because they can take off and change the cover rather than having to wash the actual quilt, which so many of them don't wish to bother with doing.)

FWIW, most comforters/duvets don't need to be X-long, as they are not going to have to completely wrap the ends of the mattress; only a fitted sheet really HAS to be that size in order to fit.

If you need twin-xl sheets for a guy, the best option is not to restrict yourself to sets that contain the whole bedding package. Buy the components separately and you'll more easily find what you need.

I'm a big fan of cotton blankets, and my kids are used to them as well; I'm pretty sure that they will be packing them for college.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
Last year she got a memory foam mattress topper and she absolutely loved it so I'd definitely recommend getting one.
. My son sleeps on 1 at home that he loves so we bought another to take to college, they are "on sale" at Costco right now for $80. It only comes in regular Twin but I think that will be fine for a topper, it's only 5 inches difference in length and the XL twin toppers we've found are a lot more $$. Think we'll do Costco towels as well if he can handle the colors they have in stock. Debating 2 vs 3 sets.......

Someone asked about bed bug protector? We stayed in the dorm for orientation (my husband's idea ) and the mattresses were the kind that are encased in thick plastic so not sure they would really harbor bedbugs? So I'm thinking that's something that's not necessary?
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
That's odd. I just looked, and in addition to the bl/white one, there are also two blue plaids and a stripe pattern available in comforters, and at least 5 varieties of solid colors available in twin duvet covers (duvets are good for boys because they can take off and change the cover rather than having to wash the actual quilt, which so many of them don't wish to bother with doing.)

FWIW, most comforters/duvets don't need to be X-long, as they are not going to have to completely wrap the ends of the mattress; only a fitted sheet really HAS to be that size in order to fit.

If you need twin-xl sheets for a guy, the best option is not to restrict yourself to sets that contain the whole bedding package. Buy the components separately and you'll more easily find what you need.

I'm a big fan of cotton blankets, and my kids are used to them as well; I'm pretty sure that they will be packing them for college.
I saw the plaid ones, which at least one of them look like a set. The striped patterned one, I really like but he claimed it to be too "feminine" with that lighter blue in it. The only solid one was the black and white. Since I just did my search on 'comforters' that's probably why I missed the duvets. My son has one of them at home so I'm not opposed to that at all, just didn't really think about it.

It will be interesting to see if it even crosses my son's mind to wash his bedding. My DD never did.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
. My son sleeps on 1 at home that he loves so we bought another to take to college, they are "on sale" at Costco right now for $80. It only comes in regular Twin but I think that will be fine for a topper, it's only 5 inches difference in length and the XL twin toppers we've found are a lot more $$. Think we'll do Costco towels as well if he can handle the colors they have in stock. Debating 2 vs 3 sets.......

Someone asked about bed bug protector? We stayed in the dorm for orientation (my husband's idea ) and the mattresses were the kind that are encased in thick plastic so not sure they would really harbor bedbugs? So I'm thinking that's something that's not necessary?
Costco does have a tan/taupe colored towel that probably wouldn't offend a guy too much!!!

I agree about the mattress. They are covered in that thick vinyl and I'm thinking a bedbug couldn't really live in that.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DS is a college Senior this year and DD is a Junior...so we have been down this road a bit! The single best thing I have bought for them is this Twin topper from Costco! If they could only take one item to school, this would be it!! The twin size is fine on the Twin XL Mattress. Trust me parents, get this while it is on sale!

Also, for sheets and towels etc, try to think like colors because they will not be separating anything! I find one set of sheets, two bath towels and 4 wash clothes works well. If they have their own bathroom or 1/2 bath then add two hand towels.
Skatermom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

As someone that went through this last year...a few recommendations:

get those laundry pods, so much easier.

Ikea has small sewing kit and small hardware kit.

an over door clear shoe holder on closet door or wall to hold small misc stuff (may not work for guys...lol)

My DD has more fold up clothes than hanging type, so we got the hanging sweater and shoe shelves for her closet.

Extension cords & Power strips (buy more than you think you need and return what you don't use)

3M hooks (can't have too many)
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran

Don't forget the Command Strips and hooks! I should have taken out stock in 3M when my kids started school. I buy a ton of these every year!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatermom23 View Post
The single best thing I have bought for them is this Twin topper from Costco! If they could only take one item to school, this would be it!! The twin size is fine on the Twin XL Mattress. Trust me parents, get this while it is on sale!
Glad to hear it works well with the XL twin mattress. My son has slept on the Costco topper for a couple years and has been very pleased with it. His biggest concern was it being warmer to sleep on but that's not been the case at all in his experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueInBoston View Post

3M hooks (can't have too many)
Thanks for the suggestions. I keep hearing to buy plenty of 3M command hooks but am wondering what kids use them for? And is there a need for the smaller sized ones or just buy all one size - biggest - and use for everything?

THANKS!
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE
I keep hearing to buy plenty of 3M command hooks but am wondering what kids use them for? And is there a need for the smaller sized ones or just buy all one size - biggest - and use for everything?

THANKS![/QUOTE]

My kids use them to hang towels, swiffers, backpacks, purses and bathrobes.
The large hooks seem to be used most.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #28
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

DS wants sheets, comforter, towels, hamper, a fridge and paper products. My niece recommended lots of paper plates since they don't want to bother with havin to wash dishes.

We should be aw to wrap his shopping up quickly.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #29
JBurke
WL VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
DS wants sheets, comforter, towels, hamper, a fridge and paper products. My niece recommended lots of paper plates since they don't want to bother with havin to wash dishes.

We should be aw to wrap his shopping up quickly.
My DD will be starting her 2nd year of college this year and has also requested paper plates and utensils as she hated washing her plastic ones last year.

WL 10/96
WL 10/01
WL 08/03
POR 07/10

JBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
MOpGrad2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurke View Post
My DD will be starting her 2nd year of college this year and has also requested paper plates and utensils as she hated washing her plastic ones last year.
I was all set to buy those plastic picnic dish sets, but DS said he didn't want to go through the difficulty of washing them. His sister said, "Yeah, in the bathroom...You'll be showering with your dishes!" He said he wants the disposables--plates and cups. Besides, Mom, the mess hall allows us to take the plates and silverware out on the weekends.

Asked about the Keurig style coffee maker. "Maybe next sememster. Right now I'll just buy coffee in the CyberCafe." His meal plan comes with money set aside for that.

But he definitely wants a Brita pitcher and the water bottles with the filters. His older brother (also a freshman, but in an apartment) asked me to add that to his shopping list.

Has anybody heard about these UV Germ killers? BBBeyond recommends them on their dorm checklist, but I believe a bit of good cleaning and hot water should be enough. Plus the price!!

Checking out the RHL website. WOW! He found stuff he likes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: