Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Official Dorm Shopping Thread 2013! Stop In and Chat!

So, I thought I'd start a dorm shopping thread for all our soon-to-be college students.

I am the shopper for a BOY and I"m finding it vastly different that when I shopped for my daughter. He doesn't really want to shop and the only requirement is that I should "get it in blue."

I was trying to avoid Target this year because we weren't overly pleased with the bedding quality that my DD got 4 years ago. She thought her comfortor was never "warm enough" and the sheets were rough.

I haven't had much luck anywhere else, especially for guys. If a store has 10 comforters out, only one of them will not have flowers, swirls, tie dye, or cheetah print!! So, while dealing with someone who has very conservative decorating needs, I'm also dealing with very minor "guy" selection at the stores.

My Marshall's and TJ Maxx have put nothing out yet and I was very disappointed in what Bed, Bath, and Beyond had last weekend (I found one brown comforter and it felt so cheap).

Of course PB Teen has a nice selection but $$$$$..

So, tell me, have you found anything interesting, any must haves? How many towels are you sending up with your student? I"m thinking three?

My first purchase was today and I got a personal lockbox type thing because my son has some medications that we felt should be kept under lock as they are apparently very desirable. I'll have him put his checkbook and an emergency credit card in there too.

After that, I've done nothing!!

I plan on probably getting some towels at Costco.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95

Last edited by Christine; 07-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
krcit
DIS Veteran

We went to Bed, Bath and Beyond this weekend. She picked out some things and they will be ready for pick up at the store by her school the day we move in. She got a hamper, a laundry bag, 2 comforters(she couldn't decide so we ordered both, anything you decide against you just don't accept when picking up her order) I bought her some hangers, some washcloths.. I had already ordered her 4 big bath towels. Oh, we got a lamp and a mirror for her desk. She picked out this bungee type chair that folds up. I am ordering her a set of dishes on Amazon. Corelle. Hmmm, I know I have so much more to get. She needs a laptop lock and a lockbox thing. So overwhelming.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Most colleges have a list on their websites as to what is needed for a dorm room, and especially what is not allowed. Then there are the frivolities that the freshman thinks he/she needs, but never uses. It's a pain in the behind to haul all that stuff in and out, IMO.

Right now DD19 has all her needed things in a rubbermaid bin in the dining room. Only things not included are her clothing and toiletries. She's a sophomore, and the amount of crap she 'needed' last year has thinned out quite nicely.

Two sets of sheets are now down to one. She washes them and puts them back on her bed.

Towels - 3 are probably 1 too many, but she likes her color combination and can't 'give one up'

1 comforter and 1 quilt - she should just have 1, but the quilt is sentimental as I made it out of her old dance costumes and it has her name across the middle (made out of trimmings from her costumes). Problem is, the quilt is not long enough to cover her entirely, oops!

1 clip-on lamp, 1 waste basket, 1 clip-on fan, 1 window fan.

1 electric teapot and 2 mugs. She wants to bring all of her baking supplies, ugh...

1 small rug for beside her bed, 3 pillows are downsized from the 5 she 'needed' last year.

We do need to replace her desk lamp, as we broke it on the way home this year!

Now, if she could make do with half the amount of clothing and shoes...
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Shopping for a boy here too...who really wants nothing. So far we have one set of gray jersey material sheets from Target, gray towels my sister bought him for graduation, and a black comforter I got at Target. I will pick up an additional set of sheets, a rug, a fan. He is purchasing a refrigerator and a laptop to take to class. He is taking his HUGE desktop computer....which I think he will find takes up way too much space, but he is a Computer Science major and a major geek and HATES laptops...so we will let him haul it up there. Will do a small first aid kit, with some basic meds too. Hadn't thought about a desk lamp, might add that to the list.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
Shopping for a boy here too...who really wants nothing. So far we have one set of gray jersey material sheets from Target, gray towels my sister bought him for graduation, and a black comforter I got at Target. I will pick up an additional set of sheets, a rug, a fan. He is purchasing a refrigerator and a laptop to take to class. He is taking his HUGE desktop computer....which I think he will find takes up way too much space, but he is a Computer Science major and a major geek and HATES laptops...so we will let him haul it up there. Will do a small first aid kit, with some basic meds too. Hadn't thought about a desk lamp, might add that to the list.

Hi Katy Belle! I think you're the brilliant person who suggested gray linens in the first place! I love it. My DS isn't going to college until next year, but I don't want to break the bank trying to get stuff all at once next summer so I'm trying to pick up some things now as they go on sale.

Those gray jersey sheets from Target -- how do they feel? I saw them on sale on their website, and was going to stop in and see if they were the same price in the store. On sale, they're a good deal cheaper than the charcoal gray ones I got last year at Walmart when DS went to stay at his chosen college for a summer program. Would love to go ahead and pick up 1 more set of sheets if they're decent, since jersey is the only kind he likes.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Regarding the jersey sheets from Target--hopefully PlutoPony will chime in on this thread. She told me that she had previously bought the Target Jersey sheets and they didn't hold up well. I can't remember what her comments were. Maybe a lot of pilling or something. I know she was looking for some comments on a different place to get them.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Thanks for starting this thread, Christine! I have a freshman DS going to school a month from today! We have a good start, but seemed to have stalled in making a decision with the rest of the stuff he may need/want. Actually, at first it was "I don't need anything other than the basics." And it was like, survival basic, lol. He's warmed up now to the idea of a few more things and ideas, thank goodness. I keep emphasizing to him that this is your home away from home...

The first vent/mini rant I have to state here is that there is NOTHING for boys/guys compared to what there is for girls! My DD is going to be a junior in HS and keeps asking if she can start dorm shopping now, there are so many cute things! (My obvious answer to her was no )

I've also looked in Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target, Walmart, and Pottery Barn Teen, yeah no to that one with college tuition. There just isn't much out there for guys. We ended up settling for a navy blue xl comforter from Target with gift cards he got for graduation, and now I'm nervous about the quality after hearing it was disappointing quality. We did get sheets there too, but plan on ordering another set online and flannel sheets when they come out in season. Some warm, fuzzy blankets too.

DS keeps saying he doesn't want to be "that guy" with all the fru fru stuff in his room. Ok~ so for now, we're sticking to the basics.

So far, we have:

twin xl mattress pad (Bed, Bath and Beyond)

(an aside here...some friends are insisting on getting a bed bug protector...they are like $70 for a twin xl...necessary?? not sure... what do you all think?)

twin xl sheets, one set, (Target) will order another one
twin xl blanket (Target)
twin xl comforter (Target)
Extra pillow cases for extra pillows (Walmart)
Pillows~ had plenty from home~ plan on getting pillow protectors

3 sets of bath and hand towels (Target)

Shower caddy (Target) DS fought me tooth and nail on this one...said he doesn't want one, but his bathroom is typical dorm down the hall~ I keep saying what else are you going to carry all your stuff in. I bought it anyway, I think it's a more guyish one, but he said he won't use it. What do other guys do?

3 cube storage crates, standard size (Container Store)
2 small cube crates for the shelf on top of his desk (Walmart)
canvass hanging storage shelves for his closet (which is tiny) (Container Store)
hangers
over the door hooks for coats, backpacks, towels? (What do kids do with their wet towels? )(Bed, Bath and Beyond)
pop up mesh hamper

computer lock (Best Buy)
usb cord for his printer (they have print centers, but he was told at orientation it's a good idea to have your own since they're not always reliable~ that ok, because he already has his own printer) (Best Buy)

Desk Lamp (Bed, Bath and Beyond)
Book Light
Fan (has from his room at home, just a standard table top fan)

He's been assigned a roommate, but the only contact info they are given about each other is on the campus intranet. He's "emailed" his roommate, but has not heard back from him. He does not appear to be on Facebook either.
His roommate has not contacted DS. He's a little disappointed. He wants to figure out what to do about a refrigerator, microwave. We don't mind buying him them, but want to make sure his roommate isn't doing the same.

For a resource, I am ordering extra sheets from here:
http://www.rhl.org/
I've had several friends order from them and they seem to be happy with their products so far.

We still have more shopping to do!

Looking forward to hearing about what everyone else is doing~

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

JCPenney always offers some comforters in solid plain colors, and they also are doing so this year.

Right now they are having a sale on bedding as well.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
JCPenney always offers some comforters in solid plain colors, and they also are doing so this year.

I was just on the JCP site this morning, thinking the same thing, but when I searched buy Bedding and then TWIN XL, there was no solid comforters at all. Well, there was one that came in black and white but when I clicked on it, there was not a choice for TWIN XL.

There are some cute bedding choices for girls though!

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
now I'm nervous about the quality after hearing it was disappointing quality. We did get sheets there too, but plan on ordering another set online and flannel sheets when they come out in season. Some warm, fuzzy blankets too.
I find that the enjoyment of sheets and comforters is VERY subjective.

I've apparently raised two Princess and the Pea types!! I'm super picky about my sheets. My kids, I thought would never care about them as kids generally don't care, but when they had to lay on cheap bedding, well, they noticed!!! Some people might think the same stuff is fine.

My DD's comforter felt pretty good, but for some reason she just felt she never got warm enough with it. Maybe her dorm room was cold, who knows. I just figured I'd try to get my son something a little nicer. However, he's always hot so, for him, I'm probably worrying too much about it and will probably end up with the Target comforter. I do think I'm going to try harder to find some nice sheets, even if I have to pay extra. You can almost deal with a so-so comforter as long as what's next to your skin is nice.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Regarding the jersey sheets from Target--hopefully PlutoPony will chime in on this thread. She told me that she had previously bought the Target Jersey sheets and they didn't hold up well. I can't remember what her comments were. Maybe a lot of pilling or something. I know she was looking for some comments on a different place to get them.

Just pulled out the sheets in question.... Target RE brand, 100% cotton, made in Pakistan knit sheets XL twin. They are probably 2-3 yrs old and haven't been used much, don't think I paid more than $20 for them. Very thin and seem like they are close to pilling. Also very stretched out after minimal use, virtually impossible to fold the FLAT sheet it's so whopper-jawed. Color has held up though, no fading to speak of (deep red).

Our problem is we're spoiled by Lands End knit sheets. Used to get phenomenal bargains on them via overstocks. Soft and last forever. Am considering splurging on 1 set of them for my son (since I doubt if he'll change his sheets very often ) and their 30% sale may be the best price we will see. BBB knit sheets are Model material and don't think they'll wear well plus colors aren't great for guys imo.

Anyone have other good ideas on knit sheets?
TIA!
PlutoPony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Fans!

For those whose students are not in a/c dorms, what kind (size,style) fan are you looking at? Thinking a box fan for the window would be helpful and then a 2nd one in the room that oscillates? Or would an inexpensive thin tower fan work better? Need to get this soon while the cheaper models are still in the stores!
PlutoPony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPony View Post
For those whose students are not in a/c dorms, what kind (size,style) fan are you looking at? Thinking a box fan for the window would be helpful and then a 2nd one in the room that oscillates? Or would an inexpensive thin tower fan work better? Need to get this soon while the cheaper models are still in the stores!
When my DD was in a non-AC dorm, they had the window fan. My son uses one of those tower fans and I actually think it works pretty good and it produces a good "white noise" that doesn't get annoying like some oscillating fans can get after prolonged use.

I think I bought my tower fan at Costco and as a bonus it came with a mini tower that my son uses on his nightstand. He's been happy with those. Not sure if Costco still carries the same product though.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I also have a DS going next month.

I ordered him the campus collection from residence hall linens. It's probably not going to be the best quality stuff, but he's an 18 yr old boy who probably won't even wash his sheets all semester so I wasn't looking to pay for top quality (and I don't really like shopping).

The package came with the following:
•2 extra-long flat sheets
•2 extra-long fitted sheets
•4 standard pillow cases
•2 extra-fluffy pillows
•1 extra-long reversible comforter
•1 extra-soft fleece throw
•1 extra-long quilted mattress pad
•1 extra-long egg crate pad
•2 all-cotton bath towels
•2 matching cotton hand towels
•2 matching cotton wash cloths
•2 oversized bath sheets
•1 hamper
•1 underbed storage solution
•1 bedside buddy
•1 extra-long thermal cotton blanket

It was $209 with free shipping.

I also got him a shower caddy with flipflops from the same website for $20.

In keeping with my "not liking to shop" mode, I went online to Amazon and ordered him a bunch of stuff too, like a bedside lamp, a fan, a clip on light for his bed if he's reading in bed, a leatherman pocket gizmo that has screwdriver, pliars, scissors, etc; command hooks for the wall(no holes required), a set of 8" bed raisers, a powerstrip, and a first alert safe that fits a laptop (along with cable to attach it to the bedframe).

Over the weekend, I felt motivated to get to a store (target) and I bought him a bunch of stuff like facewash, shampoo, toothpaste/toothbrush, shaving stuff, pens, pencils, glue, markers, sharpies, corkboard with pushpins, plastic laundry basket, and plastic 3 drawer tower.

I still have to get a microwave, laptop, printer, notebooks/binders/folders, but I think he needs to be involved in these (well maybe not the microwave).

I feel pretty accomplished (and poor).

My Sept 2012 actual trip report
All the makings of a Disaster

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: