Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Be Our Guest

When I think back through all the fun and exciting dining opportunities I have had lately, none stand out as clearly as Be Our Guest. Maybe it's because Beauty And The Beast just started playing on my Pandora, but I think it's because it was a truly magical experience.

I was never lucky enough to actually score a reservation for BOG, besides one that was six months in advance. By the time I actually started checking, that meant November.

I really didn't want to wait that long, so I thought about testing my luck and trying a walk up. Perhaps it was my over-the-top-excitement, Disney charm, or simply that someone cancelled, but regardless of the reason, we made it in!

We entered the restaurant around 9:30 pm. As we walked down the stone bridge, I could hardly believe we were actually entering the Beast's castle.

We paused on the threshold as our hostess gallantly asked us to "Be Our Guest!" before pulling open the double doors and opening up a fantasy.

The West Wing

This place is truly amazing. I know you have probably read 500,000,000,000 reviews on the subject, but let me tell you: there is nothing like seeing it in person. The towering ballroom windows, the thundering lighting from the West Wing, and of course, the Master himself transport you directly into the film.

We were freaking out, and totally excited about everything. The rose napkins were especially wonderful! Our server was excellent, and she kept our excitement continuing. She even let us keep our menus! Mine is currently sitting on my dresser.

Now, on to the food! Unlike several people, I found the food to be quite delicious. The meal started with French Onion Soup. The cheese was thick and stringy, but the soup fell somewhat flat for me. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't as yummy as I was hoping.

The bread service, on the other hand, started the meal off perfectly. The bread was warm and crispy on the outside, but soft in the middle.

Next up was the entrees! I was looking to try something unique, so I went for the Ratatouille. It was so yummy! It is a vegetarian dish, with quinoa and roasted vegetables, topped with a fried leaf, but I honestly can't remember which one

It was thick, hearty, and filling! But more than that, I found it positively yummy! The flavors burst in my mouth, dancing like Belle and the Beast. I ate every bit of it and enjoyed it immensely.

My dining partner got the salmon and potatoes. Again, I really enjoyed her dish. The salmon was moist and tender, the potatoes beautifully seasoned. Overall, we both really enjoyed our meals!

We decided to forego dessert this time, but a few days later, I went back to BOG and picked up a cupcake so I could at least have something to write about!

The cupcake was moist and the meringue spongy. The lemon curd filling was heavenly. My only real complaint is the size! This cupcake isn't the normal, replace-a-meal, type of cupcakes at Disney. It is smaller and more suited to a dessert, but it is also the same price as the ginormous cupcakes.

The Grey Stuff is a cookies-and-cream mousse with candied beads.

The desserts at lunch are the same at dinner, with one exception: the Grey Stuff. Now, normally this decadent dessert is saved for special celebrations. I think our enthusiasm may have been contagious, because our lovely server, Kimberly, brought us some anyway, even though the only thing we were celebrating was getting into Be Our Guest!

Also, Kimberly, if you ever come across this, please know how fantastic a Cast Member you are. You made our night magical!

We finished off our night by meeting the Beast. Perhaps one of the most magical experiences of my entire Disney career to date occurred here. As the Beast was preparing to depart the ballroom for his bedchambers, I had the chance to walk arm-in-arm with him through the empty restaurant. We wandered the empty ballroom before he departed with a little bow. For me, that made my night!

Overall, my Be Our Guest experience was incredibly magical. Lunch a few days later just felt rushed and busy. I didn't get the personal, magical feeling we had at dinner. The food was yummy, but not the most incredible food ever. However, the atmosphere more than made up for it! I loved this place and would go back in a heartbeat!
I am a Disney fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and now a WDW Cast Member. Follow my blog, www.lizzieindisney.blogspot.com for tips, tricks, and dining reviews. And follow me on Twitter @lizzieindisney or Facebook, facebook.com/lizzieindisney

My Dining Review Thread:Living in Disney means Food! My Fine Dining Adventure
LizzieinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

Lizzie,

You are my long lost sister! Could not have said it better myself. I am so happy you get to be there at Disney. Keep em coming.

Last edited by Eeyore's Wife; 08-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Eeyore's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #33
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

This is such a wonderful report. Thank you for sharing your experience

Feb 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
momabbate
Mouseketeer

I think you have moved BOG to the top of my list. The Layered Ratatouille sounds delish. Can't wait to see where you eat next!
momabbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Wife View Post
Lizzie,

You are my long lost sister! Could not have said it better myself. I am so happy you get to be there at Disney. Keep em coming.
Thanks! Sometimes, I walk into Magic Kingdom unable to believe I actually live here. Don't worry, there are plenty more reports to come! Have a great afternoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B View Post
This is such a wonderful report. Thank you for sharing your experience
Of course! I know I am incredibly blessed to be living here, so it makes me excited to have the opportunity to share those experiences with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabbate View Post
I think you have moved BOG to the top of my list. The Layered Ratatouille sounds delish. Can't wait to see where you eat next!
Yes! If you can get a reservation, please go! I know some people have been very unhappy with the food, but I loved it. Maybe I'm just not picky enough... Tomorrow, we are trying somewhere a little off the beaten track by heading to Captains Grille at Yacht and Beach. I'm excited to try something new!
I am a Disney fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and now a WDW Cast Member. Follow my blog, www.lizzieindisney.blogspot.com for tips, tricks, and dining reviews. And follow me on Twitter @lizzieindisney or Facebook, facebook.com/lizzieindisney

Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Love your reviews so far! Your BOG meal and experience just sound amazing Can't wait to read about your next Disney culinary adventure!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #37
Cavners5
Earning My Ears

We are also in the planning stages for 10/2015!!!! I know, early but one can never be too prepared for a party of 10...love your posts, can't wait for the next one
DL BWPPI 06/07 YOADDL DS 5th 03/08/06 DD Adoption Hawaii 08/06 DL 50th AP Invit 05/05/05
DL 06/05
DL 04/04, 09/04 PAPDL 02/03 PAPDL 2002DL DS 5th 08/27/01 DLHDL Paradise Pier Hotel 1998
Cavners5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #38
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Whispering Canyon Cafe

Warning: this post will make you run to your freezer for the nearest gallon of ice cream. You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk.

When we are talking about restaurants that aren't often populated, Whispering Canyon Cafe comes to mind. I know many people head here for dinner, but we decided to break tradition and check it out for lunch. That might just have been one of the best life decisions I have made recently

If you know anything about me, you know that I love ice cream. I mean LOVE it. Like, I could probably eat four Mickey bars in a day, no questions asked (Confession: one day, I did eat three but, that's because they were free at a Cast Party!). So, for me, I knew there would be no better place than Whispering Canyon, because THEY HAVE BOTTOMLESS MILKSHAKES. Oh. My. Goodness.

This quaint spot is inside the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge. If you have ever been to Yellowstone National Park, take the Old Faithful Lodge and transport it to Disney. Viola! You have the Wilderness Lodge. With soaring oak beams, colorful Native American designs, and rustic furniture, you will promise you have just been transported to the Redwood Forest of yesterday.

If you have time while waiting for your reservation, wander the lobby. There is a river that runs through it!

The view from the lobby. The river feeds into the pool.

Once your name is called, you enter a magical world of bottomless milkshakes, crazy antics, and yummy food! The restaurant is, of course, cowboys and indians themed. It reminded me of the perfect fort I would have loved to play in as a child. Like something out of my little girl Western dreams.

Seriously, I love the theming here.

Looking over the menu, I knew there was only thing I absolutely-positivily-will-die-if-I-don't-get-it: BOTTOMLESS MILKSHAKES! I started off with vanilla, which was perfectly creamy and delightful. Just as my daddy used to make them on a hot Sunday afternoon. This was the perfect beginning to my meal.

After downing half my milkshake, I knew that if I was going to keep some room for any more, my meal would have to be light. Therefore, I rustled up a kids menu and went for the catch of the day: salmon! Tip: There is no taboo on adults ordering kids meals as long as you are paying OOP. If you love milkshakes as much as I do, I recommend ordering a kid's meal at WCC. Know why? MORE ROOM FOR MILKSHAKES!

You know what else is really awesome about kids meals? They come on Mickey plates! And, your drink is included

Everything is in Mason Jars, adding to the Old West feel.

The salmon was yummy. It was tender and fell apart nicely. Not the best salmon in the world, but for a Disney kids meal, I thought it fit the bill nicely. Besides, I could enjoy my third and fourth milkshake while my friends were still trying to eat their meals. For their food, all three of them tried the pulled pork sandwich. I tried a bite, and it was very good. The pulled pork had plenty of barbecue sauce! It came with coleslaw and french fries.

The Pulled Pork Sandwich

And just because you can never have too many milkshake pictures, here are a few more! This is the chocolate milkshake and the strawberry milkshake

My dining buddy had her heart set on chocolate cake, so she tried it. It was incredible. If I didn't just have three milkshakes, I would have gotten some myself! It was a thick, moist, cake with a heavenly ganache.

Because we were there at lunch, the antics were not nearly as crazy as I had heard. There were only about three other tables with diners, so the restaurant was fairly empty. We had an incredible server who happened to be awarded one of this year's Legacy Badges. He did an excellent job, but no crazy antics. Until we asked for ketchup...

If you want one ketchup bottle, you might as well have 27!

Of course, as soon as someone else asked for ketchup, we were the lucky Pony Express who got to deliver it. But hey, it is all part of the fun!

Just as freebie, aren't these salt and pepper shakers adorable?

Overall, we had an amazing time at WCC. Yes, it was very quiet, so we didn't get to enjoy the antics. But the food was yummy, and the milkshakes would have given an good Pony Express rider a run for his money. Oh, I'm dreaming about them now...I might have to make a trip to WCC this week...

If you are at Magic Kingdom and looking for a good spot for lunch, don't hesitate to try Whispering Canyon Cafe. It is a just a quick boat ride to the home of bottomless milkshakes!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #39
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills Mom View Post
Love your reviews so far! Your BOG meal and experience just sound amazing Can't wait to read about your next Disney culinary adventure!
Thanks! It truly was. One of my favorite Disney meals to date, but Sanaa is a close second! Funny story, I actually had the designer of Sanaa at my store the other day! You can tell I am a true foodie, because that made my day Sort of like a celebrity sighting for me.... Thanks for commenting, it's great to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavners5 View Post
We are also in the planning stages for 10/2015!!!! I know, early but one can never be too prepared for a party of 10...love your posts, can't wait for the next one
You are right, it is NEVER too early to plan! I planned my trip to Europe for four years, so I totally get it. Yay for big groups in Disney!!!!! That will be so fun. Thanks for dropping in, good to hear from you! Have SO much fun planning your trip!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tip about ordering kids meals - I always feel uncomfortable about what is and isn't allowed (oop) and would often love to order just an app and drink at lunch or a kids meal and drink. Great to know this is considered ok.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #41
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Thanks for the review of the ratatouille. That looks great! I love the "fried leaf" on top.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #42
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Based on your review of WCC, I have just added that to our list of 'possibles' for March.

Enjoying your reviews so far, keep them coming
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
sbkzb
Earning My Ears

[than Whispering Canyon, because THEY HAVE BOTTOMLESS MILKSHAKES. Oh. My. Goodness. [/B]

My sil and bil and their kids are there tonight for dinner! Seems like such a fun place! I hope they know about the milkshakes! Yum! I think this is a must for my family next visit.
sbkzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #44
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Thanks for the tip about ordering kids meals - I always feel uncomfortable about what is and isn't allowed (oop) and would often love to order just an app and drink at lunch or a kids meal and drink. Great to know this is considered ok.
It is totally okay! I often order a kids meal, and several times we have ordered just apps and drinks. At Disney, whatever you would like is totally okay Believe me, I have been through the training...Next time, please don't hesitate to order whatever you would like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
Thanks for the review of the ratatouille. That looks great! I love the "fried leaf" on top.
Ha ha, don't you love my very technical and accurate cooking terms? It was super yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Based on your review of WCC, I have just added that to our list of 'possibles' for March.

Enjoying your reviews so far, keep them coming
Aw, thanks! Please, please try WCC! You won't regret it. I forgot to mention, someone told me you can get carmel milkshakes if you ask! I hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkzb View Post
[than Whispering Canyon, because THEY HAVE BOTTOMLESS MILKSHAKES. Oh. My. Goodness. [/B]

My sil and bil and their kids are there tonight for dinner! Seems like such a fun place! I hope they know about the milkshakes! Yum! I think this is a must for my family next visit.
Yes please! I don't think you can go to WCC without getting a milkshake. It needs to be a Disney requirement. I hope you and your family enjoy it. You will have to let me know what you think!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #45
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkzb View Post

What's awesome about the bottomless milkshakes is that on the DDP they count as a beverage, this way you still get your dessert and can wash it down with another milkshake.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: