Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
rbishopmd
Earning My Ears

Joining in! We have been to WDW so many times and the food is one of our favorite things. Deciding where to go, and what to try or our trip 4/14. Looking forward to reading your reviews.
rbishopmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
ChasingAriel
Earning My Ears

Joining in!
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Subscribing! I've always been curious about Trail's End!
Please try it! It was amazing, and a quick boat ride from Magic Kingdom. Depending on where you are staying, it might be a good place for breakfast before a park day. Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbishopmd View Post
Joining in! We have been to WDW so many times and the food is one of our favorite things. Deciding where to go, and what to try or our trip 4/14. Looking forward to reading your reviews.
Thanks! Glad to have you along. Yay for planning Disney trips! Half the fun of a vacation is planning it. Hope you come up with some awesome restaurants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingAriel View Post
Joining in!
Thanks! So excited to have you along for all this foodie fun!
I am a Disney fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and now a WDW Cast Member. Follow my blog, www.lizzieindisney.blogspot.com for tips, tricks, and dining reviews. And follow me on Twitter @lizzieindisney or Facebook, facebook.com/lizzieindisney

My Dining Review Thread:Living in Disney means Food! My Fine Dining Adventure
LizzieinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Living in Disney = HUGE envy!!!!!!!!

Great start to your reviews - if I were young enough to be on the college programme I would definitely double my weight while there :

Looking forward to more

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Living in Disney = HUGE envy!!!!!!!!

Great start to your reviews - if I were young enough to be on the college programme I would definitely double my weight while there :

Looking forward to more
I totally hear you But the best part is, after an awesome meal, we head to the Magic Kingdom to walk it all off! Thanks for joining it, it's great to have you!
I am a Disney fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and now a WDW Cast Member. Follow my blog, www.lizzieindisney.blogspot.com for tips, tricks, and dining reviews. And follow me on Twitter @lizzieindisney or Facebook, facebook.com/lizzieindisney

Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Olivia's Cafe, Old Key West

Yay!!!!! It's my Friday!!!! Which means I have time to sit down and do another dining review. For those of you who don't know, Disney schedules are crazy, and rarely are my weekends on the weekend. But enough of that and on to the food!

This wonderful walkway that leads the way to Olivia's!

Last week, a good friend and I had the chance to try Olivia's Cafe in the Old Key West resort. The atmosphere of this place is wonderful. It truly feels like you are coming home. You step through the front door of Olivia's, and you are surrounded by pictures of DVC members having an amazing time at Disney. I felt like I was admiring someone's refrigerator door.

PS: Sorry for the terrible pictures, it was a rough camera day. Usually, things don't turn out this bad!

And just like I always learn a lot about a person from a refrigerator, you learn a lot about Olivia's from their wall. Mainly, the fact that to them, you are family.

The quaint little restaurant is an eclectic jumble of mismatched chairs, strong wooden tables, and small details that make you feel like you are back at a country restaurant in small town America. Look for the rack of newspapers!

As you sit down, your server will bring by coloring pages and crayons for the little kids and the big kids too! We were a party of adults only and still gladly accepted our coloring supplies! Each table is equipped with it's own selection of crayons.

Now, on to the good stuff, the food! Oh. My. Goodness. I am still dreaming about the Banana Bread French Toast! Light and fluffy, this toast didn't even need the rum sauce. A thick rum sauce is included with the toast. Because I don't particularly enjoy the taste of rum, I got my sauce in a little dish on the side. And while it was okay, I much preferred the toast on it's own.

It was very sweet in its own right! I also slathered it with whipped cream, because what is french toast without whipped cream? Included in the meal was sausage or hash browns. There is no breakfast meat I love more than sausage! Overall, my meal was incredible. The bread was light and fluffy, perfectly good, and with the right amount of sweetness. The meat had a great taste, nicely spiced and well cooked.

My dining partner got biscuits and gravy. The gravy was thick, but not too salty. I had several bites of hers, and it was yummy! She declared it good, but not quite as wonderful as true southern biscuits and gravy.

We finished off our meal completely content and very full! Olivia's is a great place to celebrate a birthday or special occasion. I think we sang Happy Birthday at least 4 times during our meal, and also cheered and clapped for an engagement and an anniversary.

If you are looking for a quiet breakfast, this isn't it. But if you want somewhere to feel at home, where you are surrounded by family pictures and amazing food, then give Olivia's a try on your next trip!

I threw in this picture just for fun, because I liked it

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

The Grand Floridian Cafe

The Grand Floridian Cafe is one of those places that is under appreciated in the Disney food regime. Rarely do you need an ADR and the experience is lovely! If you are looking for somewhere to do a lovely afternoon meal, but don't want the hustle and bustle of quick service, jump on the monorail and try The Grand Floridian Cafe!

For me, anything in the Grand Floridian is going to be elegant, and the Cafe is no exception. Everything here makes you feel as if you have been transported back to the Victorian era. The warm floral wallpaper, the white wooden chairs, and the red rose on every table reminded me of a ballroom.

I half expected a prince and princess to come waltzing down the middle of the restaurant. However, don't feel like you can't wear your shorts and t-shirts here. It is a great break from a long day at the Magic Kingdom, and you won't feel out of place in your tourist finery!

We were seated immediately at a lovely round table overlooking the grounds of the resort. The lace draperies were pulled back, allowing us to be washed in the soft sunlight.

We had a wonderful server who was very attentive to all our needs. Her meal recommendations allowed us to have an incredible meal! We decided to forego starters this time, as I knew a dessert would be waiting on the horizon.

After scouring the menu, I knew there was only one consensus for this meal: The Grand Sandwich! This sandwich had the most heavenly white cheese sauce to accompany it.

Our waitress suggested having extra sauce on the side, and I am glad she did. I easily could have drank a cup of that sauce, forget about having it on the sandwich.

Crispy onion straws topped the monstrous pile of meat, cheese, bread, and sauce. This was one sandwich I would be eating with a fork and knife. The bread was toasted and crunchy, working perfectly with the creamy sauce and meats. Overall, this sandwich was amazing. It was a huge portion of food, I couldn't finish the whole thing.

Next up was dessert, and of course, there is nothing better than the dessert sampler! We split this between three people and I felt it was the perfect finish to a meal. Granted, I could always go for more lemon cheesecake, but after that massive sandwich, this was a good amount.

The sampler included a solid chocolate Mickey, a lemon cheesecake, boston creme pie, key lime tart, and berry almond tart. The lemon cheesecake and berry almond tart topped my list.

I really enjoyed the chocolate crust on the key lime tart, I would never have considered those two together, but it worked really well!

The Key Lime Tart

The boston creme pie was good, but I would have enjoyed a double portion of the lemon cheesecake instead.

The Boston Creme Pie and Berry Almond Tart

The cheesecake was creamy and fluffy, with the perfect amount of lemon without overdoing it.

The Lemon Cheesecake

Overall, our meal at the Grand Floridian Cafe was a wonderful afternoon. Next time you want an elegant table service meal without an ADR, head over to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Get the Grand Sandwich with extra sauce on the side. You won't regret it!

Our dining group in front of the Cafe

Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
tluvstink
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! We tried GFC for the first time a few years ago and loved it! I can't wait to go back

Terri
tluvstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #24
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvstink View Post
Great reviews! We tried GFC for the first time a few years ago and loved it! I can't wait to go back

Terri
Thanks for joining in! I loved it too, but sadly, so many people don't give it a chance. It is a lovely spot!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

What a great idea. Love your reviews so far. That banana bread French toast looks divine!
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
What a great idea. Love your reviews so far. That banana bread French toast looks divine!
Oh my goodness, it was! Divine is the perfect word I can't wait to go back! Thanks for joining it, it's great to have you!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Mom2Stitch
Mouseketeer

Awesome reviews so far, thank you Sanaa looks amazing, we might have to try it on our trip in September.

Also wanted to say I read your blog and love your enthusiasm for Disney, thank you

2001 ASMo, 2002 POR, 2003-2008 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 Poly, 2011 CSR, 2012 CSR,2013 CSR
Mom2Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
momabbate
Mouseketeer

I live to eat, and hope to eat at as many places as I can. Can't wait to hear your reviews. I am currently working on ADRs for 2014 trip.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

My family LOVES Trails End Buffet. Thank you for posting the photos! They are wonderful!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
LizzieinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Stitch View Post
Awesome reviews so far, thank you Sanaa looks amazing, we might have to try it on our trip in September.

Also wanted to say I read your blog and love your enthusiasm for Disney, thank you
Aw, thank you! I really love working for the Mouse, life isn't always magical, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else! If you get the chance on your next trip, please give Sanaa a try. You won't regret it! Thanks for stopping in, it is great to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabbate View Post
I live to eat, and hope to eat at as many places as I can. Can't wait to hear your reviews. I am currently working on ADRs for 2014 trip.
Me too Yay!!!!! Upcoming trips are so exciting. I usually only manage to plan my meals a week in advance, and even that is fun! I can only imagine the excitement that builds with having 180 days to look forward to food. Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
My family LOVES Trails End Buffet. Thank you for posting the photos! They are wonderful!
I LOVE Trails End too! Aw, thanks for the compliment. You are so sweet! I'm glad to find another person who loves Trails End. Thanks for joining the food party!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: