Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #256
Simba77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I edited myoriginal post. I was going to say to be SURE of being close to transportation book preferred. then I saw this:

darn. it won't let me clip on the "bowing" smilie!!! aargh! good work, simba.
Thanks!

Quote:
we had a standard room just to the right of the black dot. it was great! not far at all to either the bowling pin pool or the hippie dippy pool. not far to the food court or the bridge to AOA.
Yup, this is exactly my point. There's really no "perfect" way to guarantee you get a short walk to Classic Hall. Even booking a preferred room isn't always going to give you the absolute best location. In the end, I don't think that any non-preferred room is really that bad. The longest walk at POP is from the farthest building in the 50s section... I stayed there twice - last time was a gorgeous pool view (standard room). And both times I didn't find the walk to be unbearable. Down the stairs/elevator, past the bowling pin pool, and you're basically there.

So even the "worst" locations are only a couple hundred feet more than an average or good location. It's an insignificant amount compared to the amount of walking you'll do all day.

I booked the 50s again because I just like that area. If my walk ends up being 100 or 200 feet more, it's really not that bad. Walking 900ft vs. walking 800ft, or 1000ft vs. 900ft... Not really a difference maker. You could have a preferred room and still get stuck walking close to 1,000 ft.

My suggestion is just to book "close to transportation" in the online check-in (or ask to have it added to your room requests), even if you're requesting a specific decade. Then when you get there, the key is to scope out the quickest way to get to Classic Hall, taking advantage of any potential shortcuts (look at the map). I think we get caught up too much in saying which decade is the closest to the buses, but it's a far more complicated issue than that, due to the various shortcuts and different paths you have to take, depending on where you are.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #257
ChrisParker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post

I think they were 30 minutes.
Thanks!!

Follow us to the Fantasy Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099534
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #258
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Ok I need advice....I'm about a month away of online check in. I asked for the 80's section when I changed to POP. Ill put it again when I do online check in. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #259
Simba77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
Ok I need advice....I'm about a month away of online check in. I asked for the 80's section when I changed to POP. Ill put it again when I do online check in. Any other suggestions?
It depends on what you like! The online check in only allows 2 requests. So 80s would be one. You can request "closest to transportation" which is what I did. Some people like to request 4th floor in order to ensure that there's nobody above them, which can be noisy if there's an active family above you.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #260
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba77

It depends on what you like! The online check in only allows 2 requests. So 80s would be one. You can request "closest to transportation" which is what I did. Some people like to request 4th floor in order to ensure that there's nobody above them, which can be noisy if there's an active family above you.
We really aren't picky. We won't be there much...sleep, shower & breakfast. 4th floor sounds good.....I read on here that if we cut through the parking lot, that'll cut down our distance to the buses.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #261
smidgy
dimples

we like the 50's. we hate parking lot view. rather than say 50's lake view, we just say "building 3" (we don't do online check in). sincethe other rooms in #3 are pool view anyway, we'll get lake view.
we like either floor 1 or 2. actually prefer 2, since it's
"kind of " like a balcony.. you can stand outside your room and lean on the fence. but 2nd floor is only on eflight of stairs. so if you're on an end, you can just use the stairs.

(for us floors 3or 4 are ok the first couple days. but after that our old legs and knees and kinda tired to do all those stairs.)

which brings me to paying for preferred. I might be assigned 4th floor building 1 (50's). I might be right by the bowling pin stairs. but 4 flights of stairs are a bit much for us, so I'll still be walking back (ie, away from the food court) to the elevators.

now someone else paying only for a standard room might be on floor 4, building 1, but only one or two rooms away from the elevator but in the opposite direction.

so they actually paid less for their room than I, and yet have a shorter walk to the food court, transportation (if you use the elevator).

so we take our chance with standard. BUT ,we don't have anyone with and ecv in our party.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #262
PrincesCJM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParker View Post
Who has recently done laundry at POP? I'm thinking I might be able to get away with just carryon luggage for a week with DH if I do a bit of laundry once. How long are the cycles? Are they very busy?
I did laundry when I was there 1.5 weeks ago. It was $2.00 per load in each washing machine and dryer. Signs in the laundry room say that each cycle is 30 minutes long. I felt like the dyer was a little bit longer than that but I was also hanging out at the pool so I don't real know when I put the clothes in. I did laundry by the computer pool in 80s/90s and it was dead at 830 am.
Two trips as a child 5/04 - Offsite 8/07 - Offsite/ASSp. DH's first trip. 8/09 - POFQ for honeymoon. 4/11 - Pop Century for our 3rd trip together! 7/11 - Offsite for STS-135 Launch seen from KSCVC 7/13 - Pop Century. DS's first trip! 4/2015 - ASMo

Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #263
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParker View Post
Who has recently done laundry at POP? I'm thinking I might be able to get away with just carryon luggage for a week with DH if I do a bit of laundry once. How long are the cycles? Are they very busy?
Do they still take quarters or is it a different system now? I am not sure if I will have time to do a load mid-week this time around. Might just try to make it without, but it depends on how hot it is (how many changes of clothing we need per day)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #264
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka

Do they still take quarters or is it a different system now? I am not sure if I will have time to do a load mid-week this time around. Might just try to make it without, but it depends on how hot it is (how many changes of clothing we need per day)
As of June, the machines were still using quarters...
They had change machines in there too... have heard that sometimes they are empty (not experienced that) but you can always get change at the front desk as well!!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #265
DonoMoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash View Post
Yes. Buildings 3, 4, 5, and 6 all have rooms where the window faces Hourglass Lake, and all these buildings are considered close to Classic Hall.

Building 3 is a 50's building, 4 and 5 are the two 60's buildings, and 6 is a 70's building.
Thanks!

9/13(POP) 3/13(AKL) 3/09(Pop) 3/07 (ASM)
9/06(Pop) 04(OP)

ME DH DS11 DS2 DD8
Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #266
Simba77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
We really aren't picky. We won't be there much...sleep, shower & breakfast. 4th floor sounds good.....I read on here that if we cut through the parking lot, that'll cut down our distance to the buses.
Yes, depending on where you are in the 80s section, it may be quicker to cut across the parking lot to the buses.

Be sure to check out the map to plan your route once you have your room assignment. It can be incredibly hard to determine the shortest path when you're actually at POP walking around. The overhead view provides a much better perspective when looking for the most efficient way to go. I don't really mind the walking, but minimizing the amount of time and energy expenditure on a trip you take every day (sometimes multiple times a day) can help.

One more thing to keep in mind: There's at least one tiny connecting path* that's not drawn on the official POP map, so just because you see grass on the map doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a little connecting path there.

*(the path that I'm speaking of is one that connects the 50s building 1 with a walkway to Classic Hall. That little path can actually be the quickest path to the buses from certain points in the 50s section. There may be other such little shortcuts that aren't on the map, so explore a little to potentially save yourself some time and energy on your trips to the buses and Classic Hall).
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #267
fd1972uk
Mouseketeer

We stayed at AoA and took a 'Pop' over, I really love the theming.

Next time we go I would like to book here, and it's extra boosted by having the lovely AoA resort too next to it bringing in another food court which is a bonus.

One question, do they play music within each of the different areas? i.e. 50's area has music from that era, etc etc?

FD
WDW Orlando: June 2013

Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #268
zuzu310
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLY View Post
Yes they do.
Thanks!
May 2004-Off-site Honeymoon, June 2005-Day Trip to MK, Sep 15-19 2005-CBR, Mother-Daughter Trip, Sep 9-15, 2006-CSR Just Hubby and Me!, Sep 8-15, 2007-CSR Dad's First Trip Ever at 51!, Aug 30-Sep 6 2008-CSR Free Dining Again!, Sep 5-12 2009-CSR Free Dining Trip w/SIL, BIL, and DH!, Sep 13-17 2010-First Time@ Pop Century/Pregnant w/our little Mousketeer, Sep 11-16 2011-Free Dining@ POP , Sep 9-16 2012-Baby Aiden's First Trip!!!, Sep 8-15 2013 Free Dining@POP/Pregnant w/our 2nd Mouseketeer! May 11-15 2014-10 Year Anniversary Trip NO KIDS! Aug 31-Sep 7 2014 Aiden's special "I'm a Big Brother" Trip@POP!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #269
IlovePumbaa
Mouseketeer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I edited myoriginal post. I was going to say to be SURE of being close to transportation book preferred. then I saw this:

darn. it won't let me clip on the "bowing" smilie!!! aargh! good work, simba.

we had a standard room just to the right of the black dot. it was great! not far at all to either the bowling pin pool or the hippie dippy pool. not far to the food court or the bridge to AOA.

Thank you so much. Standard it is. I am getting soooooo excited. 134 days. YAY

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #270
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba77 View Post
One more thing to keep in mind: There's at least one tiny connecting path* that's not drawn on the official POP map, so just because you see grass on the map doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a little connecting path there.

*(the path that I'm speaking of is one that connects the 50s building 1 with a walkway to Classic Hall. That little path can actually be the quickest path to the buses from certain points in the 50s section. There may be other such little shortcuts that aren't on the map, so explore a little to potentially save yourself some time and energy on your trips to the buses and Classic Hall).
When Pop opened that path wasn't there but so many guests wore a path because it was the quickest way to get from parts of building 1 to Classic Hall. I walked that dirt path myself a few times. After awhile I guess they decided to make it a real path. That's probably why it isn't on any maps.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: