Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,477

New Kiosk @ DAK For Food Allergy Info

What a great idea by Disney!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...al-kingdom.htm
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 11,287

Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Deanie1
Mouseketeer
 
Deanie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BRitish Columbia
Posts: 393

I went to WDW ith my sister who has life threatening, multiple allergies in Dec 2012. The chefs at TS and CS were very good but I was unable to find info on a lot of the snacks at the parks. She was happy to hear that some of the bakery items at POR were nut free. And, no, we were willing to do the research and we weren't just lazy about it,
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
GSUJillybean
Mouseketeer
 
GSUJillybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.

I think it's great. I don't have food allergies, and I don't understand the mockery here.
__________________
2/20/14- Surprise Valentine's Vacation- WL CL.
11/2013- CBR- And then there were four! Millie's first trip!
1/2013-CSR
1/2012-CSR- First trip as a family of three!
12/2010-CR Atrium CL
12/2009-ASM
12/2008-ASSp
12/2007-CR Atrium CL-First trip as a widow/single mom with baby Henry.
7/2005-PFQ- Honeymoon!
3/2004 PFQ- Engagement trip!
GSUJillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Sehart497
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

As a person with serious food allergies I do not appreciate the sarcasm. Eating away from home is very scary and It is difficult to find safe food options. For a person like me this means that food allergies are taken as seriously as they need to be. This is very exciting for me! It's still difficult to find information about all food allergies before going.
Sehart497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehart497 View Post
As a person with serious food allergies I do not appreciate the sarcasm. Eating away from home is very scary and It is difficult to find safe food options. For a person like me this means that food allergies are taken as seriously as they need to be. This is very exciting for me! It's still difficult to find information about all food allergies before going.
Actually, we all understand how serious it is. But maybe you don't understand how readily available the info is. There's a phone number and plenty of Websites that have info on dining at Disney (at TS, QS and kiosks) with allergies.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Traveliz
DIS Veteran
 
Traveliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.
Kind of rude. My husband has had celiac's since the 80s and we are Disney people. We go often...sometimes month after month AND even then things change. In June a place he has eaten problem free for years changed up their ingredients and he couldn't eat the items he had eaten there the month before. To be able to stop in one spot and get today's information is great. Wastes a lot of time for a lot of people when you have ask a lot of questions and then go to a different place because this place has nothing for you.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran
 
mrsdrake625's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.
Yes, they do. You can do advance research but things change very quickly, and important things, leading to frustration both for guests and cast members.

Even if you do research beforehand, you're still going to ask for the ingredient book at Casey's, because in the meantime they could have changed suppliers. That's just how it is. So I ask you, do you want to be in line behind me as I take the few extra minutes to read the ingredients and figure out what I can/can't eat? or would you rather rush by me waiting in line at the special diets kiosk, mock my gimpy intestines, and get your hot dog a little faster?

This option pleases us both. The kiosk would have the most up to date information - computerized, hopefully, based on what chefs have ordered that week.

Eager to see how this works.
__________________
mrsdrake625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
sandbmisnfla
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MA.
Posts: 84

I think thats great there will be a kiosk with that helpful information especially with the large increase in food allergies now. My wife has a soy allergy which makes it difficult not knowing what a lot of places use to prepare their foods.
Minnie mum is not only disrespectful but obviously out of touch with those comments.
sandbmisnfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,833

It's being put in place because of how Disney handles allergies. They are required to have leaders sign off on them and prepare them. So the allergic person's order takes quite a while just to place as the leader has to go over all the ingredients and nutritional lists and then take the order and then make the order and that's after they have to wait for a leader to be available. This kiosk is setup so that the allergic person can do all of that in the morning and then go about their day. It took a lot of effort and behind the scenes work to make this happen for guests so people aren't waiting forever just to place food orders and get meals.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
joxer1014
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 397

I am not a lazy person, I know what I can and can not eat. Researching ahead of time helps but ingredients for sauces are not readily available. That is something the chef and I have to go over. I can not have lemon whatsoever and believe it or not 9 out of 10 times there is lemon in sauces. And I prefer to eat vegetarian while in Disney but once again even with the best research some things are not listed.
joxer1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
ZoZo
DIS Veteran
 
ZoZo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Great. And coming soon to a kiosk nearby: Gluten intolerance info kiosk. Vegan/vegetarian info kiosk. Picky eaters info kiosk. My 10 year old doesn't like the adult menu kiosk. And my all time favourite: the I'm too lazy to do any advance research when we have people with problems kiosk.

Sorry. But the idea of that just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'm sure they have a very good reason for doing it.
Wow. Just wow.
__________________
(Teddy, Callie, and Zoe - my "furry kids")
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
It's being put in place because of how Disney handles allergies. They are required to have leaders sign off on them and prepare them. So the allergic person's order takes quite a while just to place as the leader has to go over all the ingredients and nutritional lists and then take the order and then make the order and that's after they have to wait for a leader to be available. This kiosk is setup so that the allergic person can do all of that in the morning and then go about their day. It took a lot of effort and behind the scenes work to make this happen for guests so people aren't waiting forever just to place food orders and get meals.
Great info!

Disney is always so innovative!
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
andyman8
DIS Veteran

 
andyman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,941

I think it's a good idea and I also think that unless you've got a food allergy, like myself, you shouldn't judge this kiosk.
__________________
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)


Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
Sehart497
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11

I agree that it can be difficult to plan ahead. When you get in touch with disney ahead of time they always have a disclaimer that says ingredients can change at any time. With this being said I want to check again in the park.
Sehart497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.