Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

New Animal Kingdom night show coming in 2014??

Just read this on the Disney Hipster Blog...

http://www.disneyhipsters.com/2013/0...ht-coming.html

They claim it to be a definite coming attraction and I was just wondering if anyone else has more info or has heard anything about this? Sounds pretty amazing!

wdw - akl may 2006 // wdw - off site june 2007 //disneyland july 2012 // wdw - akl june 2013 // disneyland paris august 2013 // wdw - wilderness lodge september 2014

**OFFICIAL JUNE 2013 WDW MAGICBAND TESTER**
whatsarahsaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
arthropodtodd
Mouseketeer

Never heard of it before, sounds pretty cool though. I would imagine with Avatarland coming something like this would happen. With a new land all they need to is shut down the animal based attractions and trails for the night at dusk and allow for the other rides and shows to remain open.

WL 2004 - Wedding and Honeymoon there
WL - 2006
WL - 2009
CR - 2011
WL - 2012
WL Club Level - 2013
WL - 2014 -Summer

Coming next:
POP & AKL 2014 - Winter

In the pipe:
2015 - fall
2016 - fall
arthropodtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
DummbGiRL
Mouseketeer

No matter how much I WANT this to be true, it may mess with my Oct 14 plans! I'm trying my best to figure out how to fit in the 4 major parks, ADRs, F&W and a night of drinking around the world... all in 4 park days/5 nights. IF this is true, I'm going to have to convince DH that we need a 5th park day (one of which we'd be staying offsite as we are doing US/IoA the week before... this would be easy though because I'd like to get MK out of the way early... we are a 30 year old couple with no kids... I just want the pictures and to ride the Mountains!). I mean I WANT a 5th park day, I just promised I'd try to figure out a way to do everything in 4.

* Dec 2007 - CBR * Nov 2010 - OKW * Sept 2011 - CSR, SOLO Trip * May 2013 - DL, offsite * Oct 2013 - YC, F&W weekend * Dec 2014 - BCV *

DummbGiRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I really hope this is true. There were rumors for last several months that maybe world of color was coming to AK. And there were rumors of AK getting its own night show. This is exactly what this park needs. A unique show you can't get anywhere else that will attract guests to stay longer at the park. AK has gotten a huge taking on being a half day park and I personally think its more than that but many others don't this may guarantee a change.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Oh So ONO
Earning My Ears

I don't see this happening. And even if there's the slightest chance, It would never be completed by 2014. Between this and Avatarland, people are speculating a DAK expansion along the lines of DCA. Because of the wildlife element, I don't see DAK ever being a nighttime park. There are other locations at WDW where a WoC type show would fit. One of them is the lagoon at Epcot. Or why not the river in Frontierland (like Fantasmic at DL)?

Another possibility I've heard speculated here is DTD. This could work with the new Disney Springs redo. Sure, it would be free. But so is the fountain show at Bellagio. I think an attraction like this at DTD would be awesome.
Oh So ONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh So ONO View Post
I don't see this happening. And even if there's the slightest chance, It would never be completed by 2014. Between this and Avatarland, people are speculating a DAK expansion along the lines of DCA. Because of the wildlife element, I don't see DAK ever being a nighttime park. There are other locations at WDW where a WoC type show would fit. One of them is the lagoon at Epcot. Or why not the river in Frontierland (like Fantasmic at DL)?

Another possibility I've heard speculated here is DTD. This could work with the new Disney Springs redo. Sure, it would be free. But so is the fountain show at Bellagio. I think an attraction like this at DTD would be awesome.
The wildlife element has nothing to do with it. All the animals are put in separate houses during the night time hours. Those houses replicate some like a zoo. This has been seen on several shows regarding WDW and AK. DAK has great potential to be a nighttime park. This show I can see happening one with lots of fireworks I don't see happening but a projection/water show would have no effect on the animals. Epcot and MK both have great shows that they wouldn't change at the moment. I would not want to see them get rid of illuminations especially. Disney springs would never get that because of the fact that admission is free. They want guests to lay to get into that park for that show thats how you run a successful business.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
flashcal
Earning My Ears

Quote:

It s happening They've already tested it. A night time safari is also coming. Night safaris are not new to the park. They did them in the first year or two. Wikipedia it if you insist on being right. My parents took a night safari back when it first opened.
There are lights and speakers being put up all over the safari over the last year. Clearly visible. A night Safari is coming along with the nighttime show and yes this park will be staying open late in the reasonably near future.
flashcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashcal View Post
It s happening They've already tested it. A night time safari is also coming. Night safaris are not new to the park. They did them in the first year or two. Wikipedia it if you insist on being right. My parents took a night safari back when it first opened.
There are lights and speakers being put up all over the safari over the last year. Clearly visible. A night Safari is coming along with the nighttime show and yes this park will be staying open late in the reasonably near future.
Do they rotate the diurnals with the nocturnals in this scenario? Do they shut the safari for a time during such a rotation?
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsarahsaid View Post

They claim it to be a definite coming attraction and I was just wondering if anyone else has more info or has heard anything about this? Sounds pretty amazing!
Sounds pretty cool. Anything to let me stay in the park after dark. I still remember 8PM EMH.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Oh So ONO
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashcal

Not insisting on being anything here. I just stated an opinion. No need to be rude. This is why I don't play here often.
But since your parents rode a night safari waaay back in, what, the 1990's? I guess you are the one who is right. Pardon me.
Oh So ONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
flashcal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Do they rotate the diurnals with the nocturnals in this scenario? Do they shut the safari for a time during such a rotation?
Here is the info from Wikipedia under Kilamanjaros Safari:

Kilimanjaro Safaris typically operates until sundown. However, during the holiday season of 1998, the safaris were continued at night and dubbed Kilimanjaro Night Safaris. Though many animals were asleep, or unable to be seen at night, the attraction had a completely different script and storyline. This "new" attraction featured additional animal sounds, reflectors hidden in the foliage to resemble animals' eyes, and an actual African dance troup, who performed around a bonfire in the area normally occupied by the attraction's elephants. Kilimanjaro Night Safaris only ran during that initial holiday season. After this time, it was deemed that the additional costs, plus the fact that animal visibility was poor (eliciting many guest complaints), made Night Safaris unfeasible to continue regularly.

I have no idea how they will do it in the future.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
flashcal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Not insisting on being anything here. I just stated an opinion. No need to be rude. This is why I don't play here often.
But since your parents rode a night safari waaay back in, what, the 1990's? I guess you are the one who is right. Pardon me.
You can refer to the post immediately following yours for the official Wikipedia entry about the history of nighttime Safaris.

Also, I'm just saying that if you don't come around often but when you do, you make a post about how you don't believe someone who's actually posted a published article about how something is already in the testing phase, don't be surprised if people take offense. I'm guessing the OP thought the article was exciting and wanted people's thoughts about this show. Not some guy saying he didn't believe the article. That's just killing joy and THAT'S what happens all too often on this board. Now let all talk about how awesome this show is gonna be!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
flashcal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsarahsaid View Post

I wonder where viewing would be and if they will make special seating for it. I can't figure where it could go though. Maybe in Asia by the lake.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

I would love it. We ran through AK during the F&W 1/2 marathon and it was gorgeous. The string lights in Asia looked awesome. The show sounds cool, but I wonder about visibility of show as there is a lot of foliage around the Tree of Life.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
sandybeach14
Earning My Ears

DAK at night

I loved running through AK at night during the wine and dine 1/2 because I had never been there past dusk. It has that same magical feel as the other parks at night. I cannot wait!
sandybeach14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: