Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #436
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

WHEW.... glad to hear that you didn't have something serious going on that would have changed your plans for the cruise! If sailing with another cruise line is being a traitor, I would imagine there are a number of us here on the group. Ed and I took a Princess cruise immediately before the Disney one to Alaska last month. It was wonderful.... but it was a different experience. I can't honestly say that I enjoyed one more than the other, but there are times I would choose Disney over Princess, and vice versa.

We have friends who only sail Royal Caribbean. We tried to get them to come to Alaska with us on the Wonder, but no dice. They don't want to give up their perks for having sailed so many times with RC. If we hadn't taken the Princess cruise to Alaska on a whim.... we wanted to see more of the Alaska coast than the Disney cruise allowed.... I would probably be just as adamant as our friends about sailing with Disney, because it was all I knew, and I would be looking to racking up cruises to get to the next level of the Castaway Club. But now that I've tested the Princess waters, I wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again, and we will be in March when we go to the Caribbean . Princess is more of an adult experience. There are children, but not a great number of them, and the cruise doesn't put primary focus on their entertainment. Food and service are fantastic, and the ship (Sapphire) was gorgeous.

That said, I can't imagine sailing with anyone but Disney if we are going on vacation with our kids and grandchildren. We're hoping to do that again in 2015, and it will definitely be on Disney! And as far as the Panama Canal cruise is concerned, we're eager to sail on the Wonder again.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in overly-wordy fashion, is that we don't have to be one-note Sambas. We can like more than one cruise line without saying one is better than the other. At least with the two I'm now familiar with, the each have their own attributes, and we may prefer one in a particular instance, and another when circumstances are different.

Have a fantastic time on your upcoming cruise! Three weeks..... how can you ever pack in time, lol. Where are you going?

As far as seats together on a plane... I don't know why you'd have to pay extra to sit together. Someone else might have a definitive answer. We fly Southwest when we can, and they have open seating. I don't know what the rationale would be to charge two people extra to sit together. But these days, who knows?

Karen
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #437
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker35 View Post
WHEW.... glad to hear that you didn't have something serious going on that would have changed your plans for the cruise! If sailing with another cruise line is being a traitor, I would imagine there are a number of us here on the group. Ed and I took a Princess cruise immediately before the Disney one to Alaska last month. It was wonderful.... but it was a different experience. I can't honestly say that I enjoyed one more than the other, but there are times I would choose Disney over Princess, and vice versa.

We have friends who only sail Royal Caribbean. We tried to get them to come to Alaska with us on the Wonder, but no dice. They don't want to give up their perks for having sailed so many times with RC. If we hadn't taken the Princess cruise to Alaska on a whim.... we wanted to see more of the Alaska coast than the Disney cruise allowed.... I would probably be just as adamant as our friends about sailing with Disney, because it was all I knew, and I would be looking to racking up cruises to get to the next level of the Castaway Club. But now that I've tested the Princess waters, I wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again, and we will be in March when we go to the Caribbean . Princess is more of an adult experience. There are children, but not a great number of them, and the cruise doesn't put primary focus on their entertainment. Food and service are fantastic, and the ship (Sapphire) was gorgeous.

That said, I can't imagine sailing with anyone but Disney if we are going on vacation with our kids and grandchildren. We're hoping to do that again in 2015, and it will definitely be on Disney! And as far as the Panama Canal cruise is concerned, we're eager to sail on the Wonder again.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in overly-wordy fashion, is that we don't have to be one-note Sambas. We can like more than one cruise line without saying one is better than the other. At least with the two I'm now familiar with, the each have their own attributes, and we may prefer one in a particular instance, and another when circumstances are different.

Have a fantastic time on your upcoming cruise! Three weeks..... how can you ever pack in time, lol. Where are you going?

As far as seats together on a plane... I don't know why you'd have to pay extra to sit together. Someone else might have a definitive answer. We fly Southwest when we can, and they have open seating. I don't know what the rationale would be to charge two people extra to sit together. But these days, who knows?

Karen
Thanks Karen. We have wanted to check out the Oasis every since she was built about 3 or 4 years ago. But just never had the opportunity to do so. We do love sailing with Disney, and will continue to do so. But we got the chance to sail on the Oasis and at such a great price, well, we couldn't pass it up.

Donna is the one who heard, or read somewhere that you had to pay extra to get two seats together. We didn't know, since we haven't flown in so many years. We'll definitely check out Southwest when booking opens up for our flight out to Sunny California next year for this cruise.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #438
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Thanks Karen. We have wanted to check out the Oasis every since she was built about 3 or 4 years ago. But just never had the opportunity to do so. We do love sailing with Disney, and will continue to do so. But we got the chance to sail on the Oasis and at such a great price, well, we couldn't pass it up.

Donna is the one who heard, or read somewhere that you had to pay extra to get two seats together. We didn't know, since we haven't flown in so many years. We'll definitely check out Southwest when booking opens up for our flight out to Sunny California next year for this cruise.
Sounds great. You can't fight a great price! It's one big reason we're sailing on Princess in March. Nine nights on the Ruby for substantially less than seven nights on the Fantasy. We figured it was a no-brainer.

One reason we like Southwest is that their prices are good, and because they also allow two checked bags without a surcharge. You can't book them through places like Expedia or Priceline.... you have to go direct. We like them, but they're not for everybody.... no frills. But the price is right
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #439
DionysiusP
Earning My Ears

Sitting together fee!

Some airlines "reserve" certain seats (window/aisle) for frequent flyers and/or those not willing to sit in the middle (in exchange for $$$). That said, make your reservations early enough and select your seats if you have the opportunity. Delta provides the option but Southwest is open seating. My wife, Chrystinap, and I fly fairly often and are most always seated together. Exceptions are usually late reservations and/or when we get upgrades. The bigger the group, the more difficult it gets to sit together.

Hope that helps
DionysiusP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #440
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ok, ok, ok, ok, Sorry everyone. I was going to post yesterday, but had to go out for a while and that turned into an all day errand. (That's what I get for volunteering to lend a hand!!! DW keeps telling me to keep my big fat mouth shut!!! Why don't I listen to her!!!)

This was my stupid attempt at trying to be funny..................and I blew it. Sorry everyone. Nothing serious. What I was talking about is that DW and I are going on a cruise..........................but not a Disney Cruise!!! We are going on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas in about 3 weeks. I was going to say something like I felt like we were being traitors or something along those lines. How I felt like we let everyone down by not sailing Disney. Anyway, a stupid idea on my part. Hope ya'll can forgive me for posting a stupid thing like that.

I do have a question for all of my fellow cruisers who fly often. DW and I haven't flown in gosh, it must be something like 15 or 20 years. Do you have to pay extra to get two seats together on a plane? The last time we flew that was not a problem or even an option. When you made reservations for two the seats were together. But we have heard you have to pay extra to get two seats together, is this true? Thanks everyone, and again, so sorry for the stupid idea I had. (I'm full of bad ideas...............just ask DW.............she'll tell you it's true!!!)
Oh my goodness! If you're a traitor, I guess there are a lot of us! We leave for New Hampshire this Wed. and sail on RCCL Brilliance from Boston on Sunday. We are Diamond on RCCL and LOVED Oasis! Make sure you pre-reserved your seats for the shows on-line.
No, there is no cost to sit together, at least not on any airlines that we have flown. You need to get on-line and select your seats asap assuming from your post that you haven't already. We usually select our seats at the time of booking. You might not have seats together at this late date, but looks as if you need to check- now!
Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #441
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Anyone else concerned about Hurricane season during our trip? Seeing the weather for both the east and west coasts of Mexico today, my travel radar is going off. We've cruised during hurricane season before, but most ships can get around storms; going through the canal is a rather limiting option and if its storming on us, there isn't really anywhere else for the ship to go!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #442
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbl View Post
Anyone else concerned about Hurricane season during our trip? Seeing the weather for both the east and west coasts of Mexico today, my travel radar is going off. We've cruised during hurricane season before, but most ships can get around storms; going through the canal is a rather limiting option and if its storming on us, there isn't really anywhere else for the ship to go!
I cruise mostly during hurricane season. Fares are cheaper and weather is usually good. Besides I have an ironclad stomach so I don't get seasick. I've been watching the hurricanes for a while and haven't seen a lot if activity near panama so I think odds are with us.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #443
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, ok, ok, ok, Sorry everyone. I was going to post yesterday, but had to go out for a while and that turned into an all day errand. (That's what I get for volunteering to lend a hand!!! DW keeps telling me to keep my big fat mouth shut!!! Why don't I listen to her!!!)

This was my stupid attempt at trying to be funny..................and I blew it. Sorry everyone. Nothing serious. What I was talking about is that DW and I are going on a cruise..........................but not a Disney Cruise!!! We are going on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas in about 3 weeks. I was going to say something like I felt like we were being traitors or something along those lines. How I felt like we let everyone down by not sailing Disney. Anyway, a stupid idea on my part. Hope ya'll can forgive me for posting a stupid thing like that.

I do have a question for all of my fellow cruisers who fly often. DW and I haven't flown in gosh, it must be something like 15 or 20 years. Do you have to pay extra to get two seats together on a plane? The last time we flew that was not a problem or even an option. When you made reservations for two the seats were together. But we have heard you have to pay extra to get two seats together, is this true? Thanks everyone, and again, so sorry for the stupid idea I had. (I'm full of bad ideas...............just ask DW.............she'll tell you it's true!!!)
Whew!!! glad you are still coming with us!!!

Now, we fly United mostly because Dave's business travel was mostly on United and he got perks. When we book, we get to choose our seats and if the seats are open, we can book them together. There is an upcharge if you get in the Economy Plus seats, which we usually do because Dave has long legs. There is also an upcharge on aisle and window seats. I always get stuck in teh middle because the aforementioned legs are always in the aisle seat. I believe Delta has the same arrangement. So it's not about seats together so much but you would have to book either an aisle or window in addition to a middle seat.

See how much we would miss you?

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #444
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

I saw this question over on the FB page and thought I would post what our experience was on our previous EBPC.

Here is the schedule we had on our previous EBPC in 2008
1--Cruise casual
2--Formal
3-7--Cruise casual
8---semi formal
9-13-Cruise casual
14---formal
15--Cruise casual
Since this is a 14 night vice a 15 night, I would hazard a guess the second formal night would be on the 13th night as that is an 'at sea' day as is the second night. Pirate night was the night before our second formal night. hope this helps people with their planning!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #445
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Quote:

Since I was the first to post after your attempt at a joke, I apologize for jumping on the worst case scenario band wagon. Happy to hear you are still sailing with us and to find out what a horrid comic you are.

[QUOTE=kayaker35;49577546

Karen[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker35 View Post

One reason we like Southwest is that their prices are good, and because they also allow two checked bags without a surcharge. You can't book them through places like Expedia or Priceline.... you have to go direct. We like them, but they're not for everybody.... no frills. But the price is right
Can I pack snacks in my purse? Do they serve drinks on long flights? We want to use Southwest due to the baggage allowances but I don't want to be uncomfortable for 6 or 7 hours. I haven't flown anywhere since 1995 and that was just from Ky to Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
I saw this question over on the FB page and thought I would post what our experience was on our previous EBPC.

Here is the schedule we had on our previous EBPC in 2008
1--Cruise casual
2--Formal
3-7--Cruise casual
8---semi formal
9-13-Cruise casual
14---formal
15--Cruise casual
Since this is a 14 night vice a 15 night, I would hazard a guess the second formal night would be on the 13th night as that is an 'at sea' day as is the second night. Pirate night was the night before our second formal night. hope this helps people with their planning!
So there are 2 formal nights, a semi-formal night, AND pirate night? I want to make sure that I bring all the clothing I need. I don't think I will need to buy anything but in case I do, I've found a website that has amazing priced cocktail and formal dresses. Might be an excuse to get a new "lil black dress"

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #446
grmmybtty
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone,
I wanted to let you all know that unfortunately DH and I will be cancelling this cruise. Some good friends have talked us into going on a Russian River cruise with them and sadly the dates conflict. I am planning on rescheduling for the WBPC if that is available for 2015. Have a great cruise. You guys are a great group and we know we are missing out on all the fun you will be having.
Happy Sailing.

Magic: Mexican Riviera August 2005 and 2008
Wonder: 4 night Bahamian 12/24/03
Magic: Westbound Transatlantic 9/18/10
Wonder: Mexican Riviera 3/27/11
Magic: 6 night Western Caribbean 3/24/12

grmmybtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #447
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmmybtty View Post
Hello everyone,
I wanted to let you all know that unfortunately DH and I will be cancelling this cruise. Some good friends have talked us into going on a Russian River cruise with them and sadly the dates conflict. I am planning on rescheduling for the WBPC if that is available for 2015. Have a great cruise. You guys are a great group and we know we are missing out on all the fun you will be having.
Happy Sailing.
Sorry that you will not be joining us. I am sure you will have a good time with your friends on your River Cruise.

OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #448
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thank goodness everything is ok and that you will be still be on our cruise. I am sure that you are going to enjoy RC.

OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #449
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello everyone,
Happy Sailing.
Sorry you won't be sailing with us, but how exciting to sail the Russian rivers! Enjoy!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #450
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello everyone,
Happy Sailing.
My parents love river cruises. So have fun! Do good things!

---

Okay glad it was nothing serious David! Had me worried thinking it was your son or something....

I'm looking at holiday scrubs (because I'm required to wear teal/Caribbean blue throughout the year. Only fun scrubs on the holidays) because my current ones don't fit. All the ones I'm finding and liking are Disney ones. Which I'm okay with, but I'm known as the Disney dork at work. I found a really rad Snow White, but more the Evil Queen/old lady with the apple theme that's really dark... thinking of that for Halloween or a Thor shirt. :D

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: