Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #406
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Yeah I heard it was only 10 days, which isn't that long (I don't know how long it would be to re-do all the carpets on the whole boat). But as of this minute (because Magic is being dry docked and changed) the Wonder is going to be the biggest boat that can go through the canal. That's pretty bad watch your mouth!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #407
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstfan1 View Post
did u guys see that the wonder will go in dry dock in january
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
I did...some cruises got cancelled...Hmmm, could the Wonder be getting the same makeover? Won't it be nice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
I knew that the Wonder was due for dry dock but I didn't realize it'd be so soon. If I had to guess, the Wonder may get some if the Makeover but not all. Part of the Magic's dry dock included structural changes to the stern. Enough so that it won't fit thru the canal anymore. They won't do that to the Wonder. So my prediction is that they do the cosmetic changes but no structural ones because that'll be best done when they retro-fit the stern. After the new locks open.
Ok, ok, ok, ok guys........................I didn't hear about this!! Are you talking January 2014 the Wonder is going into dry dock? Where have I been my whole life!!! Why didn't I hear or read about this somewhere?!?? I do remember reading somewhere a while back that they would not be doing the same makeover as the Magic is getting when ever it does go into dry dock, because it would not be able to go thru the Panama Canal, like Steve said. But, I hadn't heard a word that she was going into dry dock in January 2014. I'm going to have to keep up with everyone else. Going to have to spend those late nights on the web.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #408
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

January 2015, not 2014. At least that's what we were told by the server at Palo last month.

Our first Disney Cruise - November 2012 - The Bahamas on the Disney Dream
Our second Disney Cruise -- August 2013 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #409
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Interesting to know! I did not realize the changes to the Magic would prevent it from fitting though the canal! So unless they plan on canceling the Wonder's entire summer sailing schedule, I guess that's out!

Steve, what is teh difference on the pool deck? I heard it's covered? Is that true?
The pool deck on the Magic will be drastically altered. The entire Mickey pool area is going away and will be replaced by the aqua lab water playground. The Mickey slide is getting a lot larger. On the forward funnel will be the aqua dunk water slide. No plans for enclosure that I've heard of. This will have to be an extensive drydock for these changes as they will be structural.

If cruises are being cancelled then it would be Jan 2014 since no cruises are slated for 2015 yet. I had not heard rumors of a dry dock until now however.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #410
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Oh my goodness!! Get behind a few days on checking the dis and you have to read 12 pages of posts to catch up .

Our cruise is paid in full and we will be looking to book our pre-cruise hotel in San Diego this weekend, after I get Mom home from the hospital (she had her facelift this morning). We won't be booking our flight until Feb. or March, probably on Southwest, and at least we only need 1 way

Welcome aboard to all the new additions!! Happy you have joined us. We should have a fantastic group!!

Have most of the items that I need to start working on our FEs but will likely wait until colder weather. I also need to get the stuff to make our FE. I have the idea in my head and hope I can create it in reality.

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #411
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyCruisinSusan View Post
Oh my goodness!! Get behind a few days on checking the dis and you have to read 12 pages of posts to catch up .

Our cruise is paid in full and we will be looking to book our pre-cruise hotel in San Diego this weekend, after I get Mom home from the hospital (she had her facelift this morning). We won't be booking our flight until Feb. or March, probably on Southwest, and at least we only need 1 way

Have most of the items that I need to start working on our FEs but will likely wait until colder weather. I also need to get the stuff to make our FE. I have the idea in my head and hope I can create it in reality.
1.) Yeah... talkative bunch.
2.) You's a pimp!
3.) Go to pinterest. I found a cheap fabric site. I think once I move into my new place (yep, moving out of the parents house next year), my friends are going to have a craft and pizza day to do our FEs during the milder weather.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #412
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Looked into airfare yesterday. It was an eye opener!

Since the exact dates are not available yet, I had to use similar dates. I looked into SFO to SAN then MCO to SFO. And it would cost around $740 for the two of us with a slight savings if I buy the tickets separately rather than "multi-destination"

Renting a rental car and driving to San Diego and flying home would save me about $100.

Interestingly, it was MUCH cheaper to fly into SAN than SFO. It got me to thinking that if I drive my own car to San Diego and parked it at a park, sleep, fly then flew back to San Diego after the cruise and drive home, I'd save a TON of money. Essentially, the cost for the two if us goes down to about $350. Making a savings of about $400. The trade off being the 8 hour drive down and back home. Since my car gets about 40 mph freeway my gas will be less than $120
Old 09-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #413
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker35 View Post
Our server at Palo told us that the Wonder as due for refurb in 2015. I didn't know it would be so early in the year, though. It does explain some of the little cosmetic things that we found that will probably not be addressed until the refurb.

One thing I'd like to see is new carpeting. After being on the Dream, the Wonder looked a bit drab. New carpeting would jazz the old girl up a lot. I hope they don't make any changes to the Cadillac Lounge, though. What a wonderful spot, day or night. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting in there with an adult beverage, listening to the piano player in the evening. The decor is delightful. We didn't go to the other lounges, so I can't comment on them. Once we found Cadillac, we stuck with it
Us too, and Sessions on the Magic. Love those lounges! Didn't find any of the lounges on the Dream or Fantasy had the same feel, though I guess Skyline came closest.

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #414
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Ok, ok, ok, ok guys........................I didn't hear about this!! Are you talking January 2014 the Wonder is going into dry dock? Where have I been my whole life!!! Why didn't I hear or read about this somewhere?!?? I do remember reading somewhere a while back that they would not be doing the same makeover as the Magic is getting when ever it does go into dry dock, because it would not be able to go thru the Panama Canal, like Steve said. But, I hadn't heard a word that she was going into dry dock in January 2014. I'm going to have to keep up with everyone else. Going to have to spend those late nights on the web.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker35 View Post
January 2015, not 2014. At least that's what we were told by the server at Palo last month.
Someone posted that they were notified that their cruise in January on the Wonder had been cancelled so the ship could go into dry dock and they were
now having to find another cruise to book.

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #415
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Here is the story, apparently as to the Wonder's dry dock.
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...-january-2014/

Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #416
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The pool deck on the Magic will be drastically altered. The entire Mickey pool area is going away and will be replaced by the aqua lab water playground. The Mickey slide is getting a lot larger. On the forward funnel will be the aqua dunk water slide. No plans for enclosure that I've heard of. This will have to be an extensive drydock for these changes as they will be structural.

If cruises are being cancelled then it would be Jan 2014 since no cruises are slated for 2015 yet. I had not heard rumors of a dry dock until now however.
No, I was asking about the Wonder...I had heard they made changes to the pool decks for the Alaskan itinerary and was wondering if it were true or not.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #417
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, I was asking about the Wonder...I had heard they made changes to the pool decks for the Alaskan itinerary and was wondering if it were true or not.
No change has been made to the pool deck for Alaska. They have installed an enclosed viewing area on deck 10 near the adult area but that's about all. Any changes to the pool decks will need to wait until a more extended dry dock. At which time I suspect that the changes will mirror those on the Magic. I suppose that if Disney wanted to make a long term commitment to Alaska they would re-imagine the Wonder differently and make allowances for the colder weather.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #418
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here is the story, apparently as to the Wonder's dry dock.
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...-january-2014/
I feel bad for those displaced on those cruises but I can't help thinking "Man I wish I had a dummy cruise booked on one of those! I'd love a 25% discount. I'd probably cruise concierge!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #419
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Found a hotel with a sleep and cruise package, queen size bed for $110/night but can't book it yet. They are only accepting ressies thru 9/5/14 so I guess I will have to be patient for another week or 2 .

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #420
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No change has been made to the pool deck for Alaska. They have installed an enclosed viewing area on deck 10 near the adult area but that's about all. Any changes to the pool decks will need to wait until a more extended dry dock. At which time I suspect that the changes will mirror those on the Magic. I suppose that if Disney wanted to make a long term commitment to Alaska they would re-imagine the Wonder differently and make allowances for the colder weather.
Ahh, then I see where the confusion came from. The person telling me said the enclosed area was on the pool deck. Wrong deck. Whew!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: