Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #391
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post
Welcoming new people!

Dumb question because y'all are paying for hotels and such: have you guys paid in full yet? If you have then dang! You are awesome!
No, I haven't even started paying on this one yet. I just finished paying off our upcoming Hawaii trip and I am now paying for my upcoming WDW vacation. Once that's paid off, I'll start paying down this cruise. Probably won't start until Jan. 2014.

I do, However, start to make my reservations as soon as I find rates/fares that I find palatable. That locks them in. Airfare is usually the one thing that I'm just stuck with. I loathe the idea of waiting until the last minute and possibly paying a very high fare. So, as soon as fares are published, I start watching them and look for what I feel is a fair price then buy. I rarely go wrong this way. If the fares go down, the amount I'd have saved is usually minimal.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #392
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Okay. Glad I'm not the only one still paying it off. I'm doing it little by little.
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #393
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay. Glad I'm not the only one still paying it off. I'm doing it little by little.
OH no! not in the least! I pay my one account until it's all there. I don't even give it to Disney until about a week before my booking date becomes ripe. It sits in the acct and gains interest. Plus I keep paying into it so there is money for all the other stuff. I found that is the best way for me to work it.
Right now, I have about $1200 in the account.

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #394
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
Wooo hoooo! We did a couple of days at DL before our first Panama cruise. We sailed out of LA for that cruise and Disney arranged transport between DL and the terminal!
We are looking at booking at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, flying out of here the evening of the 10th, and spending the 11th in San Diego.
We had to wait for two pieces of our puzzle to fall into place before we could book the Disneyland Hotel. First, Disney didn't open up bookings that far out until just a day or two ago. And, second, Donna had to wait until the first of September this year to put in for vacation for September next year. Anyways, she has 5 weeks vacation time, but the company she works for frowns on taking more then 2 weeks at a time. But, a couple of people she works with have taken as much as a month off in a row. So she put in for 3 weeks off a week ago and it was approved!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #395
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkjoy View Post
I am julylady's mom and I thank you for the warm welcome too. I did read on some previous posts that some of you were talking about retirement age and how they couldn't wait. I actually retired at age 72 and have never been sorry. I was wondering tho if anyone else going on this cruise will be from Michigan.
Not from Michigan, but I am semi-retired..................and LOVING IT!!!! I only work 3 days a week, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday...............6 hours a day those 3 days. DW is still working full time though. It won't be much longer until she retires.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #396
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nope, not paid for in full yet either. About half way though. Got to pay all of the Disneyland Hotel bill yet though, except for the deposit. But that is a separate account that I have been slowly putting money aside for, planning on us being able to go for 3 weeks. Glad I thought DW's work would let her take 3 weeks off.

We Are

Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #397
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
We had to wait for two pieces of our puzzle to fall into place before we could book the Disneyland Hotel. First, Disney didn't open up bookings that far out until just a day or two ago. And, second, Donna had to wait until the first of September this year to put in for vacation for September next year. Anyways, she has 5 weeks vacation time, but the company she works for frowns on taking more then 2 weeks at a time. But, a couple of people she works with have taken as much as a month off in a row. So she put in for 3 weeks off a week ago and it was approved!!!
That's kinda' our situation right now. We've heard rumors from our boss saying they won't let more than 2 of us on the same shift leave for 2+ weeks. But right now we have 1 CNA out for three weeks for vacation, another CNA hurt herself and has been out for almost 6 months, and lastly a gal CNA just got told she needed to go on bed rest until her baby is born- puts 3 aides out for at least 2 weeks (and they all work the same weekend). So we're going to talk to my boss the first week in December and say "here's what's going on: by next July all of us will have enough PTO for this vacation and you need to let us out because during x,y, and z times you've let people out. We don't work in the same departments, work opposite weekends, and here's our union rep." I don't want to be nasty, but....
Old 09-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #398
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post

I'm still waiting for my time off for 20 days from now to be approved!!!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Old 09-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #399
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm still waiting for my time off for 20 days from now to be approved!!!
I would've said something kinda' nasty to my boss, not nasty, just pointed... mind you I love my boss (she has the aide's back because she was a floor nurse), but something like "Am I still going on vacation?"
Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #400
kerstfan1
DIS Veteran

did u guys see that the wonder will go in dry dock in january
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #401
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstfan1 View Post
I did...some cruises got cancelled...Hmmm, could the Wonder be getting the same makeover? Won't it be nice?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #402
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstfan1 View Post
Quote:
I did...some cruises got cancelled...Hmmm, could the Wonder be getting the same makeover? Won't it be nice?
I knew that the Wonder was due for dry dock but I didn't realize it'd be so soon. If I had to guess, the Wonder may get some if the Makeover but not all. Part of the Magic's dry dock included structural changes to the stern. Enough so that it won't fit thru the canal anymore. They won't do that to the Wonder. So my prediction is that they do the cosmetic changes but no structural ones because that'll be best done when they retro-fit the stern. After the new locks open.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #403
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnydaddy View Post
I knew that the Wonder was due for dry dock but I didn't realize it'd be so soon. If I had to guess, the Wonder may get some if the Makeover but not all. Part of the Magic's dry dock included structural changes to the stern. Enough so that it won't fit thru the canal anymore. They won't do that to the Wonder. So my prediction is that they do the cosmetic changes but no structural ones because that'll be best done when they retro-fit the stern. After the new locks open.
Interesting to know! I did not realize the changes to the Magic would prevent it from fitting though the canal! So unless they plan on canceling the Wonder's entire summer sailing schedule, I guess that's out!

Steve, what is teh difference on the pool deck? I heard it's covered? Is that true?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #404
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

Wonder Refurb

Our server at Palo told us that the Wonder as due for refurb in 2015. I didn't know it would be so early in the year, though. It does explain some of the little cosmetic things that we found that will probably not be addressed until the refurb.

One thing I'd like to see is new carpeting. After being on the Dream, the Wonder looked a bit drab. New carpeting would jazz the old girl up a lot. I hope they don't make any changes to the Cadillac Lounge, though. What a wonderful spot, day or night. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting in there with an adult beverage, listening to the piano player in the evening. The decor is delightful. We didn't go to the other lounges, so I can't comment on them. Once we found Cadillac, we stuck with it

Our first Disney Cruise - November 2012 - The Bahamas on the Disney Dream
Our second Disney Cruise -- August 2013 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #405
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Yeah I heard it was only 10 days, which isn't that long (I don't know how long it would be to re-do all the carpets on the whole boat). But as of this minute (because Magic is being dry docked and changed) the Wonder is going to be the biggest boat that can go through the canal. That's pretty bad watch your mouth!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: