Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #301
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
you are gonna work until 70
They would have to commit me to an asylum! My plan is 62---> skidoo! Move to Florida, somewhere on the gulf coast , close enough to drive either to WDW or Port Canaveral!

If I would have had to work until I was 70....................there would have had to be a rubber room ready for me as well Stephanie!!!

We live about 25 miles Northwest of Tampa. It is a very nice area. We like it. Close to WDW..............about an hour and a half away.............depends on who's driving!!! And, about 2 and a half hours away from Port Canaveral. When we are leaving for a Disney cruise from Port Canaveral, we like to drive over to WDW for a day or two before the cruise. Then on the day of the cruise drive over to the port. This gets us just a little over half of the driving behind us, and, gets the vacation started just a couple of days earlier!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #302
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post

If I would have had to work until I was 70....................there would have had to be a rubber room ready for me as well Stephanie!!!

We live about 25 miles Northwest of Tampa. It is a very nice area. We like it. Close to WDW..............about an hour and a half away.............depends on who's driving!!! And, about 2 and a half hours away from Port Canaveral. When we are leaving for a Disney cruise from Port Canaveral, we like to drive over to WDW for a day or two before the cruise. Then on the day of the cruise drive over to the port. This gets us just a little over half of the driving behind us, and, gets the vacation started just a couple of days earlier!!!
It must be so nice to be near WDW and Port Canaveral. I can't see us leaving our little piece of Paradise here on the coast of Maine, but I never say never. Until that day we'll have to cope with taking a plane to FL when we want to go there.

We may spend a few days at WDW after the Panama cruise. Plenty of time to think about that. Last time we did WDW we were run ragged by our daughter and family, who were there with us. Next time we'll take it easier, and plan for a down day at the resort in between park days. Absolutely loved AK, so perhaps we'll stay there next time.
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #303
kerstfan1
DIS Veteran

Im from the netherlands
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #304
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
you are gonna work until 70
They would have to commit me to an asylum! My plan is 62---> skidoo! Move to Florida, somewhere on the gulf coast , close enough to drive either to WDW or Port Canaveral!
When went to figure out my 401k stuff last December, based on how old my grandparents are and how "people are aging" with medicare, 70 is what she planned. Now if I win the lotto or somehow write a book that sells a bajillion copies.... I'd be totally happy to retire early.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #305
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post

Now that's a plan! How far are you from McDill? Need to be about 25 miles from a military base to keep our medical benefits. Yeah, they keep taking more and more away.

I like your plan of driving 'halfway' to WDW a couple of days ahead, then the rest of the way! Nice to break up those long drives!!!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #306
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post

If I retire when I'm 70....crap I have 38 more years of this! Does that mean I'm going to be the RN with the walker helping the patient to the BR?
You don't need to work until you're 70, unless you want to. Go and meet with a financial planner/advisor now, so that you won't have to work until you're 70 and so your retirement income will, at least, be equal to or exceed your working income. Planning right in your 20's, 30's really pays off in the end. Im sure you know because working as an aide or RN in clinical nursing will take a toll on you physically. Plan now so you'll have both time and money.

Here is a link to a Mφtley Fool article on how simply investing $20./week can make you very wealthy when you're older.

http://www.fool.com/teens/teens01.htm
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #307
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstfan1 View Post
Im from the netherlands
So far, I think you'll be traveling the furthest to join us! Safe journey when you do come!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #308
kerstfan1
DIS Veteran

Well of is beter then my flight last week that was 20 hours
Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #309
Futurist
REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to believe!

Yoga

Quote:
Who is doing yoga on the boat? I'd be down to do that.
Hi kdeans1010!

My DW and I are talking about doing yoga on (most) sea days on the "secret" deck, aft 7, starting around 7:30 a.m. for about an hour. I haven't been on this thread for some time as it's been busy out, and we're still over a year away for the cruise.

When we get closer to time, I'll ask again who's interested, but noticed your (May) post, and thought I should reply, even if I'm somewhat late!

I am NOT a qualified yoga instructor, so people exercise at their own risk, but I've been doing yoga for over 30 years. I'll be 64 by the time the cruise rolls around, and believe yoga is great for all ages and stages. But if you're an experienced yogi or yogini, we'll let you lead! I consider myself an "advanced beginner"

Look forward to seeing you onboard!

All the best,
Richard
Disney Dream – Feb. 6-10, 2011
Disney Fantasy – Maiden Voyage, March 31-April 7, 2012; February 8th-15th, 2014
Disney Wonder, Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2013
EBPC, Disney Wonder, Sept. 12th-26th, 2014 (36th anniversary celebration)
Futurist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #310
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post

Hi kdeans1010!

My DW and I are talking about doing yoga on (most) sea days on the "secret" deck, aft 7, starting around 7:30 a.m. for about an hour. I haven't been on this thread for some time as it's been busy out, and we're still over a year away for the cruise.

When we get closer to time, I'll ask again who's interested, but noticed your (May) post, and thought I should reply, even if I'm somewhat late!

I am NOT a qualified yoga instructor, so people exercise at their own risk, but I've been doing yoga for over 30 years. I'll be 64 by the time the cruise rolls around, and believe yoga is great for all ages and stages. But if you're an experienced yogi or yogini, we'll let you lead! I consider myself an "advanced beginner"

Look forward to seeing you onboard!

All the best,
Richard
Is it possible for a person with a bad left knee and a bad right hip to do yoga? I'm looking for something to help with flexibility. I'm afraid to go to a yoga class because of these issues.

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #311
Futurist

Yoga for everyone?

Quote:
Is it possible for a person with a bad left knee and a bad right hip to do yoga? I'm looking for something to help with flexibility. I'm afraid to go to a yoga class because of these issues.
I'm not qualified to provide an adequate answer, and should refer you to someone who is so qualified. However, my yoga instructor is older than I am, has bad knees, some lower back pain, and recently had shoulder surgery for an (unrelated) accident, and she still kicks my *** when it comes to the asanas (poses).

My observation is that yoga is intensely personal. You do what you can, and don't do what you can't. There are modified positions for virtually all the poses that are easier (or more difficult). The critical thing is to stretch to YOUR limit, and by doing that, you gradually (patiently) raise that limit. I would suggest that you try it, but find a good, recommended yoga instructor locally. I truly believe that if you acknowledge your limitations, and work around them, you will gradually get better. But it's not a "get good quick" scheme. You need to work into your abilities. There are no shortcuts.

If you'd like to discuss this further, PM me and we can chat.

Hope this helps!

Richard
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #312
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
Hi kdeans1010!

Secret deck? Fancy. I'll be there. I'm usually up early because.... weird NOC shifter.
Quote:
I have a bad left knee (torn cartilage.) and a bad ankle. I still can do it. I can't do downward dog to save my life (it hurts my wrists and I always toot when I'm in that position). Do what you can and then if you feel hurt you can stop and sit. Don't kill yourself. That's what I've learned. I do a mile walk/run with the lab and golden daily. The lab has bad hips, I have a bad knee. We make it work.... the golden is just hyperactive and runs laps around us.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #313
kerstfan1
DIS Veteran

sorry that i messed up with the fb group
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #314
Futurist

Quote:
Secret deck? Fancy. I'll be there. I'm usually up early because.... weird NOC shifter.
OK, I confess: I don't know what a "weird NOC shifter" is. A little help?

R
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #315
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstfan1 View Post
sorry that i messed up with the fb group
No problem.............you did good!!! Glad you joined the our Facebook site!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: