Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #241
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

I've only been on the Fantasy, so I'm kinda' nervous about this. But I just did a check about how eco-friendly the boat is. Disney Wonder is 3rd on list of best boats. Yay! I'm an echo friendly nerd.

Fall has hit the Pac-Northwest.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #242
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post
I've only been on the Fantasy, so I'm kinda' nervous about this. But I just did a check about how eco-friendly the boat is. Disney Wonder is 3rd on list of best boats. Yay! I'm an echo friendly nerd.

The Wonder and Magic are beautiful boats. THey are smaller and easier to get around. It was the style of the Magic/Wonder that actually piqued my interest in cruising.

I can't wait for fall....but we have some more summer to get through, I'm sure!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #243
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstfan1 View Post
well i think im now for 98% sure im booking this cruise im waiting for flight prices to be released then i will book this one
I'm positive you are going to have a GREAT time!!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #244
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
The Wonder and Magic are beautiful boats. THey are smaller and easier to get around. It was the style of the Magic/Wonder that actually piqued my interest in cruising.

I can't wait for fall....but we have some more summer to get through, I'm sure!
Same with us Stephanie. But also, because it was Disney. BIG, I mean BIG, I talking BIG HERE, Disney fans. Yeah that's what I'm talkn' about!!!

We too have some more summer here to go thru. It will probably be some time in November or December before we cool down!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #245
BigJon
will work for Dole Whip

Quote:
What did you think of Colombia?
Cartegena was a great stop.
When we got off the Disney Wonder, my plans were to take a taxi to the clock tower (Old Town). I asked the shopping expert on our ship, and she said I should only pay $15 for a taxi to the clock tower (total price, not per person). As you get to the end of the pier, you have to go inside a building (they sell shirts, coffee, jewelry, etc..) and exit out the other side. Once you walk outside, you walk straight, and slightly to the right to get to the cabs. As soon as we approached the cab area, a gentleman asked if we needed a cab, and where we wanted to go. I told him we were going to the clock tower, and he said it would be $20. I told him that we were told it would be $15, and he said $15 was okay. So we got in the cab (me, my wife and another couple), and the driver wanted to take us on a tour of Cartegena. He wanted $20 per person, but we agreed on $15 per person. We then drove to the La Popa Monastery. It sits on the highest point in Cartegena. Great view, and interesting building. It was $4 to enter, but the view alone was worth that. The sellers "attacked" as we exited the taxi, but they weren't allowed inside, on the grounds of the Monastery, which was nice. After that, we drove to the fort (Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas). We got out and took pictures, but we didn't enter (fee to enter). We then went to the new city part of Cartegena (Bocagrande), and went to a "museum". That was what our driver told us, it was jewelry store, with a "museum" on the upper floor, showing different gems that are mined in Columbia. At first, I was a little upset that we stopped, but they had a clean restroom, and free Wi-Fi, so it was okay. After that, we stopped at a market near the old part of town. We told our driver we wanted to eat, and he took us to a restaurant. It was okay, nothing special, and he obviously got a "kickback" from the restaurant for bringing us there, but like I said, it was okay. Me and my wife divided a huge plate of rice with vegetables and chicken, and it was about $10 for that. But it was enough for two. I was mainly thirsty, and we got a couple bottles of coke. After lunch, we parked near downtown (Old Town) and walked the streets with our taxi driver. He took us all around, and that is what I enjoyed the most. The buildings are really neat to look at, and there are vendors everywhere selling watches, cuban cigars, jewelry, fresh fruit, snacks....it was really something to see. Our taxi was parked near the historic wall, so we walked on that a little and took pictures. Our taxi tour lasted from 10am to 4pm, and after the tip, I only payed $40 (total) for me and my wife. People on our cruise ship payed $49 per person, and their tour did not last as long as ours. We got to see alot for a great price. While we were in the market in Old Town, a lady from our cruise ship said they paid $100 for 6 people to take a tour in a van. Now our taxi was not the most spacious, or comfortable. But it was a great deal, and I would recommend it to others..........jonathan
(map of Cartegena port, and where our ship was docked, and the yellow dots show the path to the taxis)
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #246
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Same with us Stephanie. But also, because it was Disney. BIG, I mean BIG, I talking BIG HERE, Disney fans. Yeah that's what I'm talkn' about!!!
Us too!!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas;
Va-NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #247
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
When we got off the Disney Wonder, my plans were to take a taxi to the clock tower (Old Town). I asked the shopping expert on our ship, and she said I should only pay $15 for a taxi to the clock tower (total price, not per person). As you get to the end of the pier, you have to go inside a building (they sell shirts, coffee, jewelry, etc..) and exit out the other side. Once you walk outside, you walk straight, and slightly to the right to get to the cabs. As soon as we approached the cab area, a gentleman asked if we needed a cab, and where we wanted to go. I told him we were going to the clock tower, and he said it would be $20. I told him that we were told it would be $15, and he said $15 was okay. So we got in the cab (me, my wife and another couple), and the driver wanted to take us on a tour of Cartegena. He wanted $20 per person, but we agreed on $15 per person. We then drove to the La Popa Monastery. It sits on the highest point in Cartegena. Great view, and interesting building. It was $4 to enter, but the view alone was worth that. The sellers "attacked" as we exited the taxi, but they weren't allowed inside, on the grounds of the Monastery, which was nice. After that, we drove to the fort (Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas). We got out and took pictures, but we didn't enter (fee to enter). We then went to the new city part of Cartegena (Bocagrande), and went to a "museum". That was what our driver told us, it was jewelry store, with a "museum" on the upper floor, showing different gems that are mined in Columbia. At first, I was a little upset that we stopped, but they had a clean restroom, and free Wi-Fi, so it was okay. After that, we stopped at a market near the old part of town. We told our driver we wanted to eat, and he took us to a restaurant. It was okay, nothing special, and he obviously got a "kickback" from the restaurant for bringing us there, but like I said, it was okay. Me and my wife divided a huge plate of rice with vegetables and chicken, and it was about $10 for that. But it was enough for two. I was mainly thirsty, and we got a couple bottles of coke. After lunch, we parked near downtown (Old Town) and walked the streets with our taxi driver. He took us all around, and that is what I enjoyed the most. The buildings are really neat to look at, and there are vendors everywhere selling watches, cuban cigars, jewelry, fresh fruit, snacks....it was really something to see. Our taxi was parked near the historic wall, so we walked on that a little and took pictures. Our taxi tour lasted from 10am to 4pm, and after the tip, I only payed $40 (total) for me and my wife. People on our cruise ship payed $49 per person, and their tour did not last as long as ours. We got to see alot for a great price. While we were in the market in Old Town, a lady from our cruise ship said they paid $100 for 6 people to take a tour in a van. Now our taxi was not the most spacious, or comfortable. But it was a great deal, and I would recommend it to others..........jonathan
(map of Cartegena port, and where our ship was docked, and the yellow dots show the path to the taxis)
Yikes!! We're not hagglers, so I think we'll just stay on the ship the day we're in Cartagena... and probably at the other ports of call as well. Wish we were going to stop at Castaway Cay

Our first Disney Cruise - November 2012 - The Bahamas on the Disney Dream
Our second Disney Cruise -- August 2013 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #248
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Quote:

If anyone is looking for a Panama Canal book, this is what they said is good in the 2013 PC thread.
Just ordered this book from Amazon.

OMD13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #249
Bellecruiser
Mouseketeer

I just bought the book too , along with David McCulloigh's history of the PC. Looking forward to some awesome reading time.

Also, thanks BonJon for the info on Cartagena. The pictures of the town make it look so charming.

EBPC, Sep 2014 and BCV for F&W 2014
VGF & SSR Jan 2015
EBTA, May 2015
Bahamas Member Cruise 2015
Bellecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #250
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker35 View Post
Yikes!! We're not hagglers, so I think we'll just stay on the ship the day we're in Cartagena... and probably at the other ports of call as well. Wish we were going to stop at Castaway Cay
I'm not going to stay onboard in all the ports but the excursions that I do pick will probably be Disney organized unless some of us decide to go on some others together. Guess I'm a pack animal.

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip

Last edited by KyCruisinSusan; 09-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #251
mmbl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Not fall here! TWC ( weather channel) really got it wrong; I had to share this blunder. It gave me a good laugh today.
-------------------------
ICY PRECIPITATION ALERT
Forecast for
______, TX

Plenty of sun
High: 103°F
Low: 77°F
Chance of Precipitation 0%
Wind SE 5 mph
Humidity 41%
-----------------------
Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #252
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Glad I got people reading! Yay! If anyone has any history heavy (without the violence) books regarding the Canal, tell me. Again, want to know what I'm getting into. Also when I'm dealing with Microbiology and Anatomy/Physiology 2 I want to have fun reads. I just finished "Rich, Pretty, Thin" fluff.

Today's weather was cloudy, rainy, in the 60s (still hot-ish for where I live), and wet... until I took my sleeping pill and then it was bright and sunny. Crow. And of course (!) during the middle of the storm my golden and my mom's lab needed to go to the dog park and run in mud... That's what I am not looking forward to in the fall/winter/spring in my neighborhood- mud.

Side note: getting together a giant first aide kit. That's one thing that I'm going to do that I didn't last two cruises. You sprain your ankle enough where it turns black/purple, you learn a few things. Plus being away from home for 2 weeks plus... I won't have access to the Island ER. :D It's also for the wedding. I told my sister my 1 job as Maid of Honor is to make sure she doesn't break her other foot (oy.).
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #253
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
Morning All. I got this email yesterday from DCL. I don't know if this effects any of you good folks, but thought ya'll might like to read what it says. (Ok, before I go any further......................is it effects?................or affects?.............I get those two sooooo confused?)

August 12, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

As you may be aware, our ships are primarily designated as non-smoking ships. However, we recognized that some Guests smoke and strive to make a comfortable and enjoyable environment for all of our Guests.

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operation based on Guest feedback and are making a change to our smoking policy. While Guests have never been permitted to smoke in their staterooms, effective November 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs. Each ship will continue to offer open-air public spaces designated as smoking areas. Information on designated smoking areas can be found on our website at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...safety/smoking.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line
In my opinion this is the best thing they have done in a long time. I don't want to cause a ruckus, but....when my hunny and I were on the EBTA in May of this year, the folks in the cabin next to us were smoking on their veranda all day (chain smoking at that). We didn't realize it, and after 5 days of my asthma and allergies being horrible we were forced to close our veranda and were unable to use it at all. We paid a good price - for what became an inside cabin. Finally when I was no longer able to tolerate the smoke that was coming through the connector door - we went to Guest Services. It took 3 more days before they could move us to another cabin. Guest Services spent those 3 days trying to contact the folks in that cabin - they chose to ignore the calls and messages. We also discovered that they had 3 small children that were in the cabin for the whole cruise - breathing in all that second hand smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMouseHouse View Post
Not to start a true debate, but we are disappointed in the new smoking policy (yes, DH and I both smoke). We are polite (too much to do on board to be hanging out on veranda all day!) about it tho and generally tend to go out very late at night or for me very early in the AM as I don't want to get dressed and out and about so early and wake up the rest of our cabin!

That being said, so wish they'd go back to the "old rules" where there was smoking on verandas on one side of ship and not the other..........

Oh, well, we'll deal and at least (hopefully there still will be) a nice place to gather and smoke in the adult area as there is now.........unless they decide to change that too - that being said, on the newer ships there aren't any good places to go if it's cold/wet/raining so the veranda was best if you wanted to get out of the weather...................
The "side to side" rule was never a real rule - just a courtesy that was ignored for the most part. I have been sailing since 2001 - never saw it in print, as an asthmatic I really stay aware of where folks are smoking - when I asked about this (had a starboard cabin with smokers next door in the early 2000's) I was told there was never a rule of that sort.

I am continually surprised that smoking is allowed at all on ANYTHING Disney - one of the things that Walt is quoted as saying is that DLR would be smoke free - since he died of lung cancer from smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbl View Post
I have 2 countdown apps ( one only Disney, one for Disney plus all other events, and a date counter ( to count between dates so I can calculate when to make reservations, etc.) You're right, some people don't get it; I love the "you know what your doing in a two years/ year and a half from now? " Ah, yes I do.
Heading out tomorrow for D.C. and Gettysburg Glad to be going, but never quite like a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth!
Only 2????? Geeeze - I have 12 countdowns going right now - 4 for this trip alone!!!
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/8/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
padalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #254
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

I was on the first Panama Cruise in 2005 - it was really interesting. We did not exit the ship in Panama (like this cruise) so the information about the canal is ONLY about the canal. We had a former director of the canal on board who spoke every day and was a wealth of information. DCL gave us a book about the canal in our staterooms that filled the the very few blanks that she didn't cover.

This past weekend my hunny and I watched numerous cargo vessels pass through the Welland Canal in Ontario...very interesting to see it from the shore side!!!
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/8/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
padalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #255
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Thanks Jonathan for this information on Cartagena. If you have any other bits of information you wouldn't mind passing along to us, we all would be very grateful.

We Are

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: