Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
hawkaye19
DIS Veteran

Miami recommended hotels close to port

Morning all,

Just curious as to the best hotels near the port to stay the night before we set sail on the Magic?

Also, best way to travel to the ship

We are very familiar with Cape Canaveral but rookies in Miami

Cheers

Bruce
2005 Apr - WDW Polynesian-Wonder-Caribbean Beach
2007 Apr - WDW Pop Century
2008 May - WDW Port Orleans (Riverside) - Disney Magic's Westbound Repositioning Cruise - Disneyland
2009 Mar - WDW Coronado Springs
2010 Apr - WDW Old Key West
2013 Dec - Disney Magic's TCM Classic Movie Cruise - WDW Coronado Springs

Cheers,

Bruce / Nancy / Liam (15)

hawkaye19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, which was very nice, and right on the water. It is also connected to a Doubletree and there is a small mall with shops (including a liquor store), and restaurants between the two. The hotel was about a 20-25 minute walk to the Bayside Marketplace, although you reduce that by riding the free Metro Mover part of the way. We took a cab to the port, about a 5-7 minute ride, I think it was 15 bucks with tip.

There is also a Holiday Inn right across the street from the Bayside Marketplace and the entrance to the causeway to the port. A lot of people recommend that but we have not stayed there, so I cannot comment.

There are a lot of hotels out near the MIA airport as well, these would be less expensive and not within walking distance to anything touristy, however for just a night before stay, that might be fine.

A cab is probably the best way to get from any of these hotels to the port. We could not find any place that offered a free shuttle although that was not something that I looked really hard for. The port is so close to downtown and the airport, pretty much anywhere should be less that 20-25 bucks for the cab.

I don't know if you have looked at any hotels in Miami yet, if not, be prepared for sticker shock! They are all pretty expensive compared to Orlando Airport or PC area hotels.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
epfootballcutie04
DiSnEy PrInCeSs

Back when I worked for Hyatt, my hubby and I stayed at the Regency when we sailed out of Miami for our honeymoon cruise. The taxi from the airport cost 15 bucks and the taxi from the hotel to the port was like 10? It was reasonable and available waiting for us at the hotel.

But even with a very generous employee discount, it was still crazy expensive. We ordered room service for breakfast. He got eggs, a bagel and a side of bacon... i got hash browns, a bagel and side of bacon and we each got an orange juice... and it came to 40 bucks!!! With the employee discount attached...

But it was a very nice hotel and close to the port and about a 20 minute ride from the airport. :-)
Contemporary *1st time to Disney!*- 92...Poly/Wonder Cruise- 01...Sailing on the Magic- 05...Going Home! SSR/OKW- 06...SSR- 07...Pop!- 09...**Disney College Program Spring Advantage!**- 09...All Star Music- 09...SSR/MNSSHP- 10...All Star Movies *Wedding Planning!*- 11...**Married my Prince Charming at WDW!**- Nov 11..Disney Dream- Oct 12...Disney Fantasy MutinEARS- Nov 13...Rockin the Dock Fantasy Sailing- Oct 14

Disney Fantasy Trip Report: November 2nd-9th 2013:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3222476
epfootballcutie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
dannirose
Mouseketeer

I also stayed at the Marriott before and after my cruise out of Miami. It was very nice and easy to get to/from the port but as PP said, it is pricier than hotels near PC. That being said, I will likely stay there again before our cruise in April.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

FLL hotels are cheaper. Also the airport area ones are better priced than downtown.

The No.1 in TripAdvisor is the Hampton Inn Brickwell downtown. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (by the airport) - no. 10 at tripadvisor - because parking was free and it was a secure garage.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
meldobbs
Earning My Ears

We've booked the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North for our cruise in March 2014. The place gets pretty good reviews - $129 for 2 Queen beds, and free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port.
meldobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

We found a surprisingly reasonable rate at the Intercontinental last April. It's right on the waterfront. The Bayside Marketplace was just across the park and the Metro Mover was right across the street.

Nothing at the hotel besides the room rate was reasonable (breakfast was exorbitant, internet was pricey) but if you don't need extras, it was a nice treat for a couple nights.

We could see the port from our room, but the port is not walkable so you'd need a cab or shuttle from anywhere, and I can't imagine it would be any cheaper than from there!
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
pershing
DIS Veteran

I'm interested in a Miami hotel too for pre-cruise Jan 2.

Has anyone used Priceline or Hotwire for this or for Fort Lauderdale? Any tips? Tricks? Or Free Re-bidding Zones?

Or has anyone used a Hyatt Stay Certificate for Miami.

I'm looking to get as good of a price as I can. Breakfast is not a must as we normally wake up late and not hungry upon boarding.usually.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

Sue
01/02/14-01/05/14 Disney Magic 04/13/13 - 04/20/13 Disney Fantasy 04/19/12 - 04/22/12 Disney Dream 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 Disney Dream 05/10/09 - 05/14/09 Disney Wonder 04/14/07 - 04/21/07 Disney Magic 01/15/05 - 01/22/05 Disney Magic 11/13/03 - 11/16/03 Disney Wonder
pershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

A follow up, if the OP is familiar with the "Stay Certificates" that a lot of people use at the Hyatt MCO. There is a Hyatt in downtown Miami, when we looked into it, the "Stay Certificate" there was actually cheaper than the one in Orlando. This was the absolute cheapest way to stay in a higher end hotel, If I recall correctly, it was only $129 a night with the "cert". Of course, those "certs" are based on room availability for that "cert" so there may not be anything available and the whole reason we didn't stay there was that the reviews for that Hotel were pretty bad, which is hard to understand for a Hyatt Regency.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Delrea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldobbs
We've booked the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North for our cruise in March 2014. The place gets pretty good reviews - $129 for 2 Queen beds, and free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port.
Can you park for free there while you're on the cruise?
Delrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Also note that hotels in Miami will be MUCH more expensive in the winter months than the summer months.

Summer in many parts of Florida (other than WDW and theme parks) is low season. High season is winter when everyone gets away from the cold in other areas.

We have experienced this in Key West and in Delray/Boca and other areas. Very reasonable during the summer but come winter double the price for same hotel.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
FLL hotels are cheaper. Also the airport area ones are better priced than downtown.

The No.1 in TripAdvisor is the Hampton Inn Brickwell downtown. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon (by the airport) - no. 10 at tripadvisor - because parking was free and it was a secure garage.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
hawkaye19
DIS Veteran

Excellent feedback

Thanks to everyone who responded, lots of options to check out

We are flying in the night before we sail on the TCM chartered Magic sailing the 8th of Dec, so just a place to relax after flying from Ottawa thru Chicago to Miami.

One last question, when we arrive back from our cruise, we are hopping on a flight to Orlando for a week at WDW, are taxis plentiful at the cruiseport, or should we arrange for something else to get us to the airport?

Cheers

Bruce
2005 Apr - WDW Polynesian-Wonder-Caribbean Beach
2007 Apr - WDW Pop Century
2008 May - WDW Port Orleans (Riverside) - Disney Magic's Westbound Repositioning Cruise - Disneyland
2009 Mar - WDW Coronado Springs
2010 Apr - WDW Old Key West
2013 Dec - Disney Magic's TCM Classic Movie Cruise - WDW Coronado Springs

Cheers,

Bruce / Nancy / Liam (15)

hawkaye19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkaye19 View Post
One last question, when we arrive back from our cruise, we are hopping on a flight to Orlando for a week at WDW, are taxis plentiful at the cruiseport, or should we arrange for something else to get us to the airport?
Plenty of taxis queue up at the port. You shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes for one. There is also the SuperShuttle to the airport. For two, SuperShuttle is slightly cheaper than a taxi (but the difference is only $5-10 dollars), but for 3 or more the taxi is the best deal.

It might be tempting, but don't let yourself get poached by the "unofficial" shuttle operators who hang around the port. There were a bunch of them there when we arrived and while they're a few dollars cheaper than SuperShuttle, they're completely unregulated and not always above board. Stick with a cab or a legitimate shuttle operation.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
meldobbs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrea View Post
Can you park for free there while you're on the cruise?
I think they have park and stay packages. The site I booked through was comfortsuitesmiamiairport(dot)com
(sorry I'm not permitted to post proper links until I am trusted)

Also check the La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East, they have the same deal with free airport and port shuttles. We just ended up with Comfort Suites because it was a few dollars cheaper.
meldobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: