Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Horseback Riding at Fort Wilderness

Please tell me your experience with this! We are thinking of doing this in November. Do you ride on trails though the campground?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Arenita
Are we there yet?

It is a very mild, no thrill, nose-to-tail tour through back trails at Fort Wilderness. If you don't ride often, it is quite enjoyable. My party included a young adult, a 9yo and 11yo. It was a coming-of-age adventure for the 9yo.

Apr 86 DL...Sep 93 WDW Off-site...Nov 05 WDW Off-site...May 07 POFQ '50th B-day'!...Aug 08 Poly 'We survived TS Fay'~Hawaii Upgrade!...Aug 09 GF 'P-O-S-H Trip'~Lagoon View upgrade!...Jun 10 FWC 'Gathering of the Princesses'~1st Road Trip...Dec 10 CR 'ChiChi's Very Merry Birthday Party'...Aug 11 FWC 'FACES@TheFort' ~Road Trip #2...Dec 11 YC 'Occupy Main Street USA'~First solo trip!...Jul 12 SSR 'TrulyEpicAdventure.4.3'~Road Trip #3...Jun13 FWC 'Stitch's Great Escape XIII'~Road Trip #4...Sep 13 BWI 'Spidercuzzins Not So Scary F&WF'...Dec 13 WL 'Chillin' Christmas'...Feb 14 AKL 'Jambo Junket'~Solo Trip #2...Apr 14 BC 'Flower Power!'~Solo Trip #3...Sep 14 BWI 'Diva-licious Magic'...Nov 14 WL 'Lodge Tree-t'...Jan 15 AKL 'Where I'm Going?'
Arenita is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

How long is the ride?
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
NinaBella
Mouseketeer

I think the ride was 30 minutes long for us. It wasn't through the main campground but they have separate trails on the campground. There were a lot of trees and bushes on the trail and in the narrow parts of the trail my horse constantly wanting to stop and eat the bushes to which the guide didn't want him to do so I had to keep struggling to pull him back up and keep him from getting distracted. Overall, not the best riding experience, but if you have no other experience to compare it to, it can be fun. Not very scenic trail to me which I would have preferred. I suppose they want to keep the horses on secluded trails and trained to walk the narrow trails with no distractions.
NinaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Both sons will be joining us. They are 17 and 23. Both have never ridden a horse before. They both think it would be fun to try. I don't want them to walk away thinking.....I never want to ride again because that was aweful. What do you think?

Also, could you do it wearing shorts? What if it is bad weather, anyone know what happens then?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaldisney View Post
Both sons will be joining us. They are 17 and 23. Both have never ridden a horse before. They both think it would be fun to try. I don't want them to walk away thinking.....I never want to ride again because that was aweful. What do you think?

Also, could you do it wearing shorts? What if it is bad weather, anyone know what happens then?
You can do it in shorts. But wear closed toe shoes. We did it a number of years ago. I used to ride, dh and dd (then about 10) had no prior experience. Dd was terrified but the CMs made her feel very relaxed. The ride was about 45 mins, through the woods, nose to tail style. The afternoon we rode, there was a huge storm. The skies opened about half way into the ride. We were soaked! Truly soaked. They refunded our money when we returned to the office.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Don Disney
DIS Veteran

How much does it cost,and are the any requirements or limits?
Don Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Disney View Post
How much does it cost,and are the any requirements or limits?
I'm reading it's $46 per person for 45 minutes.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
The afternoon we rode, there was a huge storm. The skies opened about half way into the ride. We were soaked! Truly soaked. They refunded our money when we returned to the office.
Yikes, this is what I'm worried about. Thank goodness you got a refund. Do you think you could cancel if you are there and it looks like bad weather? This brings me to another question. Do you have to make reservations way ahead of time? I was thinking of going on Thanksgiving Day. Is it something we could wait until we are there to see what the weather is looking like?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
tsme
DIS Veteran

We did it a few weeks ago. I think the total for two people was like 90 something dollars total. You do need to book it ahead of time. It rained most of our stay but it was always in the afternoon. We were worried all the way up til that morning about weather, but it turned out fine. The trail was muddy, but not a problem. The CMs are great. My dd had never been on a horse & was very worried. They helped her & she was fine & wanted to do it again. The ride is tail to nose but you're not suppose to let your horse get too close to the rear of the horse in front of you. My DD let her horse get close to the one I was riding & he bit my horse's butt! Needless to say, my horse was not very happy.
All together it's really a nice experience.
A little extra information I thought was interesting. All the horses are males. They do not "fix" female horse, only males, so the males are calmer. I didn't know that.
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
danikoski
Earning My Ears

Go on the trail ride! My best friend and I went last November. We are both equestrian assisted therapy riding instructors and we still enjoyed the trail ride. Actually, the trail ride is well organized, one of the best I've been on, the wranglers were great, and the horses appeared to be very well cared for. The ride time does not start until everyone is mounted and on the trail, so it is full 45 min. You also need to wear closed toed shoes and they will provide helmets. Although you can ride in shorts, I'd recommend jeans. If you have guys, make sure they don't wear too baggy pants or they wear some tighter undies... Sounds funny, but I work with guys in saddles routinely...there is a reason cowboys wear tight jeans
You can also call ahead and see how full the day is...I'd recommend that for Thanksgiving day...it would give you an idea of whether you need to book early.
danikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
danikoski
Earning My Ears

Oh, and if you get a chance, head up by Hoop Dee Do Revue and see Cinderella's ponies and the big draft horses. You can pet the ponies, and the big guys usually have their heads over the stall...the barn is pretty neat too.
danikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #13
RubySue
Mouseketeer

Riders must be 9 yrs or older and under 250 lbs.
Helmets are required and will be provided. Closed toed shoes are required. Long pants recommended.

My grandsons (then 12 and 16) really enjoyed the ride. They were the only people who showed! Two CMs and my grandsons went on the ride and had a blast.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...ircle-d-ranch/

I've been to WDW and used FP+ ** I've been to WDW and used the old FP ** I've been to WDW before FastPass existed ** and I've been to WDW before Animal Kingdom, the Studios, and EPCOT existed ** It's all good!

RubySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know what the current schedule is for this? We have around 4 hours free on a Saturday in November and this looks like a great activity for us.
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Sad to say, they do weigh you and enforce the 250lb limit -- I was 255 and they wouldn't let me on the horse.

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: