Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Which resorts would be best for this family?

A friend of mine recently asked me to help her plan a trip for her daughter's birthday in November. WRT hotels, she said she was hoping to find something "mid priced" (that was as specific as she got when I asked for a budget to work around), but that she also was hoping for a suite type set up so that she and her husband could hang out/watch TV after their daughter goes to bed. They are military, so hopefully there will be armed forces salute discounts, but those haven't been released for November yet.

I did some research tonight, and it looks like Art of Animation is the cheapest suite option at about $300/night. (Dates are flexible - looking at the Thurs-Mon options in November *before* Thanksgiving). DVC Resorts like OKW were 477/night. These are rack rates, obviously - but I have no idea if there are any discounts out there for this time yet?

For standard room options, assuming they don't want to go 300+/night, I was focusing on POFQ, Art of Animation LM rooms (though I think they'll be too small), Swan & Dolphin (the layout of bed/sleeper sofa seems conducive to the adults being able to watch TV?) and Shades of Green.

Is there something else I should consider? Would renting DVC points be a cheaper option to be able to get a DVC 1 BR Villa than going through the Disney site? I've never tried to rent points before so I don't know anything about that..

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

It would help to know the age of the daughter.

It is getting harder and harder to make these types of recommendations since FP+ requires a Disney resort stay, leaving many other great offerings out, such as WBC or S/D, etc. (Unless that's not an issue for them.)

Friends of ours are military but stayed at an offsite hotel recently. They went over to Shades of Green to pick up their tickets and were they didn't book there. They said they would next time.

If they want something "mid-priced" I doubt they're thinking $300+ per night.

This might be a tough one. I'd probably look at Moderates or renting points (since she did indicate she didn't need the cheapest option possible, etc.). I also think they might be ok in a Value, too (which can certainly hit the "mid priced" range, depending on when you go) but you could ask how they feel about it. (Small rooms don't bother our family of 4, but I know many can't stand them.)

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

All star music has suites too. They are usually cheaper than AoA. Also the Ft wilderness cabins.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Having seen an all stars room and stayed at shades myself, if they are going for a standard room, I will most likely leave out the values since shades' rooms are so much bigger. No fp+, but I will talk to them and see if its a big.deal.

I believe the daughter is either 4 now, turning 5 in nov, or 3 now and turning 4 in Nov

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal
All star music has suites too. They are usually cheaper than AoA. Also the Ft wilderness cabins.
I didn't know that! Thanks, I will look into that tomorrow!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

I think your friend might be shocked at the prices of the suite-type setup. You might want to give her a heads up on the pricing, before you spend any more time researching.
SharonZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: