Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
ValentineJulie
Mouseketeer

Happens to me also! Every year at the beach and on the cruise. I take a "water pill" everyday as soon as vacation starts and it helps. We went to Disney World for one day once after our beach vacation and I thought I was absolutely going to die from the swelling and rash that happened that day. The broken capillaries lasted for a week or so.

ValentineJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineJulie View Post
Happens to me also! Every year at the beach and on the cruise. I take a "water pill" everyday as soon as vacation starts and it helps. We went to Disney World for one day once after our beach vacation and I thought I was absolutely going to die from the swelling and rash that happened that day. The broken capillaries lasted for a week or so.

IBUPROFEN!! Trust me, after being miserable for several years' worth of trips, it's like a miracle!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Does the ibuprofen work after the swelling starts?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Ibuprofen & Fluid Retention
Oct 18, 2011 | By Assia M. Mortensen

Ibuprofen is an over-the-counter pain reliever that is useful for the treatment of minor aches and pains. It is classified as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent. According to Drugs.com, fluid retention has been observed in some patients taking ibuprofen. For that reason, the medication should be used with caution in patients who already have fluid retention, kidney or heart problems. Consult your doctor about the possible risks of taking ibuprofen.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...uid-retention/

From FDA reports: Ibuprofen and Water retention

This is a study of Water retention (Fluid Retention) among people who take Ibuprofen. The study analyzes: the time on Ibuprofen when people have Water retention, gender and age of these people, the severity of Water retention, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Ibuprofen. In total 53,186 Ibuprofen users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.

Ibuprofen

Ibuprofen has active ingredients of ibuprofen. It is used in pain, headache, back pain - low, inflammation, arthritis. Commonly reported side effects of Ibuprofen include pain, nausea, stress and anxiety, fatigue, nausea and vomiting.

Water retention

Water retention has been reported by people with high blood pressure, primary pulmonary hypertension, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, multiple sclerosis.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/ibuprofen/water+retention

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
BethA
DIS Veteran

I found this all interesting. I start to swell as soon as we get on an airplane and it usually lasts the whole cruise or vacation. I try to sleep with my feet up at night. Glad I am not the only one.
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
CruisinEars
Engaged at WDW 8/23/95!

I have always had super bad swelling on cruises (I have done 7). This last cruise I was, and am, on an extreme low carb way of eating due to medical reasons. I had no swelling at all. I am thinking it might be all the sugar and breads I would have eaten in the past. I don't blame salt at all even though I have my share as I just recently learned salt is not an enemy of our systems the way we think.

Article:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/op...anted=all&_r=0

Number of Trips:
WDW=7
DL=7
DCL=1
CruisinEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

This is quite fascinating!

Absolutely some amount of salt is needed by the body. Several years back some friends of ours did this diet where you cut out all salt. A week into it the husband was mowing his grass and passed out on the front lawn. It was the lack of salt!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinEars View Post
I have always had super bad swelling on cruises (I have done 7). This last cruise I was, and am, on an extreme low carb way of eating due to medical reasons. I had no swelling at all. I am thinking it might be all the sugar and breads I would have eaten in the past. I don't blame salt at all even though I have my share as I just recently learned salt is not an enemy of our systems the way we think.

Article:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/op...anted=all&_r=0
This is so interesting. I don't eat carbs and haven't had an issue with swelling yet but I do swell on airplanes.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

That's me!!! It was a week before I could put my shoes back on...

They even had to let me into Palo (all dressed of course) with flip flops on!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

I never had this issue when we cruised in 03' (3 night) or 04' (7 night) so I sure hope it doesn't happen on my EBPC next year (14 night), cause it sounds like it sucks.

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #26
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I had it on the WBPC cruise in '08... I'd go prepared... ask your doctor for a water pill to use if you are worried.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #27
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

What's a water pill?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #28
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
What's a water pill?
It's a diuretic and it pulls water out of your system. There are many different types of them and I don't recommend them without the approval of your doctor. They can be dangerous if you are being treated for other conditions or if you have any kind of kidney problem.

My feet swelled like crazy on my last cruise and I thought they were going to explode when I was in Cuba in May. After I figured out the bottled water we were drinking in Cuba had sodium in it and found a different kind, that helped.

"Salt" isn't the problem. Sodium is the problem and regardless of the article posted above and any debate re: longterm effects on blood pressure, increased sodium intake will make you retain water and swell. That's basic anatomy and physiology.

Last edited by ilovetexas; 07-20-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: .
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #29
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post

It's a diuretic and it pulls water out of your system. There are many different types of them and I don't recommend them without the approval of your doctor. They can be dangerous if you are being treated for other conditions or if you have any kind of kidney problem.

My feet swelled like crazy on my last cruise and I thought they were going to explode when I was in Cuba in May. After I figured out the bottled water we were drinking in Cuba had sodium in it and found a different kind, that helped.

"Salt" isn't the problem. Sodium is the problem and regardless of the article posted above and any debate re: longterm effects on blood pressure, increased sodium intake will make you retain water and swell. That's basic anatomy and physiology.
Pretty sure the article wasn't saying to increase your intake but that we all need SOME in our diet. How much depends on sweat and activity level. Too little and you risk hyponatremia, which can be deadly.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108
Does the ibuprofen work after the swelling starts?
It does. I've tried everything and it's the only thing that helps, even after I start swelling.
I read the article PrincessSchmoo posted, but none of it is true for me.
Water pills don't do anything for my swollen legs, but they do cause me to visit every restroom onboard!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: