Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Resorts Do YOU Like Best Out Of These?
AoA 0 0%
AKV 7 77.78%
CBR 1 11.11%
POR 2 22.22%
CSR 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
morninggale
Earning My Ears

Book on Disney Site or an Off-Site or DVP

By off-site I mean Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels, etc.
Ok so I have two very big questions
One- I have been pondering this for some time now, I know most people book on the Disney website and their vacation is paid for there, now here's what I'm thinking of, when I checked prices on Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels, etc the prices for the resorts are cheaper and if we pick AoA those prices will be wonderful. Now here is what I'm worried about let's use Orbitz for example-
1) Will we still receive benefits if we book through a different website
2) Will we still get the room we desire or will we end up being pushed over if a family from the Disney website purchased the room and they have no more room
3) Is it worth doing it from another website? I mean this is what I got-
Disney AoA Suite- Tickets + Resort Rooms= $4,651 if we add Dining=$6,528
Orbitz AoA Suite- Resort Rooms + Disney Tickets=$4,089

Were paying OOP (or do you recommend the Dining Plan?) and have a budget of $5,000 but are willing to go $6,000 however the CSR resort is only $3,675.

Two- DVC Points, were not members but I notice some folks rent points for their vacations. I went to a site called dvcrequest.com and have found amazing prices for just $14.00 a point. I really like the Animal Kingdom Villas Studio Savannah Room for only $1,988!!! That's more than half of the resort price now when I add Disney Tickets- $1,657 and the Disney Dining Plan $1,722 that comes out to $5,300 our price range!!!! XD

Now here's the thing those resorts aren't really our first choice for our first stay granted they're beautiful and Deluxe but ehe maybe for our second stay. It's a big jump from Value to Deluxe and so I'm asking to all who has made that jump or has stayed at AoA or AKV to which they prefer.

P.S- Were a picky family and have POR, CSR, CBR and PC to also look at but those first two are the main resorts and PC is more of a last resort thing. Huh I just punned myself I think? x)

Any help and advice will be so greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you to all who reply!
morninggale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

DVC points - you can do DDP but when you add it you pay for it NOW - and thru the DVC member.

the tickets you can get on your own and maybe save some money.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

When are you going? If a discount is released for the dates of your trip you wouldn't be able to apply it to your reservation through Orbitz, Expedia, etc. So that is something very important to consider. As far as "benefits" I assume you mean bus service and things like that? Yes you would still be entitled to all the resort amenities and benefits just like any other paying guest. As for room requests (things like requesting a certain floor or view, etc) I'm not sure if Orbitz, Expedia, etc, has the ability to add room requests to your reservation??? That's a good question. Hopefully someone with experience doing that can help you.

We have rented DVC points before and the AKV are beautiful! That would definitely be a great vacation!!
My WDW Resort stays: Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 *Boardwalk 2014, 2013, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Art of Animation 2014 * Wilderness Lodge 2014, 2011, 2004, 2003 * Saratoga Springs 2007 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Coronado Spring 2014 *
Live from the WL CL for Christmas!!! Come join the fun: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52762897
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'm also not sure of your dates, and if Disney has a promo for your dates out. On the web site you'd have to click on the Specials link to see.

Booking thru Orbitz or one of those sites, yes you do get the same perks of staying on site that anyone else does.

David's DVC is a safe reputable site to rent points with. We've stayed at AKL (non DVC) and loved it.

In the moderate category, POR is our fav.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
morninggale
Earning My Ears

I know if I do DVC I have to pay upfront but I have the money ready just not sure which resort as you can tell from my situation.
Yes benefits like the magical express, extra magic hours, etc, although were heading to Disney by car so the express wouldn't matter as much.
Huh there are room requests that I would love to try and get maybe someone on the boards would know more, hope they come and see this thread then
I see for now its AKV that's doing the best and POR does look wonderful I especially love the garden view Magnolia Terrace rooms. The only concern of mine is that this is our first trip and I guess my family's mainly my sister's is to have a more Disney themed resort.
Were planning on going May 3-11 so 8 nights with 7 day tickets. Plus I only just this year started doing Disney things so Pins and Codes I do not receive than again they come at random I hear.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
morninggale
Earning My Ears

Oy! I see my question still isn't answered, please to anyone who knows even a bit post I'm really confused on what to do. x)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
TarrahA
Mouseketeer

I don't think there's a "right" answer, it's up to what you're comfortable with, and how much work you want to put into planning.

A lot of people in your situation (almost full yr before trip) will book thru Disney using a small discount, like AAA (about 15% room rate I think), but will be looking out for better discounts later down the road - either a bigger room rate discount (up to 35% off) or free dining. The advantage here w/ booking thru Disney is having trip funds refundable, able to adjust dates/resorts if needed easily, and possibly saving more than a 3rd party like Orbitz IF discounts end up being offered for your date range. The only real advantage I would see from booking thru a 3rd party would be substantial savings if you could piece-meal your vacation (which is more effort than booking a package w/ Disney) - buy room thru Orbitz, tickets from undercover tourist or corporate discount, and OOP for food. But only you know what risks you're comfortable with & if a piece-meal vacation would be substantially less than booking thru Disney, so do the math & research their historical discounts in the month of May (mouse savers.com has good historical data) & see what would work best for you.

Hope that helps!
TarrahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
ness0905
Mouseketeer

OK first if you are staying on site you get all perks no matter where you book.
2. Renting points is great I have used that sight before and can get deluxe resort for mod prices studios thru dvc have a microwave and toaster,some supplies which comes in handy when reheating left overs or bring food for breakfast in the room. These things are not available in value not sure about mod.
3. Values have kid friendly themeing very Disney but if your looking at all savannah view that should excite kids also so that's a toss up. The rooms are your average hotel room with mini fridge we have stayed mostly value we love it we are a spend all day in the parks and go to room to crash family so we don't pay more for extra in resorts but renting dvc gives us best of both.
4. Side note akl is close to AK but far from every other park 12 miles to mk where aoa is 7 miles

So it comes down to what your family would like best and what is better suited for you.
ness0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
ness0905
Mouseketeer

OK first if you are staying on site you get all perks no matter where you book.
2. Renting points is great I have used that sight before and can get deluxe resort for mod prices studios thru dvc have a microwave and toaster,some supplies which comes in handy when reheating left overs or bring food for breakfast in the room. These things are not available in value not sure about mod.
3. Values have kid friendly themeing very Disney but if your looking at all savannah view that should excite kids also so that's a toss up. The rooms are your average hotel room with mini fridge we have stayed mostly value we love it we are a spend all day in the parks and go to room to crash family so we don't pay more for extra in resorts but renting dvc gives us best of both.
4. Side note akl is close to AK but far from every other park 12 miles to mk where aoa is 7 miles

So it comes down to what your family would like best and what is better suited for you.
ness0905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: