Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
kddisney502
P: What's the problem with Goofy?
L: Wish I knew, he's fine with Pluto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballfan7 View Post
Usually when a sprinkler head is activated because someone hung something off it or struck it, it is because the frangible bulb or fusible link was broken not because the head itself broke off.
This is why lots of hotels have signs on the sprinklers to discourage people from hanging clothing/hangers off the sprinkler. I've seen this happen all too often. I can't remember if disney hotels have these signs. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
A Dis friend is there now and he told me that there is a clean up crew on site. It was about 6 families (rooms) that had to be moved. The Mara is being fixed now. New tile was going up at around 3:00 this morning. Said it should reopen shortly. - not sure if that means today or not. We check in on July 29th. I don't anticipate it being a problem still by the way he described it.
I am constantly amazed at how fast Disney works on these kinds of things (the Mine Train is another story....).

I need DIsney to train my husband on the art of getting stuff done fast (kitchen has been in a state of remodel for 11 months now..).

What a mess for the few rooms involved.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
ftballfan7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHardin View Post
The OP said it was 40 minutes, not 4 hours.
Oops, My bad.

That makes alot more sense. It was probably more like 10 minutes to get the sprinkler shut off and then another 30 minutes waiting for the upper floors to drain below the point of the leak. Although a newer building such as this likely has shutoffs on every floor or even section of floor.

Sprinkler heads can be wedged to block the flow and limit the damage while you wait for the system to drain. You get soaked doing this and as such is a job usually relegated to the junior firefighter who is immediately available. An often heard quote: "time to get wet probie!"
Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
A Dis friend is there now and he told me that there is a clean up crew on site. It was about 6 families (rooms) that had to be moved. The Mara is being fixed now. New tile was going up at around 3:00 this morning. Said it should reopen shortly. - not sure if that means today or not. We check in on July 29th. I don't anticipate it being a problem still by the way he described it.
Thanks for this info. It makes me feel so much better.

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
heidibilotti
Mouseketeer

Mara was reopened this morning and things were looking much better this afternoon
Old 07-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
wyurm
Mouseketeer

I feel bad for everyone affected but especially the person responsible. It's never fun to be shamed on vacation.

I once clogged the toilet right after arriving at a hotel in Hawaii and had to call the janitor. That was embarrassing enough. At least I didn't have to have firefighters go into my room in front of other guests to fix my problem.
wyurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I just got back home and other than dryers in the 2nd floor hall, I never noticed thing. Mara was fine and I don't remember seeing anything on the 3rd floor.

My husband is a firefighter and once, someone hung a candle on the wall sprinkler ... And it blew.
I am in construction and someone would really have to hit that head hard to dislodge the wax cap or head itself.

40 minutes may seem like a long time, but the fire dept has to get there.. Determine that it isn't an actual fire before closing off the system.

DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

Where I live a student flew a toy helicopter into a sprinkler head causing the school to flood. It apparently caused several thousand dollars worth of damage.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
DisneyDmbNut

WL Vet

yep.. most commercial structures have a 30 - 90 gallon per minute set up

Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #25
Nina1
Disney Lover

I was thinking hanger on a sprinkler head, too. Nothing people do in hotels surprises me anymore. We were in an extended stay resort in South Carolina on one of my husband's long term business trips several years ago (DS wasn't in school yet, so we made a vacation of it). In the middle of the night, the fire alarm went off. We could hear the fire trucks coming. Jumped out of bed and headed down the stairs. After we had been outside for a few minutes, a very kind and slightly irritated fireman told us it was safe to go back in.

The next morning, we asked the front desk staff what had happened (they all were very sweet and since we had been there for a while, we had struck up a friendship). Seems a guest had come back from the beach and was cold. So, he decided to take the sheets off the bed and heat them in the microwave so he could warm up. I thought she was joking. Nope. I was speechless. I guess to someone out there in the world, the most natural thing isn't to take a hot bath or turn off the AC when he is cold. It makes much more sense to put something flammable in the microwave.

Anyway, glad things worked out at AKL!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina1 View Post
I was thinking hanger on a sprinkler head, too. Nothing people do in hotels surprises me anymore. We were in an extended stay resort in South Carolina on one of my husband's long term business trips several years ago (DS wasn't in school yet, so we made a vacation of it). In the middle of the night, the fire alarm went off. We could hear the fire trucks coming. Jumped out of bed and headed down the stairs. After we had been outside for a few minutes, a very kind and slightly irritated fireman told us it was safe to go back in.

The next morning, we asked the front desk staff what had happened (they all were very sweet and since we had been there for a while, we had struck up a friendship). Seems a guest had come back from the beach and was cold. So, he decided to take the sheets off the bed and heat them in the microwave so he could warm up. I thought she was joking. Nope. I was speechless. I guess to someone out there in the world, the most natural thing isn't to take a hot bath or turn off the AC when he is cold. It makes much more sense to put something flammable in the microwave.

Anyway, glad things worked out at AKL!
You know, that one takes the cake.

I work as a construction project manager for the government, and we are in the process of putting sprinklers in all of our remaining buildings that have not previously had them.

This is where people would make what I call - a people problem into a building problem. And we have to continually think of new and interesting ways to make sure people don't make mistakes like this.

Who would have thought, that instead of turning down the A/C unit, he did that. Ugh. That is what always bothers me, when someone gets blamed eventually for what is clearly a people problem.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
CNYDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Yikes.
CNYDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina1 View Post

absolutely incredible

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
DisneyDmbNut

WL Vet

when I worked in a hospital ER, people would come in and if they needed a warm blanket, we would stick it in the microwave (for about a minute) to give patients. I still use this trick today to warm a towel for my puppy...but I stand there and watch it (yes..I am the wife..but I totally stand there and watch it..sounds like that guy left it in there for a LONG time!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

The fans on the second floor are still running today.
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: