Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
southlakejr
Mouseketeer

January or February?

So DH and I are planning our first WDW trip. (yay!) We are DL vets flying out from CA and trying to decide if we should go the tail end of January or beginning of February.

Since we don't have kids and have the luxury of going whenever it suits us (timing wise), and we are giant wimps about humidity, we figured the beginning of the year would work well for us. We figured this way we could really take advantage of low crowds and prices.

We are currently torn between the end of January and the beginning of February. I've heard that tour groups are a pain in January- are they still around at the end of the month? Any advantage to one time over the other? Anything we should be aware of? We're also open to going later in the year as well if there is another time.

Also, is seven days too long for two adults during a slow time of year?
southlakejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

There is very little difference between the tail end of January and the early part of February. Once you get to mid-February however, the crowd levels increase significantly. I'd just go with what ever fits your travel schedule better.
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
HelenHills
Earning My Ears

January.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We went Feb 5th through 11th last February and had great weather. It was sunny every day with temps in the 70's. The humidity was low, too.

We didn't see any of those large tour groups but we did have a lot of cheerleaders. They only seemed to bother us when they got ahead of us or sat behind us for a ride. They are a very chatty group.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Inklight
Earning My Ears

My DH and I just returned from a wonderful trip to WDW in June and while we had a great time, the weather and crowds were a bit exhausting. We had reserved another trip in September (wanting to take advantage of Free Dining) but decided to change that once we returned home, exchanging Free Dining for moderate temps. and lower crowds.

We chose Jan. 27 - Feb. 4, 2014 sandwiching our dates between holidays (Martin Luther King Birthday Jan. 20 and President's Weekend Feb. 20) and the Walt Disney World Marathons (WDW Marathon Jan. 8-12 and Disney Princess Half Marathon Feb. 20-23). We are hoping this puts us in a prime position for a great promotion to attach to our package!

We are from Southern California with grown children and will travel on our own. We have the ability, like you, to go anytime during the year ... so why put ourselves through that heat and crowds if it isn't necessary? That was our thought when we returned from our June trip.

As for the time you are looking to spend there ... I don't think seven days is too long. In fact, we just added a day to make it eight! Walt Disney World offers so many options, you could spend all of your time in all of the parks or take some time to relax at their beautiful resorts. That is why we added the extra day ... we wanted time to also just relax!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
southlakejr
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input! Tentatively, I think we're looking at getting in noonish on the 25th of January, and leaving afternoon or so on the 1st of Feb. Would be much easier to pull the trigger with a promo or pin code!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlakejr View Post
Thanks for all the input! Tentatively, I think we're looking at getting in noonish on the 25th of January, and leaving afternoon or so on the 1st of Feb. Would be much easier to pull the trigger with a promo or pin code!
There was both a room only discount and the stay, play and dine plan available for that time period last year. I'm sure they will offer some sort of discount again, since that is the value season and a low crowd period.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
ladybub101
Mouseketeer

We are first timers going the same dates as Inklight Jan.27-Feb.4, 2 families of 5. We chose the dates based on low crowds and cheap flights. And we want to get out of the snow! Otherwise, we would have gone in September for free dining.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Going in Jan, unfortunately timing set by when I can get off work. We have found that moswt of Jan and early Frb to be fine. Some days due to events may get a bit more crowded, but never un manageable.

The window other posters have indicated would be ideal.

We go 2-3 times per year and aim for 5 - 10 days per visit. So, no, 7 days is not too long - it's perfect! If anything, you could add a day or two if it is your first time. WDW is huge and has so much to do. The only down side is that some things will be closed for rehab at that time of year and hours of operation will be shorter. Often when we go in Jan/Feb at least one water park is closed. Check Deb Wills allears website for scheduled rehabs and closures.

ENjoy! This is our fav time to visit!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
southlakejr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
There was both a room only discount and the stay, play and dine plan available for that time period last year. I'm sure they will offer some sort of discount again, since that is the value season and a low crowd period.
We're really hoping for SPD this year. While a room discount would still be great, we are unlikely to try much of the TS restaurants without some form of the dining plan (which we wouldn't pay full price for) Since DL doesn't really have much table service, it just seems like a foreign concept to us!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
katiee37
DIS Veteran

Honestly I would just go with whichever week you can find the cheapest airfare for. Resort prices will be roughly the same for both late January and early February, so airfare is the only thing that may make a difference budget wise. Have a magical trip!
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
poohnpigletCA
DIS Veteran

Hi,
Ok we are so in the same boat as you (except we have kids).
We live in Norther California and have had AP's to Disneyland off and on for years. When hubby first suggested Disneyworld a few years ago I freaked it was just so big.
Ok, pretty much plan on 2 travel days. No matter how I changed my flights going there you have the time change and coming back the magical express picks you up 3 hours prior to your flight.
The cheapest flights out of San Jose I could left on a Wednesday and came back on a Saturday.
The biggest difference is you have to do much more planning before you left.
Dinning ADR is 180 days out. So that is coming up soon. We are going at the end of January into the start of February. I hope free dinning comes out for that time of year. It is better to make your table service adr's and then just cancel if you do not get free dinning.
Ok you also want to make your hotel reservation prior to making your dinning reservations. If you stay onsite then you can make your reservation at 180 plus 10 days. Meaning you can then make your reservations for the entire trip instead of having to call each day.
I hope that helps.
poohnpigletCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
merdie
Earning My Ears

We are going the first week of February for the second time. It was fantastic last time. The crowds were so low and we rarely waited in line for anything. It was cool with low humidity. Perfect weather!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: