Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
CastleGazerMom
Mouseketeer

What Would You Do?

Basic Facts:
1. Arriving at MCO 10/31 at 6pm
2. Picking Up Rental Car
3. Have Tickets to MNSSHP that starts at 7pm
4. Staying at POP

I am a worry wart by nature so I:
1. Don't want to stress about missing party time
2. Don't want to stress about not having check in to the resort yet

I am thinking my best plan would be:
1. Land and grab car
2. Swing by POP lobby and pick up Online Check in Packet
3. Head to MK for the party

Since its just the three of us and our DS is 12y, I think that I could hussle them through the process (You go get the bags, I will get the car - meet back here) and then they wait at POP while I run in and grab the 'goodies' so we know that after the party we can just skip the lobby and head for our rooms with our luggage from the car.

Does that seem doable to you? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. The MNSSHP is going to be a surprise so if I do the above, my big reveal will need to be maybe at the airport while we are waiting to leave Cleveland so everyone knows the plan.
Jun 96 - 25th WDW Anni (off prop) Nov 99 - Christmas (off prop) Oct 04 - Halloween (Pop Century) Nov 05 - With Gram (All Star Movies) Dec 08 - New Years Eve (Pop Century) Nov 12 - First Trip w/o DD (Pop Century)
CastleGazerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

I think you already posted this on the theme parks board. There were answers/suggestions there. Just one more consideration to keep in mind- Suppose your flight is delayed and gets in significantly later than scheduled?

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
CastleGazerMom
Mouseketeer

I did post earlier - more to look for reveal ideas - - this post in the Resort section was more for info / opinions on check in plans.

Very true, the plane could be delayed. Fingers crossed that snow doesn't slow us down! But I figured since the party goes to midnight, we should be able to make it.
Jun 96 - 25th WDW Anni (off prop) Nov 99 - Christmas (off prop) Oct 04 - Halloween (Pop Century) Nov 05 - With Gram (All Star Movies) Dec 08 - New Years Eve (Pop Century) Nov 12 - First Trip w/o DD (Pop Century)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Paigesmom2013
Mouseketeer

Yay, I'm originally from the Cleveland area too!

Now about your plan...keep in mind I've never been to the MNSSHP, but your timeline sounds a little tight. First, you don't know if your plane will arrive to MCO later than expected. Also, the rental car line could be long, even if someone gets the car and someone else gets the bags...

I'd get the car and go straight to MK. That's Halloween night so I bet MK will be packed. (And can't people with party tickets start using the park as early as 4pm?) I understand wanting to check in to the hotel first, but if check-in is slow, you'll waste precious park time. In any case, I would do online check in for the hotel before you go. Good luck!!
Paigesmom2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
patty57
DIS Veteran

You may or may not make it to the party by 7:00 pm. There are so many variables when flying...will the plane leave on time? After landing, will you pull right up to the gate, or wait? How long to get the luggage? How long to get the rental car? Traffic to the resort?
I would try to have the mindset that you will get to the party, but it could be later than 7:00 pm. I'm sorry, I don't really have any suggestions or tips to help you...wish I did. Just try and relax and know that you will get there.
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
CastleGazerMom
Mouseketeer

Yeah, I kinda figured that if we shoot for 7pm but get there before 9pm I would be a happy camper.

Its more just that its a 15th Anniversary/Halloween treat. So many variables from Cleve airport to MNSSHP - hoping Disney magic is on my side that day!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleGazerMom View Post
hoping Disney magic is on my side that day!
I hope it is too!
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
wysteria
Mouseketeer

Just a question and I don't know if this will work, but can't you just have your bags ride the Magical Express and get delivered to your room? We haven't flown in forever (drive the 10 hours now), but when me and my husband did fly we never even saw our bags til they appeared in our hotel room after we checked them in at our hometown airport.

So you would hop off the plane, go directly to your rental car and drive to the park to the party without having to worry about baggage?
wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Based on the info you provided, I don't see a reason to stop at Pop first. Unless you want to activate a dining plan you want to use that night, there would be no other reason and IMO it would be a waste of time, because I think you will be running late anyway.

I doubt you will make it there before 7pm. If you land on time, get off the plane fairly quickly, grab your bags while someone else in your party gets the car (or vice versa), that will help on time. About a 20-30 minute drive to MK plus parking/transfer time. I would expect a sold out MNSSHP which means MK will be fairly crowded, which means parking in the back. However, I don't think the ferry or monorail would be too packed since most people go in before 7pm.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So you would hop off the plane, go directly to your rental car and drive to the park to the party without having to worry about baggage?
The only down side to this is that they wouldn't yet have their parking pass and would have to pay to park at the TTC.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
wysteria
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
The only down side to this is that they wouldn't yet have their parking pass and would have to pay to park at the TTC.
Couldn't they park at the Contemporary and walk over? I mean they could even make dinner reservations at The Wave or something since they are into the first night of their stay. Of course that is sort of like cheating i guess.
wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Carriemel
Emma Clare's Mommy

In addition to all that's previously mentioned, do remember that the party admission begins at 4pm...soooo, the OP would be missing out on a lot of party time by not arriving until as late as she would. Not at all worth the stress and aggravation. You're paying a TON of moolah for those tickets to the party. You, I'm sure, want your money's worth. To me, it's not at all worth it.

Hakuna Matata!
Carriemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

We have tickets to MNSSHP on our first night and I was worried that our 1 PM flight arrival time would be too tight to check-in, get DD(9) into her costume and get to MK. You've got us beat.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

OP, you seem determined to go to the party that night no matter what. I agree with most of the PPs- you're going to be late. Proabably very late.
Airlines and ATC being what they are, the later in the day you fly, the greater the chance that your flight will be delayed in arriving. Late day flights are almost guaranteed to be delayed somewhat.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that you'll make it into the party by 7. Certainly not if you go to Pop first. Arrive at 6. Make the trek to the car rental, get your car and collect your baggage (by splitting up) by 6:30. Drive to WDW by 7. Pay for parking, find a place to park, catch a tram (probably from a back parking lot), get to the TTC, catch a monorail (if it's running) or a boat to MK. Get through security and the turnstiles and actually enter the park -probably close to 8. You haven't eaten yet. The place is packed and most of the guests have been there since closer to 4 pm. So you've already lost half of your potential party time.

I know the tickets are expensive. What would be the cost of changing your flight to an earlier one? Is that even possible? If not, and you're happy to spend that money on tickets for less than 4 hours of party time, then who am I to judge? Enjoy yourselves.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
ShirikiUtundu
Mouseketeer

What would I do? I would buy tickets to the Nov. 1 party. On 10/31 I would do DTD or resort hopping for Halloween festivities. Or maybe nothing but dinner and swimming/rest.

Even if every single thing goes smoothly you will not make it there by 7. I know you said you don't mind, but these tickets are expensive, and more importantly not refundable.
ShirikiUtundu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: