Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
ness0905
Mouseketeer

Deluxe vs. longer stay please help!

OK i have dd6 and ds3 we have gone every year for last 3 years always value about 5 nights. Me and dh are going alone this year for ten year anniv. For 10 days....so next year when we take kids back want to do something special do we spend money and stay for 7 or 8 nights or book yc for 5 nights and bring mom to help with cost. I know this may be a little early to plan but want to book bounce back offer while we are there and we will be going in mid September this year and next and want to do mnsshp next year please help!
ness0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
snyderla
DVC Lori
DH loved that popcorn light so much
I wish I was sitting in a rocking chair in Frontierland

If you had asked me several years ago, before I stayed at YC, I would have said stay longer. But after 26 trips to WDW and a stay at the YC (complimentary upgrade from POFQ!) I say splurge and stay at YC. UNLESS your family will miss the convenience of having a food court.

June1975 FW; July1995 FW cabins;Aug'97 POFQ;NYE '98-99; Feb'01POFQ(&day trip a week later);Oct'01CBR (1 nt at ASMo);07/02 AKL ; Oct.'03 OKW; Easter'04 Pop/(2nd trip)POFQ;Oct.'04 ASMu&Sp&(2trips) POR Sept'05 OKW& Pop&Dec'05 Swan&SSR home;Aug.'06 BWV, OKW& VWL 15 day trip! BCV Aug'07 with grandkids;Mousefest '07 OKW&CSR;CSR&OKW Oct'08 Yacht Club&BWV Dec.'09;Poly&SSR Oct.'10 ;Mar'11 AKV w/grandkids;Aug'11 AKV/SSR;Dec'12 OKW&BLT;Feb'13 OKW; Oct'13 SSR THV Oct.'14 VGC in DL; Aug'15 VGF
snyderla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

I'd take the longer stay, every time.

You can slow down your park visits a little, repeat rides/attractions as desired, enjoy leisurely dinners, spend time in the pool, etc, because of the extra time. The nicer room/resort atmosphere at YC will seem like an upgrade to you, perhaps (although if you need to share the room with an additional adult, it probably won't seem as luxurious) - but I can almost guarantee that two under-10-yr-old kids won't know the difference, and might actually prefer the atmosphere at a value/mod level resort.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderla View Post
If you had asked me several years ago, before I stayed at YC, I would have said stay longer. But after 26 trips to WDW and a stay at the YC (complimentary upgrade from POFQ!) I say splurge and stay at YC. UNLESS your family will miss the convenience of having a food court.
Even then you can wander over to the swan and dolphin and pick up some good food. DVC discounts too!

I love the boardwalk area. I would splurge.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
catra121
DIS Veteran

Longer stay would be my choice (and has been) every time. Next year I am going to look into renting DVC points and trying to keep it affordable that way...but absolutely would go with the longer stay if I had to choose.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I would go deluxe resort for fewer days. Under no circumstance would I share a room with a third adult to help with the costs. If that's necessary, I would adjust the resort or length of stay.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

I'd opt for the longer stay. Longer stays mean getting to do more of what I want to do. While the extra amenities at the deluxes are nice, I don't think it's worth it if it means cutting my vacation short. i would choose the experience you feel youe family will enjoy most. It boils down to extra amenities for a shorter stay and not doing as much or longer stay with not as many amenities but getting to do more. You have to ask yourself if the amenities and nicer hotel outweigh two or three extra days of fun at WDW. For me, the extra time is more valuable.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

I would opt for a longer stay. We have not been back since 2009 and it is killing me (we chose other vacations) but we always stay at least 8 days. Next time I think we will try to do a longer trip because it will have been at least 5 years and it will be like the first time again..
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream

usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
saskdw
DIS Veteran

We come from way too far away to stay at WDW for only 5 nights. All our trips are in the 10-14 night area.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
ness0905
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone I think I am going to go with longer stay and save Epcot area until kids are a little older so they can have more freedom this is not something we can do over and over so i think this is best for next year.
ness0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

My choice would be deluxe for a shorter stay.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Fratthouse
Mouseketeer

I know everyone's different, but here's my thoughts - We've been fortunate to be able to stay at a few deluxe resorts (CR, GF, and Poly) when my husband goes for work, but we only get to stay for 4-5 days each trip. I've found that when the trips are shorter, I want to spend LESS TIME relaxing at the resort and MORE TIME in the parks. The resort becomes more or less a place just to sleep. So I have hardly gotten to experience the resorts to their fullest. I imagine if I stayed longer, I would take the time to relax by the pool, drink coffee on the balcony of my room, or take in the sights of the resort. But on a short trip, it's hard to spend any of my limited time away from the parks. So I would vote for a longer stay, because when I have a short stay, I don't want to spend much of it at the resort, anyway. Of course, that's my experience, and this may or may not be the case for your family depending on how you spend your time on vacation

Someone did mention renting DVC points, which in my experience, is a very affordable way to stay at a deluxe resort for a very reasonable price (depending on what type of room you need and when you go.) We are going this December and are staying at AKL for less than what we would pay at the Value resorts!

Happy anniversary and I hope you have a great trip!

Grand Floridian 2009
Contemporary 2010
Poly 2012
Contemporary 2013 CL
Animal Kingdom Villas 2013
Off-site July 2014
Boardwalk CL Sept 2014
Animal Kingdom Villas Nov 2014
Fratthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness0905 View Post
OK i have dd6 and ds3 we have gone every year for last 3 years always value about 5 nights. Me and dh are going alone this year for ten year anniv. For 10 days....so next year when we take kids back want to do something special do we spend money and stay for 7 or 8 nights or book yc for 5 nights and bring mom to help with cost. I know this may be a little early to plan but want to book bounce back offer while we are there and we will be going in mid September this year and next and want to do mnsshp next year please help!
For a family vacation I would go with the longer stay. You'll make more memories in the parks and around than you will in your room. Why not extend the time vs. luxury. I would always choose more time with the family.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

I'll alway pick longer stay or come more often. Yes, the resorts are amazing but not the reason we got there. Good luck making a decision.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I would pick a longer stay.

What about renting points for a studio at BCV? It would cost a little less than a mod abd you still get SAB.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: