Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #91
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyCruisinSusan
Has auto-tipping always been a part of DCL? I sure don't remember having tips automatically added in but I could have been having such a grand time that I've forgotten it. It was 9 years ago . I do remember putting cash into envelopes and handing them out to our amazing servers.

I'm excited after reading this thread that I can just let the tips be placed on my account and paid off with my CC. We didn't have charging priviledges on prior cruises, we just made payments thru-out the cruise.

As for the OPs husband secretary, she sounds like a dreadfully unhappy human specimen.
No. It only started in the last 3 or 4 years or so. I've heard different rumors for reasons and its anyone's guess why its done automatically now. Everything from guest convenience to the Magics (prob the Wonders also. The Dream and Fantasy weren't built yet)crew not being tipped when she was in the Med. Take your pick as a reason.

You can still put cash into the envelopes. You just have to tell GS to take the auto tip off your account so you don't tip twice.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #92
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Have they added the tips to all the DCL ships now or just the new ones?
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #93
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahuffy View Post
Have they added the tips to all the DCL ships now or just the new ones?
All ships have the auto-gratuity system.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #94
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
All ships have the auto-gratuity system.
Thank you. We haven't been on a cruise since our EBRepo in '08. And did I read correctly that it works out to be $12 per person/cruiser or CM, per day?
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #95
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Thank you. We haven't been on a cruise since our EBRepo in '08. And did I read correctly that it works out to be $12 per person/cruiser or CM, per day?
It is $12 pp per day for tips. This started on the Med cruises a few years ago due to past experience of a large number of cruisers on those itineraries not tipping. It was extended to the rest of the ships after that summer.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #96
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
$12.00 per guest (in the room) per day. The $12.00 breaks out to $4.00 per guest per day to your room host; $4.00 per guest per day to your server; $3.00 per guest per day to your asst server; and $1.00 per guest per day to your head server.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #97
KyCruisinSusan
Proud DVC/AKV Owner

$336 isn't to bad for the EBPC sailing then, and if we split it even it's only $168 each. I will definetly bring extra cash for extra tipping. How much do you tip the porters when you hand over your luggage? I think it used to be $1 or 2 per bag. Is that still the going rate or has inflation jacked that up?

July 03 Wonder 3 Day, BB, MK;
Nov 04 AS Sports 4 Days/ Eastern Magic;
Dec 05 PopCentury;Oct 07 Adult Only PopCentury;
Dec 08 Christmas Port Orleans Riverside
Dec 10 AKV Kidani and BLT Adult Only
July 12 Sweet 16 Boardwalk Girls Only Trip
KyCruisinSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #98
DL1957
DIS Veteran

CraftyMom
It looks like your DH assistant should have been on her cruise by now. I was wondering if you heard anything from her and if she did eliminate the tips.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #99
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

OP, You got me to remembering our family cruise and the lady at the next table over during the first night's dinner. She leans over to me to ask me about tipping. She had 2 kids, another lady, and herself at a 4-top. I informed her of the normal expected tipping and when it is normally given. She had a horrified look on her face, started talking with the other lady, counting with her fingers, and then they all got up and left the dining room. They did not return for any other dinners nor for the final morning's breakfast.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #100
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

My initial reaction to this story was "what kind of husband 'summons' his wife to his office without telling her why and sets her up to have to help this woman?" (who he must know is a PITA and who you got roped into helping last time to no avail). I'd tell my husband in no uncertain terms to never call me into his office unless I know exactly what it is for and to never offer my services to anyone without discussing with me first. How rude.

And, on the topic, it is rude to not tip unless you had serious issues and even then, discussion with a manager and a less than 100% tip would be my course of action. This woman sound slike a real jerk.

I would simply tell her that you have a great TA yu use who helps answer all these questions and would she like the phone#? Otherwise, refer her to the Disboards.

Yikes!
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #101
FairyGrandmother
Mouseketeer

Red face Tips

On my first (not Disney) I was a complete newbee and did not know that tips were expected, it was a good thing that there was enough money left in my bank account to cover my account (tips had been added to my OBA). cruise. My last cruise was on Carnival's Magic and the service was adaquate, there were no problems but I always felt like I was putting them out is I asked for anything. Our dinner servers were not particulary friendly, they did not go out of their way to offer suggestions or for that matter even speak to us beone the that needed to take our orders. I certenly did not feel like I could ask for any extra or second helpings.

My first Disney cruise was on the Magic and we gladly paid our tips and more for the service we received. I have never had bad service on Disney or any other cruise line for that matter that being said my family and I have always been teated rolyally on Disney. We will be borarding the Wonder on September 2 for our 6th Disney cruise, this time to Alaska To my knowledge I have not prepaid my gratriteis. My plan is to pay them with my Disney reward card. I use my Disney Visa for almost everything and that gives me a little extra spending money.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: