Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #61
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Wow! This woman sounds like a real piece of work! I agree with the other posters that you should just quit giving in to this woman's demands for vacation advice.

I bet she'll have a hard time refusing to tip the room service attendant! My co-worker just got back from a Norweigan Cruise Line cruise and she said that the room service attendant walked right INTO her room, and stood there waiting for his tip. She said he was NOT gonna leave until she tipped him! And one time she says it was a different guy and he wasn't happy with the $2 she gave him and so he STAYED in the doorway asking if there was more he could do for her to make her meal extra special. She said the pressure to tip more was unreal!

I'm planning on handing the room service waiter $5 before he even hands me the tray just to avoid the uncomfortableness of his "asking" for a tip with his body language!
Room service CMs on DCL don't operate like that. In many cases, they deliver the tray and are out the door before you can even get to your tipping money.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #62
TheRealDrDisney
Mouseketeer

OP - your husband, who should put you first in all things, is trivializing your feelings and your concerns.

That's a lot bigger problem than anything else you've mentioned - and deserves your attention.

Talk to him, make him aware, and hopefully he will treat you better in the future.
TheRealDrDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #63
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I got it! Tell the secretary to rip the tickets up when she gets them delivered to her! That will fix those servers!

Just a note for new cruisers, if she rips them up the tips cannot be removed!!!!!:rotfl 2:

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #64
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

I think the OP should recommend checking out a wonderful information site called DISboards and make sure she looks at all threads concerning tipping. I'm sure that will set her straight.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #65
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

There are those who will complain no matter what. Seems this is the case. And we tend to be helpful but we are not listen to.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #66
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Please do NOT send her to the Disboards!!!! We don't need that kind of negative energy here!

I feel sorry for the stateroom and dining stewards. I wish they could be warned - I feel like I know a crime is going to happen and can't stop it!! Maybe you could post on her cruise meet and have someone from there warn them so they will give her the minimum amount of expected service.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #67
chateau
DIS Veteran

We haven't shown up for several meals (when the kids become restless and it'd just be a battle the whole meal). I would've liked to say thank you, for the times we were served, but often that hasn't happened.

I've always wondered about the voucher/automatic tip question. I knew we were charged for the tips, but wondered the point of the vouchers. Glad I finally took the time to read a thread on it.

Our staff on DCL has always gone so far above and beyond that I would've liked to tip more. I wonder if we can add it to the account, though not present?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #68
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
We haven't shown up for several meals (when the kids become restless and it'd just be a battle the whole meal). I would've liked to say thank you, for the times we were served, but often that hasn't happened.

I've always wondered about the voucher/automatic tip question. I knew we were charged for the tips, but wondered the point of the vouchers. Glad I finally took the time to read a thread on it.

Our staff on DCL has always gone so far above and beyond that I would've liked to tip more. I wonder if we can add it to the account, though not present?
You can adjust the tips (up or down) at Guest Services. I'm not sure if it must be done before the vouchers actually appear in your room or not.

The servers/room host will get your tips even if you are unable to give them the vouchers (coupons).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #69
Madzac
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You can adjust the tips (up or down) at Guest Services. I'm not sure if it must be done before the vouchers actually appear in your room or not.

The servers/room host will get your tips even if you are unable to give them the vouchers (coupons).
Our recent cruise we didnt manage to get to guest services until the vouchers had already been printed. We didnt have enough cash for what we wanted to add, so we just had them increase the amounts for us and charge to our onboard account. I had prepaid the gratuities before we left. Anyway, they gave us something to fill out were you could increase or decrease the amounts and then they printed us new vouchers on the spot and told us to rip up the ones in our cabin.
Previous trips: WDW:CBR 3/93, ASMo 5/99, POFQ 5/06, WL 5/09, windsor hills 10/12. DL: Offsite 2/07, 3/10. DCL Dream 4 night bahamas 6/13 (trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131854)... next up Magic 7 night Western 3/2015
Madzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #70
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
I think the OP should recommend checking out a wonderful information site called DISboards and make sure she looks at all threads concerning tipping. I'm sure that will set her straight.
Invite a bully to my playground? No, no, no! The Dis does not exist.

Besides, she doesn't do internet or tv. I think its brain rot or something. I was only half paying attention to that conversation.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #71
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Gratuities are automatically added to your onboard account, unless you pre-pay them. "Pre-paid" gratuities means that the amount was charged and paid for as part of your cruise fare. Otherwise, the charge will happen at the end of the cruise, and is settled (paid for) with all your other onboard charges.

If you wish to tip in cash only, you must go to Guest Services and have the tips removed from your account. If you wish to tip additionally to the automatic gratuities ($12.00 per guest per day), you can either go to Guest Services to adjust the amounts charged, or just put cash in the envelope with the tip coupon.

Anyone can pre-pay, if they wish, just call DCL and do it.
Ah I missed that in between my two cruise as of 4/2012 they started to add them to your account. I pre-paid them on my 12/2012 cruise, one less thing to worry about.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #72
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Thumbs up ** AFTER cArEfUlL CONSIDERATION.... **

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
Please do NOT send her to the Disboards!!!! We don't need that kind of negative energy here!

I feel sorry for the stateroom and dining stewards. I wish they could be warned - I feel like I know a crime is going to happen and can't stop it!! Maybe you could post on her cruise meet and have someone from there warn them so they will give her the minimum amount of expected service.

(cue the bicycle music from the movie, "The Wizard of Oz")-

and
who was seen RIDING the bike???? REMEMBER?? It was the.....

ANYWHO -
I agree as well....
** Please do not send her to the DISboards **

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
Invite a bully to my playground? No, no, no! The Dis does not exist.

Besides, she doesn't do internet or tv. I think its brain rot or something. I was only half paying attention to that conversation.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!
Just click you heels 3 times and say, "The DIS Don't exist....The DIS don't exist...."

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #73
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
nooooo....is that true???
This is discussed a lot on Cruise Critic. There have been pictures posted there of the "list" tacked up on a bulletin board in the crew area (I have never personally tried to verify the context of this by asking a crew member though as I really couldn't care less). I also wouldn't assert that it changes the way they serve you...we always stick with the auto-grats and on Carnival I've never felt much cause to want to tip extra.

Oh, and BTW, on Carnival there are no envelopes or vouchers, so I imagine at some point the crew is given some sort of accounting of which passengers paid or didn't pay gratuities. I have also read discussions about whether or not they get to keep extra tips that are added on to auto-grats at guest services since a portion of the tips are apparently pooled.

Last edited by ronandannette; 07-20-2013 at 07:59 AM.
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #74
Silstone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post

sounds like a fun woman....

to answer your question- i've never seen a server, stateroom host, etc ask for a tip- then again that's cause everyone hands over the envelopes with at least a tip ticket in it....it'll be real fun to know what happens the last morning if they go to their main dining room for breakfast!!!

you know what i hope happens to this woman who's already decided she's "not going to tip"? i hope she doesn't notice the tip expense on her room bill until she's walked off the ship....keep us posted...
That will be hilarious!!!! Yes!! Keep us posted!!!
Silstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #75
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Honestly I think it's sad that someone wouldn't want to pay a server or room host for their work. Even if they don't have a sparkling personality, they did have to set your table, take your order and give you the food, and the room host has to turn down beds and clean and make towel animals!
The Disney crew are some of the hardest working people I have ever met! If I had to work 12 hours a day, I don't know if I could even act as cheery as most of them do.
It never has even occurred to me that you could remove the automatically added tip. If you can remove it, then there's not much point of there being a set amount.
This makes me feel so bad for some employees now

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: