Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #46
bzkds
Mouseketeer

Sorry, not to hijack the thread... but I added extra gratuities to our usual amounts at Guest services (instead of putting cash in the individual envelopes). Do the servers/hosts get a list of who paid how much? How do they even know I paid extra if they just get an total tip amount on their paycheck?
next up: Disney Wonder 10/4/2015
bzkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

I have friends like this, and it's time to get her a really good travel agent and be done with it. but I really like the advice of putting your thoughts in writing for her!

as everyone said, sadly, the servers won't probably notice until they add up what they made that cruise and it's less than normal. and sadly again, one person not tipping may not even make them blink because I have a suspicion this happens frequently.

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #48
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Wait, I have it!!!!!

Have your husband email her the info!!!! Since he "knows her tastes so much better than you do", write up the email and send it from him. (With his knowledge, of course!!!) Oh, and be sure to have him include a suggested tip.

She'll have a choice: say that her boss didn't give her the info or decide to have a great time... it's win-win.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #49
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Wait, I have it!!!!!

Have your husband email her the info!!!! Since he "knows her tastes so much better than you do", write up the email and send it from him. (With his knowledge, of course!!!) Oh, and be sure to have him include a suggested tip.

She'll have a choice: say that her boss didn't give her the info or decide to have a great time... it's win-win.

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #50
thepops
DIS Veteran

I know you're centered around the servers tips here, but if she's not tipping anyone, then I wonder what her bags are going to look like when they get to her room when she doesn't tip the porters at the port? Gee ,,, they came in that way....
Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #51
angela1044
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear she is such a pain in the butt. I find it interesting that she had such a horrible trip to WDW and yet she chose DCL for a cruise.

I'm sure if the company she works for gives bonuses she keeps it.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #52
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
Yes, he works for a well known insurance company that also has a large financial division. It is difficult to get fired from there. Once you're in, you're in.
That's too bad. I used to know some secretaries like that, and they really just are miserable no matter what you do and how much you do for them. I'd chalk it up to her having personal problems, and stay away from her as much as I can.

I know your DH thinks its funny, but maybe tell him that you don't want her talking bad about you guys behind his back at work so you'd rather just not get involved with his secretary's personal life (ie vacations). It's just so unclassy to not tip, especially when it's someone's wages.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #53
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Oh how i wish i was a fly on the wall on her cruise
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #54
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For starters, realize that all you can do is give her advice. You can't make her take it, and you bear no responsiblity for her choice not to follow it.

What I would do, is sit at my computer, and write out a list of all the tips I wanted to give. (Actually, I've done that time and time again for coworkers.) Tell her that you wanted to get your thoughts organized, and to make it easy for her to remember your tips. Include the info you've given her on gratuities. And save it on your computer.

Then give it to her, and forget it.

When she gets back and complains, your husband can tell her to check the sheets; the info was there.
You took the words right out of my mouth...

Alternatively, since she has shown a distinct lack of interest in following your recommendations, notwithstanding that she was the one who asked for them, just refuse to provide her with any more assistance. If she has Disney related questions, send her the link to the Disboards and she can ask her questions here - I'm sure she'll "love" the responses she gets.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepops View Post
I know you're centered around the servers tips here, but if she's not tipping anyone, then I wonder what her bags are going to look like when they get to her room when she doesn't tip the porters at the port? Gee ,,, they came in that way....
And will have deserved it.

I'd love to hear the full argument on why someone paid below our minimum wage doesn't deserve a tip.

The OP is in a quandary. She needs to have the peace kept between her husband and this employee, as well as the peace at home. Her husband is totally in line with not pushing the issue with his asst.

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #56
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth...

Alternatively, since she has shown a distinct lack of interest in following your recommendations, notwithstanding that she was the one who asked for them, just refuse to provide her with any more assistance. If she has Disney related questions, send her the link to the Disboards and she can ask her questions here - I'm sure she'll "love" the responses she gets.
"I'm sorry, I felt like you thought I mislead you last time and I felt really bad about that. I don't want to be put in the situation of feeling responsible for your vacation. I hear there is a lot of advice out on the internet. Have a great time!"

I think sometimes that we who love Disney love to talk about it so much that we talk about it even when it isn't in our best interests.

As for tipping, she won't be the first or the last to stiff her servers. It isn't your problem.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #57
everydaymathchick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

"I'm sorry, I felt like you thought I mislead you last time and I felt really bad about that. I don't want to be put in the situation of feeling responsible for your vacation. I hear there is a lot of advice out on the internet. Have a great time!"

I think sometimes that we who love Disney love to talk about it so much that we talk about it even when it isn't in our best interests.

As for tipping, she won't be the first or the last to stiff her servers. It isn't your problem.
I really like that suggested response. If she won't take your advice & then blames you for her poor time of it, stop giving advice but do so in a polite manner. Will be interested to know if you hear how her cruise went.
My DISigns Thread *Index of DISigns in Post #1!
1988 - Offsite - Family Vacation - Beginning of LOVE of WDW
Spring 2000 - ASMu - Junior Year Band Trip
January 2009 - ASMu - DSis, DBIL, DNce, DNw, and DSis' In-Laws
May 2009 -Pop Century - "Swine Break" Spontaneous Trip with DSis & Kids
November 2010 - ASMu (family suite) - DSis, DBIL, DNce, & DNw
June 2011 - POR - Adult Trip with friend
December 2011 - Pop - Adult Trip with friend
November 2012 - Disney Dream & Wyndham Bonnet Creek - DSis, DBIL, DNce & DNw
March 2013 - Pop Century - Sisters Trip for my 30th birthday
November 2014- Disney Fantasy - DSis, DBIL, DNce, DNw, & Friends!
everydaymathchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #58
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

That's going to be her problem and not anybody else's. It wouldn't occur to me to be concerned about how the crew will react to the fact that she won't be giving them tips, because it's her choice to behave that way. If they're rude to her, then you're afraid she will blame you for it? That's what she is setting herself up for.

Personally I don't think I would have explained to her that she can remove the tips that will be charged to her shipboard account...let her figure that one out on her own. I think I'd stop giving her advice too, as soon as it became obvious that she had no intention of taking any of it and said so, and then had the colossal nerve to blame you for her failure to take your advice. (and you might want to tell your husband to quit offering you to her as a free personal travel planner. Maybe in nicer terms than that if you want.)

By the way - the vouchers are not the tip. The crew gets their tips paid into their accounts electronically, just the way you paid them to DCL. So they get paid even if you don't actually hand them the voucher.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 07-19-2013 at 01:35 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #59
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wait, I have it!!!!!

I think this is a great idea!
I know it's hard to ignore such nasty people (and she sounds like a pill) but your husband may have the right attitude it letting her barbs roll off--a turning point in my own life was when I decided to stop letting people like that bother me so much.

Finally, I'd suggest you conceal your identity on here as much as possible. She might be mean but she also might be able to tell who you are and that's when her mean-ness could cause trouble for you or your husband.

Best of luck with this!

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Wow! This woman sounds like a real piece of work! I agree with the other posters that you should just quit giving in to this woman's demands for vacation advice.

I bet she'll have a hard time refusing to tip the room service attendant! My co-worker just got back from a Norweigan Cruise Line cruise and she said that the room service attendant walked right INTO her room, and stood there waiting for his tip. She said he was NOT gonna leave until she tipped him! And one time she says it was a different guy and he wasn't happy with the $2 she gave him and so he STAYED in the doorway asking if there was more he could do for her to make her meal extra special. She said the pressure to tip more was unreal!

I'm planning on handing the room service waiter $5 before he even hands me the tray just to avoid the uncomfortableness of his "asking" for a tip with his body language!

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: