Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #31
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
Well, if she makes an excuse for giving you grief after her cruise, I suggest you tell her that she is so very lucky that your husband pays her enough that she can afford a Disney cruise in the first place and that you think it is a poor reflection on her moral character that she would deliberately stiff hard working people like the Disney CMs, particularly with the generous salary you know she gets.

It's a poor judge of character who ticks off their boss' wife!

Even with the knowledge that she isn't HIS secretary, the fact that she works, and gets paid for her work, but doesn't want to go along with something that is normal for a cruise, just talks about who she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
He says I get too uptight about stuff. He doesn't let stuff bother him and never takes her seriously, so he thinks its funny when she irritates me. ...

My husband wouldn't have lasted long (as my husband) if he behaved that way towards me. You're a stronger person than I am.

DH notices she acts different when I'm around, almost like there is a competition for his attention? I think she goes out of her way to show him I'm wrong and she knows best. She doesn't do it to the other people in the office that I've asked. I can deal with it, especially when I can vent about it online. He thinks its funny and teases me about it if I let him know I'm bothered.
Oh....ew ew ew ew. She acts different around you? Ew ew ew ew.

And that last line...again...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

To the orignal poster, maybe the CMs will melt heart of ice and may she will want to tip. Because on a cruise you get to know the CMs better than at the parks.

For the tips. I thought only the tips were added automatically for nonUS people? For US people I thought it was prepaid or cash in the envelope? I've only been on 2 shorty cruises.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
To the orignal poster, maybe the CMs will melt heart of ice and may she will want to tip. Because on a cruise you get to know the CMs better than at the parks.

For the tips. I thought only the tips were added automatically for nonUS people? For US people I thought it was prepaid or cash in the envelope? I've only been on 2 shorty cruises.
Gratuities are automatically added to your onboard account, unless you pre-pay them. "Pre-paid" gratuities means that the amount was charged and paid for as part of your cruise fare. Otherwise, the charge will happen at the end of the cruise, and is settled (paid for) with all your other onboard charges.

If you wish to tip in cash only, you must go to Guest Services and have the tips removed from your account. If you wish to tip additionally to the automatic gratuities ($12.00 per guest per day), you can either go to Guest Services to adjust the amounts charged, or just put cash in the envelope with the tip coupon.

Anyone can pre-pay, if they wish, just call DCL and do it.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #34
Aeryn76
Mouseketeer

Glad to learn how the tipping thing works. And going back to that awful lady, I have work retail since high school (I'm 37 now). I now work in a pharmacy but it is also retail. I have come across people like that a lot I hate to say. Some people just love to be unhappy and cranky. You can't make them happy no matter what. So if she wants to "waste" her money and the complain about it later that is her deal. I'm just sorry the OP has to deal with her.
Aeryn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #35
MND
DIS Veteran

Why don't you tell your husband to fire this witch??? She sounds like she is the type of person that would suck the life of someone. Off she goes. Find someone else.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #36
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

For starters, realize that all you can do is give her advice. You can't make her take it, and you bear no responsiblity for her choice not to follow it.

What I would do, is sit at my computer, and write out a list of all the tips I wanted to give. (Actually, I've done that time and time again for coworkers.) Tell her that you wanted to get your thoughts organized, and to make it easy for her to remember your tips. Include the info you've given her on gratuities. And save it on your computer.

Then give it to her, and forget it.

When she gets back and complains, your husband can tell her to check the sheets; the info was there.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #37
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
For starters, realize that all you can do is give her advice. You can't make her take it, and you bear no responsiblity for her choice not to follow it.

What I would do, is sit at my computer, and write out a list of all the tips I wanted to give. (Actually, I've done that time and time again for coworkers.) Tell her that you wanted to get your thoughts organized, and to make it easy for her to remember your tips. Include the info you've given her on gratuities. And save it on your computer.

Then give it to her, and forget it.

When she gets back and complains, your husband can tell her to check the sheets; the info was there.
correct...and to save everyone the headache, especially her potential waiters and stateroom host, give her good advice- tell her Disney Cruises are garbage and she should sail Carnival!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #38
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
correct...and to save everyone the headache, especially her potential waiters and stateroom host, give her good advice- tell her Disney Cruises are garbage and she should sail Carnival!!!
Yes! And on Carnival the crew gets a list of who's cancelled auto-grats...(insert foreboding music here)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Does your husband work for a law/accounting/finance firm where he shares a secretary and the company keeps these horrible secretaries around forever for fear of lawsuits? It just sounds like so many secretaries I used to know
Yes, he works for a well known insurance company that also has a large financial division. It is difficult to get fired from there. Once you're in, you're in.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #40
over50visits
DIS Veteran

I find that people tend to have the vacation experience they expect even before they do it. No doubt she will not have a good time! I'm honestly sorry for those who don't have a wonderful cruise despite any minor problems, perceived or real.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

On the Med cruises this summer, the tips are charged to your stateroom account automatically and they deliver an update of your stateroom account and a perforated sheet of paper to your stateroom along with the envelopes a few nights before the last night. We went ahead and separated the slips and put them in the envelopes so they would be ready for the last night and then added whatever extra cash we wanted to include.

We met a wonderful family who was new to cruising and she asked me about how to handle the tipping because they weren't sure what to do with the envelopes, etc., and she also wanted to know about extra tipping. I shared with her what we do and how we decide if we are including extra or not, and also how we handle passing out the ones in the dining room. If we aren't giving extra cash, we may just leave it on the table if we haven't been able to personally hand it to our serving team, but if there is extra cash, we make sure to hand it to them so it doesn't get misdirected. We never go to breakfast on the last day in the MDR and we do let them know the night before to not expect us.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #42
nhgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
He says I get too uptight about stuff. He doesn't let stuff bother him and never takes her seriously, so he thinks its funny when she irritates me. Unfortunately I can't ignore her forever since I occasionally need to stop by every once in a while.

He doesn't pay her salary, the company they work for does. He interviewed her and approved her but all hiring/firing has to go through HR. He can't just say, "She bothers my wife, get rid of her." There has to be a just cause for HR to fire her. It is a very big well-known company with a lot of politics and red tape. She actually does a really good job keeping his crazy schedule straight, making sure he is where he needs to be, keeping him organized, doing all of his reports, etc. She is a wonderful secretary, just a little too opinionated if you ask me. She worked there for almost a year before I met her. DH notices she acts different when I'm around, almost like there is a competition for his attention? I think she goes out of her way to show him I'm wrong and she knows best. She doesn't do it to the other people in the office that I've asked. I can deal with it, especially when I can vent about it online. He thinks its funny and teases me about it if I let him know I'm bothered.

I know! What was I thinking?
My MIL is just like this woman. Unfortunately I have to deal with it. You are lucky, you don't have to. If I were you I would have nothing to do with this woman.
nhgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
whitfive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My husband texted me today and asked if I could stop at his office on my way home from class. I replied, "Sure, what's up?" Then he tells me his secretary is going on a Disney cruise and has some questions. Oh dear! Here we go. Why does this lady do this to me? She asked me for tons of info when her family went to WDW. It was everyone's first trip and I went out of my way to answer her questions, explain the dining plan, all the different packages vs. ala carte pricing of tickets/rooms, etc. She ended up buying the DDP and they stayed at AKL. I knew she would have issues with AKL being "out of the way" because she's just that type of person. Guess what? That was her first complaint when they got back. Why didn't I warn her that AKL was so far away? Well, I did but she doesn't remember me warning her. She conveniently forgets things when she is wrong. They never made any ADR's because they didn't want to have their vacation scheduled. They ended up paying out of pocket for counter service meals because the sit-downs had no availability. They didn't even ask if they could use their sit-down credits at the quick service locations. I think they could have, but not 100% on that. Anyway, they ignored most of the advice I gave them. Why ask for my advice if you're going to act like my advice is not good enough for you? They came back and said the trip was horrible. Since they paid out of pocket for most of their meals, never used their snack credits either. They went to the parks at the most crowded times and refused to do FastPass because they didn't want to be tied down to riding it at a particular time. Instead they just waited in lines for 60+ minutes? Alright, your way is better I guess? She came back and kept telling my husband how much I was wasting our money and that he should insist we go somewhere else instead of Disney places for vacation. I was furious when he told me that. He just shrugs her off. He doesn't take her seriously. He never takes anything personal. He just treats her like the lady that keeps him organized and doesn't really care what she says to him. I, however, take her little jabs personally. She knows she can bother me, so I don't know why I ever bother to talk to her.

So I go into the office and she tells me their cruise is in 2 weeks. Well, can't really help you out much with that! After asking a couple preliminary questions I realized she is set in her ways and doesn't care to hear about Palo, Remy, the kids clubs (because she knows her kids would have a horrible time in a nasty daycare). They're flying in the morning of debarkation. Ok, good luck with your flights! Any tip I tried to give her she would come up with a reason why it wouldn't work for her or why my way was wrong. I don't know why I subject myself to this, seriously. Then the subject of money came up and I told her about the onboard cashless system. She said they'd use a credit card. Each family member had a set spending budget and they weren't going a penny over. Don't forget cash for tips. Oh dear...here's where the conversation got tense real quickly. She does not believe in tipping. She is anti tipping because society should not obligate you into giving extra money that is not a direct charge for service. If we are obligated, then "gratuities" should be renamed as "mandatories." Her words, not mine!

Dis-friends, please don't start a debate here about whether we should/shouldn't tip. I told her about the servers, stateroom hosts, etc working for tips and not getting a regular salary. She said it was their stupidity for accepting a job with no paycheck. I tried to change her mind but she just started getting really snarky and rude. I let her know the gratuities are automatically charged to their onboard account and that she would have to go to Guest Services to have them removed. She was more than ok with that. Knowing her, she'll have quite an attitude when she asks for them to be removed too.

So it got me to wondering. What is going to happen when the servers come around on the last night expecting envelopes, cash, or whatever. Do they come out and ask for the tips if you don't hand them over? I seriously want to be a fly on the wall if anyone so much as hints for a gratuity from her. It might be quite the spectacle. Do the crew get upset if they're stiffed? I know I'd get miffed if my salary was counting on it.

After they get back from the cruise I know she'll make up a reason for me to stop in the office where she'll proceed to tell me again how awful her cruise was and that she should have known better for giving Disney her money, followed up with more lectures for me not to waste my husband's money on that evil company.

Again, I don't want to start any debate in regards to anti/pro tipping, I'm just curious how the Cast Members handle those situations when people refuse to give even a cent towards a gratuity?
If she corners you to complain, just say that is why there is not one vacation that is right for everyone. Sorry it wasn't your thing....and walk away! At least you know that you won't have to run into her on your vacation or hear about any more of her horrible vacations with that "evil" compnay. More pixie dust for you right?

ME DH DS 18 DD17 DS 13

WDW:May 2000,Feb 2002,Nov 2003,Dec 2005, Jan 2007,Nov 2007,Feb 2009,Dec 2010,Nov 2011, Sept 2012,May 2013, Dec 2013, March 2014, Sept 2014
DCL: April 2010-Wonder 4 nt. Bahama June 2012-Fantasy 7 nt. Eastern Feb 9 2013-Magic 6 nt.Western Oct 27 2013-Dream 4 nt Bahama Jan. 2, 2014-Dream 3 nt. Bahama March 7, 2014-Magic 3 nt Bahama June 7, 2014-Fantasy 7 nt. Western Oct 1 2014-Wonder 5 nt Double Dip Jun 20, 2015-Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Carnival: Aug 2011-Facination 4 night Bahama
whitfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #44
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Yes! And on Carnival the crew gets a list of who's cancelled auto-grats...(insert foreboding music here)
nooooo....is that true???
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

First, I would STOP giving her advice or recommendations. But, if you are one of those that has to help....... email her.

Put everything in the email so she can't come back and say you didn't tell her. Sounds like she wants to be your husbands best friend instead of you. Sounds like she is wanting to do the one up on you whenever she can.

Truly if they are supposed to be working, they shouldn't be discussing vacation stuff unless in breakroom or at lunch, that's the HR side of me coming out. Your husband should maybe keep his relationship with her at a more professional level and discuss work issues. Also, if she grabs him a coffee or lunch while she is out, he should stop that immedicately.

And then no tips, really.........

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: