Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
sounds like a fun woman....

to answer your question- i've never seen a server, stateroom host, etc ask for a tip- then again that's cause everyone hands over the envelopes with at least a tip ticket in it....it'll be real fun to know what happens the last morning if they go to their main dining room for breakfast!!!

you know what i hope happens to this woman who's already decided she's "not going to tip"? i hope she doesn't notice the tip expense on her room bill until she's walked off the ship....keep us posted...
I like this. I wish OP had not told this woman that tips are auto added.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Maybe you shouldn't have told her the tip would be automatically charged to her account and maybe somehow it would have slipped by her.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do they come out and ask for the tips if you don't hand them over?

That was not our experience, no. Especially since they get the tips anyway, even without the envelope (which basically contains a paper saying "I've tipped you this much").

OP, you need to put this in writing for her and make a copy. It's an interesting thing, that she forgets things when she's wrong, but somehow this doesn't damage her work.

In the future, just don't do it. Ask your husband to stop volunteering your services.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Well, if she makes an excuse for giving you grief after her cruise, I suggest you tell her that she is so very lucky that your husband pays her enough that she can afford a Disney cruise in the first place and that you think it is a poor reflection on her moral character that she would deliberately stiff hard working people like the Disney CMs, particularly with the generous salary you know she gets.

It's a poor judge of character who ticks off their boss' wife!

Last edited by Gigi22; 07-18-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: more
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Honestly, the woman sounds like a miserable human being. She spews misery so misery is what she'll get. Funny how life has a way of working that way. Karma is the great equalizer. If she sees fit to criticize after she gets back just tell her Disney isn't everyone's cup of tea; just because it's not hers doesn't mean it's not yours. She's free to "waste" her money on any other vacation she'd like to go on but she's not likely to enjoy that either. I'd be sure to tell her that last part about she won't enjoy the other destinations either. If she makes excuses for you to come by the office so she can give you an earful about her awful cruise then you should always have reasons you can't go. Eventually she'll get the point that you don't wish to talk to her. And, totally agree with a previous poster, definitely tell the husband NOT to have her ask you anymore Disney travel stuff. Yikes! Who needs that kind of stress in their lives??? Definitely makes ya feel all warm-n-fuzzy for your fellow cruisers who actually want to be on the cruise with ya, huh?

Good luck.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 DCL Wonder Double Dip 2x B2B (4 stops at CC!)
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
That was not our experience, no. Especially since they get the tips anyway, even without the envelope (which basically contains a paper saying "I've tipped you this much").

OP, you need to put this in writing for her and make a copy. It's an interesting thing, that she forgets things when she's wrong, but somehow this doesn't damage her work.

In the future, just don't do it. Ask your husband to stop volunteering your services.
He says I get too uptight about stuff. He doesn't let stuff bother him and never takes her seriously, so he thinks its funny when she irritates me. Unfortunately I can't ignore her forever since I occasionally need to stop by every once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
Well, if she makes an excuse for giving you grief after her cruise, I suggest you tell her that she is so very lucky that your husband pays her enough that she can afford a Disney cruise in the first place and that you think it is a poor reflection on her moral character that she would deliberately stiff hard working people like the Disney CMs, particularly with the generous salary you know she gets.

It's a poor judge of character who ticks off their boss' wife!
He doesn't pay her salary, the company they work for does. He interviewed her and approved her but all hiring/firing has to go through HR. He can't just say, "She bothers my wife, get rid of her." There has to be a just cause for HR to fire her. It is a very big well-known company with a lot of politics and red tape. She actually does a really good job keeping his crazy schedule straight, making sure he is where he needs to be, keeping him organized, doing all of his reports, etc. She is a wonderful secretary, just a little too opinionated if you ask me. She worked there for almost a year before I met her. DH notices she acts different when I'm around, almost like there is a competition for his attention? I think she goes out of her way to show him I'm wrong and she knows best. She doesn't do it to the other people in the office that I've asked. I can deal with it, especially when I can vent about it online. He thinks its funny and teases me about it if I let him know I'm bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
I like this. I wish OP had not told this woman that tips are auto added.
I know! What was I thinking?
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

I feel sorry for the miserable woman's family. Poor kids (and HUSBAND.)

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Does your husband work for a law/accounting/finance firm where he shares a secretary and the company keeps these horrible secretaries around forever for fear of lawsuits? It just sounds like so many secretaries I used to know
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
swedemeatball
Earning My Ears

Don't you have to sign up to prepay gratuities?
swedemeatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
... He just treats her like the lady that keeps him organized and doesn't really care what she says to him. ...
It doesn't sound like this lady is very organized IMO. Her time & money management skills aren't good either.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedemeatball View Post
Don't you have to sign up to prepay gratuities?
You're asking about something a little different.

Gratuities are automatically added to your onboard account, unless you pre-pay them. "Pre-paid" gratuities means that the amount was charged and paid for as part of your cruise fare. Otherwise, the charge will happen at the end of the cruise, and is settled (paid for) with all your other onboard charges.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
It doesn't sound like this lady is very organized IMO. Her time & money management skills aren't good either.
At the minimum for sure.
I feel sorry for her room host or hostess, as well as, her serving team in the MDR's. Some how I think this woman will run them ragged & then turnaround and stiff them on the their tip.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You're asking about something a little different.

Gratuities are automatically added to your onboard account, unless you pre-pay them. "Pre-paid" gratuities means that the amount was charged and paid for as part of your cruise fare. Otherwise, the charge will happen at the end of the cruise, and is settled (paid for) with all your other onboard charges.
Is this easy to do? We pay our cruise with our Disney Visa for the 6 MO no interest, so deferring the tips part as well (and getting points) would be a win-win in my book!

OP- just ignore the nasty woman! She sounds jealous!

We also like handing out the envelopes the last night. We write little thank you notes to the servers, and make sure DS signs them too! He loves being the big man to hand them out with the extra cash for their hard work!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Is this easy to do? We pay our cruise with our Disney Visa for the 6 MO no interest, so deferring the tips part as well (and getting points) would be a win-win in my book!

OP- just ignore the nasty woman! She sounds jealous!

We also like handing out the envelopes the last night. We write little thank you notes to the servers, and make sure DS signs them too! He loves being the big man to hand them out with the extra cash for their hard work!
Just call DCL (or have your TA do it, if you used one) and tell them you want to pre-pay the tips.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #30
Kitster
Crazy about Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
She does not believe in tipping. She is anti tipping because society should not obligate you into giving extra money that is not a direct charge for service. If we are obligated, then "gratuities" should be renamed as "mandatories." Her words, not mine! ... I let her know the gratuities are automatically charged to their onboard account and that she would have to go to Guest Services to have them removed. She was more than ok with that. Knowing her, she'll have quite an attitude when she asks for them to be removed too.
So glad I kept reading your post, because you took the words right out of my mouth.

We've had two types of Head Servers aboard our 8 previous cruises, well three types actually.
  • Type 1 greets you at the entrance and you never see him / her again until the final night in the dining room. They get the suggested tip, no more.
  • Type 2 greets you at the entrance, stops by your table throughout the week to see how things are going and bids you farewell on the last night. They get the suggested tip plus a little something 'extra'.
  • Type 3 is our favorite type of Head Server and we've had them on 2 different occasions. These are the men and women who make sure you have a Magical cruise.

Disney Wonder: 11/2002; 11/2004; 11/2005; 9/2006; 9/2009
Disney Magic: 12/2010 (B2B Christmas cruise)
Celebrity Millenium (Alaska): 6/2011
Disney Fantasy MV: 3/2012
Disney Dream: 10/2013 B2B
NCL Pride of America 7 night Hawaiian cruise then Disney's Aulani: 1/31 - 2/16/2015 (BD celebration)
Kitster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: