Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #121
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Tuesday started out basically as planned except that the MSB/Starbucks was packed so we headed over to Gaston’s for a cinnamon roll …

It was Ok. As others have said, a bit dry and could have definitely used more frosting.

Again, it was hot … Hades Hot … so it was nice to take the boat over to Fort Wilderness for lunch at a new place for us ….

We got there a bit early and had to wait a few minutes for the changeover from breakfast to lunch. Not a big deal. The area was beautiful.
Once seated, we could see the breakfast buffet and the few folks finishing up. Definitely looks like something I would like to try on a future trip.

The menu –

Loved the mason jar glasses –

We both started with the Oak-smoked Chicken and crispy Dumpling Soup $6.49

This was really tasty. The dumplings were kind of like a cracker and really good mixed in the soup.

So far so good!

Here’s where I made a mistake. I love fried oysters and had planned on having the Knife & Fork Oyster Po' Boy - on Buttermilk Biscuits with Tasso Ham, Country Slaw, and B�arnaise A�oli served with House Fries $12.99. But while looking at the menu we talked about how we were going to be eating at Fulton’s later in the week and I would have their Po’Boy so I changed my mind and got the "BLT" Flatbread Bacon Marmalade - with Melted Cheddar and topped with Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Balsamic Drizzle $13.99

This was really not good. The bacon marmalade was way too sweet. Sounded good but just was not executed well.

But Andrew’s choice, the Chicken and Waffles - Buttermilk Fried Chicken Fillets and Sweet Potato Waffles with warm Buttered Rosemary-Maple Syrup $13.49 was another story …

This was really, really good. Chicken fingers instead of chicken on the bone made it so much easier to eat. I would have loved just an order of the sweet potato waffles, they were really tasty. He ate every bite other than the one he gave me!

Andrew was too full for dessert but I definitely was not and had to try the Southern Style Banana Cream Pie - in a jar $5.49

Now this was delicious! Perfect banana cream pie with a lovely piece of crust. I ended up eating it all and wanted more!

After lunch we took some time to just rock on the wrap around porch –

Somehow I can’t find the picture of the receipt again. I think I forgot to take it at the restaurant and took it at some point later in the room. Cost was $47.42 with TIW savings of $9.19.

Definitely worth the trip from the way too crowded MK. It was a really nice break in the day. I made a wrong choice for my entrée but everything else we had was really good so I would definitely return.
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #122
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Glad Andrew is getting better

Your AP meal looked delicious and TE looked like a wonderful uncrowded break
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #123
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I had wanted the chicken and waffles at Trails End since I first saw them reviewed here on the Restaurants board. That is, until I tried the chicken and waffles at Hash House a Go Go in Vegas earlier this year. I really don't think that Trails End's version can possibly compare.

They did look pretty good though.

Wish you'd had the Po'boy, hope you managed to get it at Fulton's.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #124
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

We are going to Trails End for dinner in December - we've not tried it before but thought it would be nice to pop over from Wilderness Lodge and we love spending time over at FW
Shame your flatbread wasn't great :-(
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #125
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

The Chicken and Waffles and Banana Cream Pie look delicious! I may have to try and fit that in sometime too!!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #126
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Glad Andrew is getting better

Your AP meal looked delicious and TE looked like a wonderful uncrowded break
Thank you. AP was really great & yes, I loved the break in the day at TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I had wanted the chicken and waffles at Trails End since I first saw them reviewed here on the Restaurants board. That is, until I tried the chicken and waffles at Hash House a Go Go in Vegas earlier this year. I really don't think that Trails End's version can possibly compare.

They did look pretty good though.

Wish you'd had the Po'boy, hope you managed to get it at Fulton's.
Not sure I will ever get to Vegas but I am now very curious about Hash House a Go Go for the name as much as the chicken & waffles!

And no Po'boy for me ... Fultons was one that we cancelled on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
We are going to Trails End for dinner in December - we've not tried it before but thought it would be nice to pop over from Wilderness Lodge and we love spending time over at FW
Shame your flatbread wasn't great :-(
I had it scheduled for dinner up til close to the trip when I changed it to lunch. I want to try dinner one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
The Chicken and Waffles and Banana Cream Pie look delicious! I may have to try and fit that in sometime too!!
They were very good!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #127
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

AP looks amazing! The tomatoes look so delish! Nice update w/ Trails End! The food looks really good & fun!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #128
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Seriously, chicken and waffles in WDW - that is so awesome!!!
Is that pieces of chicken that you dump in the soup for the appetizer??
Now you're talking with that banana pudding dessert. Love the mason jar theme.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #129
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Not sure I will ever get to Vegas but I am now very curious about Hash House a Go Go for the name as much as the chicken & waffles!
There is one just opened up in Orlando this year - it's on International Drive, if you ever get the chance to venture out there - the chicken and waffles are totally worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
And no Po'boy for me ... Fultons was one that we cancelled on the fly.
Gutted
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #130
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday Vicki!! I hope you have an awesome day!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #131
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday Vicki!! Hope it's magical!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #132
jabead
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday Vicki!

- and -

Happy "Getting your stitches out" Day Andrew!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #133
pattiken
Mouseketeer

Im a little late, but definelty joining in on this one
That train ride looks like an fun adventure for sure.
I love your reviews so far..now on my lists to try pier37 and AP

me , DH , DS 16 , DD 11

universal studios..hard rock hotel 2012 trip report...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002065
7 days disney at staying at SSR...ongoing report sep 2012http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3008157
pattiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #134
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

I've been wanting to try Trails End. Looks delicious. I'm surprised the BLT flatbread wasn't so good. Hopefully the po boy at Fultons ended up being good.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #135
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Happy Birthday Vicky!! Hope you have a fabulous Magical Day!

smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: