Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #106
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesHauntedMansion View Post

I think that the resort where the child was bitten was Pop Century. I also hate it when people say "It's Florida. You can expect to see snakes." I do think that Disney can do a better job controlling the population of snakes around the property. I just don't like the idea that it's Florida so you just have to share your vacation with a snake. I live near New Orleans. When visitors get shot or robbed, we don't say "Well, you decided to vacation in New Orleans. You should have known you'll get shot or robbed at least once."
I have to agree with PP, I think it was CBR.
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #107
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingMom View Post
I have to agree with PP, I think it was CBR.
Yes, it was CBR.
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #108
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymommyof4 View Post
I thought those were rat trap boxes...maybe it was snake traps...Ewww !!
Ok - so what do these traps look like? I guess I have never noticed them!

And it was CBR. B/c we stayed there just a few weeks after I read that post and I was the hysterical mom who wouldn't let my kids step even a centimeter off the sidewalk, and about had a heart attack each time we walked by bushes.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #109
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that the resort where the child was bitten was Pop Century. I also hate it when people say "It's Florida. You can expect to see snakes." I do think that Disney can do a better job controlling the population of snakes around the property. I just don't like the idea that it's Florida so you just have to share your vacation with a snake. I live near New Orleans. When visitors get shot or robbed, we don't say "Well, you decided to vacation in New Orleans. You should have known you'll get shot or robbed at least once."
But realize Disney World is a nature preserve. That's why I was surprised when the Cast Member killed the non-venomous snake that started this whole thread. Disney will usually just relocate the animal to another location not so close to humans. However, animals tend to move around quite a bit so they'll be back.

At least the OP said the Cast Member realized he shouldn't have killed the snake since it wasn't venomous.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #110
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
That is like saying someone visits the bayou, and complains about the gators, and you agree they should be better managed.

Reducing the snake population would mean an increase in rats and mice and other really icky things. Not a trade off I would want to make.

Not to mention, there have been 2 problems with snakes reported over the last how many years? Seems they do a good enough job of handling them already.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #111
Runnergal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephm0188 View Post
oh my goodness. I shouldn't have opened this.
Big ditto!!! I was terrified to open this thread for fear there would be a picture. I haven't read thru the entire thing but I don't even think I can. I am petrified of snakes.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #112
Runnergal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
That is like saying someone visits the bayou, and complains about the gators, and you agree they should be better managed.

Reducing the snake population would mean an increase in rats and mice and other really icky things. Not a trade off I would want to make.

Not to mention, there have been 2 problems with snakes reported over the last how many years? Seems they do a good enough job of handling them already.
Despite my fears, I agree. It was built on a swamp-what can you do? But I could never, ever, live in Florida for this reason.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #113
CSwan1
DIS Veteran

We just returned from 11 days in the Happiest Place on Earth! Saw LOTs of wildlife this trip including:

A Large Hawk at POR
A Small Gator at POR
A Medium Snake at BC near International Gateway
Lots of lizards, bunnies, birds, ducks, etc
Past Disney Vacations:May 2006 WDW POR & Disney Wonder 3 Day with My Disney Fairytale Wedding May 2008 WDW AKL & Disney Wonder 4 DayJuly 2010 WDW SSR June 2011 Disney World June 26th, 2011 Disney DREAMAugust 2012 Disney World at the Art of Animation Resort October 2012 Disney World Swan and Dolphin Our First MNSSHP
My First Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1831750[/COLOR]
CSwan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #114
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

SCARY!! Sounds like Disney did the right thing though!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #115
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

We've seen a few different creatures at WDW:

--A rat at Pop.
--A snake at Pop.
--A snake in the TL lazy river...the "lazy river" became the "run and scream for your life river"
--Two alligators in the Rivers of America

I would have died to find a snake in my room!

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #116
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I have requested a first floor patio in November during our stay at the Poly, never even crossed my mind to watch out for snakes but surely will be on the lookout after seeing this tread now.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #117
Kimberle
WL Vet

My dd saw a large black snake at the BC, near the main doors that go out to the pool. I was taking a picture and she went to sit on the planters in the middle, and there is was.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #118
Kimberle
WL Vet

I there a time of year when snakes are more or less active? Are you more apt to see them in the winter (cold) or summer (hot)?
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #119
Grandmatoniko
Mouseketeer

Oh my...I am so afraid of snakes and we are going to POP in August. I am so THANKFUL I requested not to have a ground level room. Please no snakes in my room or anywhere near it!!!!
POR 04, Contemporary 05, POR 06, POP 07, POP 08, POP 09, POP 10 and POP 12, POP 13 & POP 2015!!
Grandmatoniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #120
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
I there a time of year when snakes are more or less active? Are you more apt to see them in the winter (cold) or summer (hot)?
much more likely to see them in summer. they usually don't hibernate in the winter in the south, especially in florida where it doesn't get very cold, but they are a lot less active (it's called "brumation") and will sometimes come out on sunny/warmer days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: