Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #46
MacDalt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post

I would rather have a snake AND a spider than a frog and that's what I got in my ASMU room.

Me too!

April 2000 October 2013 (Pop Century)
April 2002 Next: August 2014
April 2004
April 2006
April 2013
MacDalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

I think I had that same room when I stayed at POP three summers ago. We didn't have a snake but there were many, many bugs. I brought it to their attention (front desk, in person) and they said they would send out a bug person but that never happened. Apparently there were some other bug crisis going on at the resorts and mine was low priority.

At least they weren't bedbugs.

I always preferred upper floors but after that I really preferred upper floors.
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #48
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Just for fun, go outside at Disney World with a black light and see how many scorpions are out there. That'll freak ya.

Disclosure - those scorpions won't kill you but their sting is very uncomfortable. They rarely sting except when trapped next to the skin like in clothes or in the bed sheets.

There's your happy thought for the day!
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #49
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Just for fun, go outside at Disney World with a black light and see how many scorpions are out there. That'll freak ya.

Disclosure - those scorpions won't kill you but their sting is very uncomfortable. They rarely sting except when trapped next to the skin like in clothes or in the bed sheets.

Thanks a lot, LOL.

My ex was stung by a scorpion when we were hiking the Grand Canyon but I didn't even realize they had them in FL.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #50
WishingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypatchesmsu View Post
I have in a request right now for our October trip for 60's ground floor, lake view....
Me too! Eek!
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
Me DH DD15 DD3
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #51
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Sorry that you had a scary experience. I too would have freaked.

However, snakes are not vermin. Most snakes are very beneficial to humans as they eat mice, rats, bugs, etc. I honestly hope they checked what kind of snake it was before randomly killing it. If it was an invasive species then yes killing it is a good idea, but a garter snake or the like needs to be let loose back into the wild. As someone else said, I'd rather find a snake than a palmetto bug any day!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #52
disneydaveb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaltink View Post
I hate to tell ya'll this but the snakes are coming onto Pop Century property because they have a food source! There is no other reason why they would be in such close proximity to humans. Pop Century needs to call in an exterminator and get rid of the vermin. Sorry Mickey!
Snakes "hear" through vibration so I wouldn't think they'd want to be anywhere near a busy resort unless the dining was good.
I can't count how many times I've stayed at Pop and the only critters I've seen waddle and hop!
Free Dining for snakes?
Aug/Sep 2007 - All Star Music / Sep/Oct 2006 - All Star Music / Sep/Oct 2005 - Pop Century
Nov 2004 - Disneyland Hotel / Oct 2003 - All Star Movies / Nov 2002 - All Star Movies
Jan 2002 - All Star Movies / Sep 2000 - All Star Movies / Jul 1978 - Contemporary

disneydaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
snookhams

DIS Veteran

Location: Greater London - Host to the 2012 Olympics in which my son hopes to swim

This thread has reminded me about an incident in Florida a few years ago - we were holidaying (vacationing) with my parents in a villa for 3 weeks, my sons are excellent swimmers, the eldest at National level, they were 15 and 11 at the time so we would get back to the Villa, us oldies would have a cup of tea before we would do anything else ( in the UK it is the cure for everything - especially theme park fatigue ) The boys changed and went out to the pool, when out youngest who is such a drama queen came running in screaming that the eldest son was in the pool and there was a snake in there, I assumed that he was exaggerating and it was really a worm but DH and I went out to see, and sure enough there was a snake swimming around in the pool - thank fully DS was not in there anymore - we called the villa management co. and they came and called someone to come and catch it - can't for the life of me remember what type of snake it was but it was white and pink in colour with a diamond pattern on it! we sure checked very carefully from then on before we went in the pool though
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
T0rrent
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

Great, now i'm going to have to check a flamethrower when the wife and I fly to Disneyworld next year.
T0rrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rrent View Post

Great, now i'm going to have to check a flamethrower when the wife and I fly to Disneyworld next year.
$10 says you get stripped searched when you check that! Full latex glove style!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #56
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rrent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #57
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post

Now that wasn't a visual I needed! Lmao

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #58
gritzel4
Domestic Goddess

We had a snake greet us on the stairs of the Treehouse Villas in November. I high tailed it back into the room and informed the Front Desk to get some body out there ASAP because I was not leaving my Villa until it was confirmed gone!!!

Tim Melissa David Megan
gritzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #59
bluezy
Mouseketeer

There used to be a website that was devoted to snake sightings at Disney World. They told you what areas to stay away from if you were worried about snakes. I visited it frequently before trips.

I'm just glad that we returned from a trip a few weeks ago and won't be making another trip to Disney for at least a year or two. Hopefully this thread will have left my memory by then so I'm not spending my entire trip scanning my surroundings and luggage for snakes. I will say we saw more little lizards/gecko's on this trip than our last several trips combined and that was disturbing enough for me. They were all over the place (but not in our 4th floor suite at AoA )
bluezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #60
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

How can they tell you what areas to stay away from if the snakes are all over the place? Maybe try Aulani as I hear there are no snakes in Hawaii.

Have had several snake sightings at WDW but the best one was a snake slithering his way out of the lazy river at Blizzard Beach.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: