Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #136
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Was at our local park today and there was a rattler coming out if the bushes right next to the children's play structure. This was at 8pm. Darn thing should have been wherever it should have been at dusk and not there. That's the desert for you. I hate snakes.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #137
LindyWebb
Earning My Ears

This thread makes me reconsider my trip! I am completely phobic of snakes. I would not have been able to step foot back into the resort never mind the room. Alaska is looking better and better.
LindyWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #138
LBlovesM&WDW
Mouseketeer

We saw two on our last trip and both my mom and I were completey terrified (she needed to go back the resort the first sighting). My husband knows to check the room before we'll step inside. Luckily, we don't have mousekeeping coming in. We will absolutely be on the look out during our trip next month.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #139
disney631
Earning My Ears

My biggest nightmare. I think I would faint right there. That would scare the living lights out of me.
disney631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #140
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Found this...now, I am fine with snakes, have no problem with them, they are not aggressive *usually unless they feel threatened...just saw a water moccasin yesterday and he politely moved off my path...I will pick up rat snakes/king snakes and move them...they are wonderful predators for the barn mice and rats that I would rather not have to deal with...I just don't want them in my pool...but be prudent and anytime you're near a water source don't go reaching into bushes without checking first...

I want to share what happened to my son on our recent trip to make everyone aware and to be very careful.

At the end of May we were staying at the Caribbean Resort. We had only been there for 2 hours when we headed toward the bus stop to go to dinner. We were walking on the sidewalk when my 7 year old son dropped a toy into the landscaping. The toy landed less than a foot from the sidewalk edge into some very manicured landscaping. He bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk, when he suddenly said, "Daddy, Daddy, something just bit me!" At first we thought it was just a prickly bush or a lizard until my husband saw the snake. We immediately called for an ambulance and I scooped him up, praying all the while, and headed for the bus stop to wait for the ambulance. The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell. He kept asking me if he was going to die. Imagine hearing a question like that from your child and not knowing the answer. He was bitten three times on the finger by a water moccasin. We were first taken to Celebration Hospital and then transferred to Florida Children's Hospital. He spent three days in the pediatric intensive care unit and received 12 vials of anitivenim. The swelling reached all the way to his shoulder, but antivenin was administered before it invaded the shoulder joint, or he might have lost his entire arm. Thankfully the antivenin worked, he survived, and was able to keep his arm and finger. For several weeks he was sleeping over 14 hours a day, one of the side effects of the antivenin, and he still has some stiffness in his finger.

I know the chances of getting bitten by a venomous snake at Disney are very rare, but it can and did happen. I just want to make everyone aware. It is a natural wildlife area. Watch your children around the landscaping, keep them from making shortcuts through it. Would our experience keep us from Disney in the future? No, but I would definitely be more cautious. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Bless your son (and you having to watch him go through that, so scary!) This is the similar situation that occured with a child at BC a few years ago, dropped something near landscape and the snake bit him while reaching in to grab the toy. That child was ok as well, but had to be hospitalized too. So sorry you had to go through this!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #141
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

That's HORRIFYING

I'm not scared of snakes but I'd be traumatised by finding one in my suitcase! I'm glad disney dealt with it quickly though
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #142
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

That's why we never stay on ground floor!!!

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #143
lilkimmyk
Mouseketeer

yuck

I hate snakes and would live happily the rest of my life if I never see another one again. I am glad I read this though, will definitely not be requesting bottom floor! I do also hope that little boy who was bit in May is doing well.
lilkimmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #144
quigs3
Winds in the east, mist comin' in, like somethin' is brewin', about to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMagical View Post
What fresh heck is this?!?! Why did I not stop the second I saw the word snakes! For the love of pete, i'll never get to sleep there now.
Exactly!!! I can't stop reading this thread, and I'm never going to be able to sleep tonight!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #145
quigs3
Winds in the east, mist comin' in, like somethin' is brewin', about to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYDisneyFan View Post

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad your son's ok. I despise snakes.
Thank goodness you responded so quickly and sought immediate attention! I'm glad your son is recovering!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #146
GoofyLo
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
So what about the person at the CR on a higher floor who found the snake wrapped around the curtain rod a few years ago?
What?? Umm..yes, I would completely freak out!! Yikes!!
GoofyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #147
LovesHauntedMansion
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=maxiesmom;49021667]That is like saying someone visits the bayou, and complains about the gators, and you agree they should be better managed.

Reducing the snake population would mean an increase in rats and mice and other really icky things. Not a trade off I would want to make.

Not to mention, there have been 2 problems with snakes reported over the last how many years? Seems they do a good enough job of handling them already.[/QUOTE

That's why there is alligator season as a way to control the population. Have you seen Swamp People? Also, if you're brave enough and think that Wildlife and Fisheries aren't around, gator season is year round.
6/82, 8/84, & 7/87 - Days Inn
6/89, 11/92, & 6/96 - Comfort Inn - LBV
6/97 & 11/00 - Silver Lake Resort
3/03 - All Star Music
6/04 - Silver Lake Resort
2/08 - POFQ
6/09 - Pop Century (50's)
7/11 - POFQ & Disney Dream cruise
4/12 - Pop Century (80's)
10/13 - Art of Animation (Little Mermaid)
LovesHauntedMansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #148
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
Bless your son (and you having to watch him go through that, so scary!) This is the similar situation that occured with a child at BC a few years ago, dropped something near landscape and the snake bit him while reaching in to grab the toy. That child was ok as well, but had to be hospitalized too. So sorry you had to go through this!
Just to clarify the post you quoted. The story was not that of the poster. It looks like they were trying to quote the story others had referenced regarding CBR. That incident happened in 2009 to another poster.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2277822
Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #149
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
I was going to ask if any of the snakes at WDW were poisonous, but I guess now I know the answer to that!
There are only 6 species of venomous snakes native to Florida and only 4 of those might be found in the Orlando area. The timber rattlers and Copperheads are rarely found as far south as Orlando.

So that leaves the Cottonmouth (water moccasins), Eastern Diamondback rattler, Pygmy rattler, and Coral snake. None are aggressive and most people that are bitten by these snakes are bitten on the hands, so just don't try to pick them up. Also watch where you are walking if you are barefoot. Deaths from bites by these snakes are very rare.

You should be much more concerned about lightning at WDW than snakes.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #150
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Just to clarify the post you quoted. The story was not that of the poster. It looks like they were trying to quote the story others had referenced regarding CBR. That incident happened in 2009 to another poster.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2277822
Oh thanks, I didn't notice that.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: