Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
I dunno - I don't think it's any more morbid the watching a casket lowered into a grave.

My little brother passed away suddenly last year and I saw him one last time before he was cremated. I'm sure they put the body in some sort of box? Had I been offered or known about an opportunity to be there right before or during ( probably not viewing) I would have.
He had a heart attack all alone and was alone for 3 days - his best friend and I found him. To be able to be with him until the very end - I don't know how to put into words - with his earthly body -so he wouldn't be alone . . . .
This is a fairly common sentiment, and even families who didn't want to stay at the cemetery to watch the casket be lowered seemed to be comforted by the fact that one or more of us would be "with" the deceased until the process was complete. (This is not the same during cremation BTW...there is not someone present by the retort the whole entire time.)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
Laura66
DIS Veteran

Thank you - I didn't know how to put my feelings to print! We were so close - I just wanted to be there for him as long as I could.
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Just read this article that says Cory Monteith's father is mad that he wasn't invited to the cremation. I'm not sure what their family problems are and I don't really care. I just can't get over the idea that people view the cremation. I know quite a few people who have been cremated including my own father and I never thought about watching it. Is this a common thing?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...-to-cremation/
I saw a show on HBO or one of the cable channels about funeral homes. In particular this one funeral home encourages families to go to the cremation and in fact has a service with it.

Honestly to hear them discuss their viewpoints on the topic was very interesting and touching.

It is not for everyone however many people felt that it really was something that gave them closure and felt as if they were sending their loved ones off, if that makes sense.

I would consider it. My parents want to be cremated.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I saw a show on HBO or one of the cable channels about funeral homes. In particular this one funeral home encourages families to go to the cremation and in fact has a service with it.

Honestly to hear them discuss their viewpoints on the topic was very interesting and touching.

It is not for everyone however many people felt that it really was something that gave them closure and felt as if they were sending their loved ones off, if that makes sense.

I would consider it. My parents want to be cremated
Simply put, funeral rites are for the sole benefit of the survivors. Pretty much anything a family requests that's legal and possible from a practical standpoint will be accomodated by a funeral home. It's very, very personal to each family what they will find comforting.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #20
SydSim
Keep Dancin'
Now, if she could just get passionate about remembering to put a period at the end of a sentence

Not to go off topic a bit, but when I read about his father being a little out of the loop, I immediately thought about what their relationship must have been like growing up, and its connection to his addiction problem. I'm always connecting childhood issues with adult problems.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #21
*tinker*bell*
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids View Post
My sister has. It was for a child who passed away. His family are Hindu, after the service/viewing at the funeral home they invited people to stay and watch the cremation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post

I would consider it. My parents want to be cremated.
I remember at one of the places I used to work, many employees went to a funeral for one of their former co-workers. I believe he was Hindu and they were invited to stay for the cremation, there was another part of the service with it. Most didn't and many of us had not heard of this before. I don't know exactly what was entailed with it but I got the feeling it was part of their culture.
*tinker*bell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #22
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *tinker*bell* View Post
I remember at one of the places I used to work, many employees went to a funeral for one of their former co-workers. I believe he was Hindu and they were invited to stay for the cremation, there was another part of the service with it. Most didn't and many of us had not heard of this before. I don't know exactly what was entailed with it but I got the feeling it was part of their culture.
Mantras, ritualistic circling around the casket and sometimes the deceased is sprinkled with water or ghee. The "cheif mourner"; generally the eldest son or closest male relative places a piece of material over the face and lights it on fire. The casket is then closed and loaded into the retort and the cheif mourner pushes the ignitor. Once this is complete the witnesses turn and leave the area without looking back. (These are all symbolic actions based on how a Hindu body would be cremated on a traditional pyre at the Ganges.)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #23
shortbun
Peacenik

I think it's sad they left his dad out of the ceremony.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #24
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Yes, in Bali. There, of course, cremations are done on funeral pyres and are, essentially, a big celebration.

Never knew it was a "thing" to view cremations in Canada or the US.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
I dunno - I don't think it's any more morbid the watching a casket lowered into a grave.

My little brother passed away suddenly last year and I saw him one last time before he was cremated. I'm sure they put the body in some sort of box? Had I been offered or known about an opportunity to be there right before or during ( probably not viewing) I would have.
He had a heart attack all alone and was alone for 3 days - his best friend and I found him. To be able to be with him until the very end - I don't know how to put into words - with his earthly body -so he wouldn't be alone . . . .
I am so sorry for your loss...and I can completely understand wanting to be there until the very last second...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I know that some places will let you 'walk' your loved one to the loading area, but it's inclosed and you only see the door to the furnace, it's not like it's see through. There are thin cardboard type caskets for creamation.

I suspect to some it's no different than walking to the grave and watching the lowering of the casket and the burial (which I find very unsettling).

I would probably handle the cremation better than the burying.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #27
Laura66
DIS Veteran

Thank you Minnesota
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
wendy46001
Mouseketeer
Dont get me wrong, I love all things wonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I know that some places will let you 'walk' your loved one to the loading area, but it's inclosed and you only see the door to the furnace, it's not like it's see through. There are thin cardboard type caskets for creamation.

I suspect to some it's no different than walking to the grave and watching the lowering of the casket and the burial (which I find very unsettling).

I would probably handle the cremation better than the burying.
Yes, its basically this ^

My mom wants to be "mixed" with my dad once she passes. When it was time to cremate my him she asked us if would make sure it was just him in there (guess she watched too much 20/20). Anyway it was strange but not unlike a burial.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
Yes, in Bali. There, of course, cremations are done on funeral pyres and are, essentially, a big celebration.

Never knew it was a "thing" to view cremations in Canada or the US.
If the religion is practiced here, then why would you assume they would suddenly adopt western culture burial?

I went to a private funeral home that had a room for cremation. They have had ceremonies in that room, including the loved ones to push the casket in. After it's pushed in, the door is closed.

Very few funeral homes are private these days, and very few offer the ability serve various religions. Many times the embalming, cleansing, and cremation are done at offsite locations that can be several hundred miles away. It can also create issues when the family wishes to see the body and then they're told the body isn't even at that location.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #30
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958 View Post
I don't think people watch the actual process.
There are some religions that do watch, even if the cremation is done in the US at a cremation facility. I used to work for a mortuary shipping company and along with that business they had a few others. One of them was a crematory (people and animals). There was a Korean religion, can't remember which one, that watched the cremations. The entire family from parents to cousins conducted a ceremony where they burned some belongings and then witnessed the cremation.

I personally also watched a cremation because I was curious and wanted to see one. I also had to help the crematory operator load extremely heavy bodies from time to time since there were times I was the only person able to help lift heavy things there. You don't actually see the body burn, it is inside a cremation contained.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: