Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Diabetics: Do You Eat Raw Oysters?

I was just watching a food show on the Food Network channel and they were talking about raw oysters, and how diabetics shouldn't eat them. So I did a little research and discovered that raw oysters can have a bacteria called vibrio vulnificus and it can cause chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. etc. and sometimes even death.

When we were in New Orleans I got sick the first night, I was blaming the food I'd eaten at lunch....but after reading more about raw oysters and diabetics it said symptoms can occur 24-48 hours later. I can figure back and it was about 42 hours after I'd eaten four raw oysters that I started feeling sick so maybe my lunch that day wasn't the culprit.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I don't think I'll be eating any raw oysters from now on. Trouble is, they were good! Would love to eat them again, but I don't think it's worth it!

So, if you're a diabetic do you eat raw oysters or avoid them?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
debknight
On the road to nowhere...

As a clinical microbiologist, I can tell you anyone can be susceptible to that bacteria. Don't know why diabetics would be singled out.
debknight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Having diabetes has nothing to do with why I have never eaten raw seafood of any kind.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post
Having diabetes has nothing to do with why I have never eaten raw seafood of any kind.
Exactly! In all fairness I haven't eaten any seafood raw or cooked since I was a toddler but raw seafood or any type of meat sounds like a recipe for disaster to me

mombrontrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Soccerpooh
When they move Margaritaville to WDW, then it really will be the happiest place on Earth!

My DD is a Type 1 diabetic, and I am guessing it is because vomiting for a diabetic is a nightmare. Not being able to keep anything down causes havoc with your BG, and then there is the whole issue with ketones. I am sure they are thinking if you can stay away from anything that could possibly cause the above mentioned symptoms that for a diabetic can be very dangerous, you should. But I agree, that is not the reason we don't eat them- the smell alone is

Soccerpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Exactly! In all fairness I haven't eaten any seafood raw or cooked since I was a toddler but raw seafood or any type of meat sounds like a recipe for disaster to me
I eat sushi a lot and have never gotten sick. I also love oysters on the half she'll but haven't had them in a number of years. Bacteria is everywhere.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Yes, I eat raw oysters, but I'm particular about where they have come from, and where I purchased them.

I am Type 2 diabetic and I've never had a problem with any raw seafood (I like saumon tartar, also) or other undercooked meat. Although, to be fair, I don't much like undercooked beef, lamb or pork (and of course not chicken).

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

I'm not a diabetic, but you'd have to hold a gun on me to get me to eat a raw oyster. Why eat something that looks like it belongs in a kleenex?

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

As another poster stated, at least with type 1, this type of illness is something to avoid at all costs. It causes havoc with their blood sugars and in fact can send these people to the hospital so they can get their blood sugar under control Very dangerous situation.

I loved raw oysters. That is until one day, when I was working in a physicians office, I saw this poor girl who had eaten one of these little buggers. I have never seen someone that shade of blue/green/gray before in my life. Needless to say, I don't eat them anymore.

Last edited by mhsjax; 07-17-2013 at 10:32 PM.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
Spriesty
Mouseketeer

Oysters are filters for the water they're in. They suck in water, holding on to all the organisms for consumption, and let the filtered water back out. All the pollutants in our bays and rivers and lakes are consumed by these creatures.

If you're going to eat them, cook them.
Spriesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I love the little clumps of sea snot with a little Louisiana Red Hot, but I acknowledge that it is a gamble and that one day I may well find myself horking into a bathroom throne with only myself and a dozen raw oysters to blame.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
I'm not a diabetic, but you'd have to hold a gun on me to get me to eat a raw oyster. Why eat something that looks like it belongs in a kleenex?
Same here.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I love the little clumps of sea snot with a little Louisiana Red Hot, but I acknowledge that it is a gamble and that one day I may well find myself horking into a bathroom throne with only myself and a dozen raw oysters to blame.
You should write the menu disclaimers for seafood restaurants.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran

There is a local story about this that posted today. A guy went fishing and they think he got this bacteria in a sore on his leg by the water of the bay splashing in the cut. (It can come from the eating raw oysters or the water infecting a cut) They said the fact he was a diabetic contributed to his death. Something about it his immune already low due to being diabetic. I had never heard of it and it is weird to read about it this morning and then see this post. Sad story.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven dwarfs View Post
There is a local story about this that posted today. A guy went fishing and they think he got this bacteria in a sore on his leg by the water of the bay splashing in the cut. (It can come from the eating raw oysters or the water infecting a cut) They said the fact he was a diabetic contributed to his death. Something about it his immune already low due to being diabetic. I had never heard of it and it is weird to read about it this morning and then see this post. Sad story.
The article I read also mentioned you could get this bacteria in your system from the contaminated water entering a cut/open sore on your body.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: