Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #91
closetdisneynerd
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the feedback!
2010 French Quarter
2013 Harry Potter, Dream Cruise, Coronado
2015 Wonder to Alaska!
closetdisneynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #92
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Awesome pictures! Love your updates.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #93
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetdisneynerd View Post
Thanks for the feedback!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Awesome pictures! Love your updates.
Just noticed you're a Red Sox/Patriots fan. Even though we live in TN, my DS loves both those teams! My DH was going to try to take him to Boston for a father/son weekend and see the Red Sox on Sat and the Patriots on Sun. They couldn't work the flights out, so they are doing a different combo. My DS has a huge David Ortiz Fathead on his bedroom wall. I feel like Big Papi is part of the family.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #94
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Love the pics! What are you shooting with??

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Nicole786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #95
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Love the pics! What are you shooting with??
I have a Canon Rebel T3. I use landscape mode a lot in situations like these. I asked a stranger at the Grand Canyon to take a family photo of us last year. He switched the setting before taking the picture, and I loved the result! Landscape mode keeps people in the foreground and the scenery in the background in focus, and for some reason, the colors seem more vivid.

This setting worked really well on my Skagway pictures, too (they are coming soon). The one mistake I made on this trip, as you will see in my Juneau pics, is forgetting to change the setting when we went whale watching. Stay tuned for that photo!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #96
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Just noticed you're a Red Sox/Patriots fan. Even though we live in TN, my DS loves both those teams! My DH was going to try to take him to Boston for a father/son weekend and see the Red Sox on Sat and the Patriots on Sun. They couldn't work the flights out, so they are doing a different combo. My DS has a huge David Ortiz Fathead on his bedroom wall. I feel like Big Papi is part of the family. [/QUOTE]

We live in RI. We just got to see the Sox play at Camden Yards in Baltimore last week and my son took 2 friends to Fenway for his birthday in April. We also go see the Patriots during their training camp each August. It is a great day. Go see the Hall of Fame in am, lunch at Patriot Place then watch training camp in afternoon. Only cost is $5 for Hall of Fame. I also have a boss with season tickets and usually get to see at least 1 game.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #97
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Just noticed you're a Red Sox/Patriots fan. Even though we live in TN, my DS loves both those teams! My DH was going to try to take him to Boston for a father/son weekend and see the Red Sox on Sat and the Patriots on Sun. They couldn't work the flights out, so they are doing a different combo. My DS has a huge David Ortiz Fathead on his bedroom wall. I feel like Big Papi is part of the family.
We live in RI. We just got to see the Sox play at Camden Yards in Baltimore last week and my son took 2 friends to Fenway for his birthday in April. We also go see the Patriots during their training camp each August. It is a great day. Go see the Hall of Fame in am, lunch at Patriot Place then watch training camp in afternoon. Only cost is $5 for Hall of Fame. I also have a boss with season tickets and usually get to see at least 1 game.[/QUOTE]

All of that sounds very fun!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #98
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

An Entertaining Evening

After the amazing scenery in Tracy Arm, my DD and I hurried to get ready for dinner. Mickey was greeting guests in his Alaskan outfit at 5:15, and we wanted to be sure to see him. (I know characters are out and about during Tracy Arm viewing, but I didn't see any. The kids did see Pluto when they were with their friends, and I am hoping their dad will send me the pic. They are in the process of moving back to England at the moment.)

We managed to get to the lobby about 5:10 and got in line. About 5:25, we made it to Mickey. He looks so cute in his fisherman gear!

307 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

308 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Minnie was scheduled to greet at 5:45. We realized we could be second in her line, so we decided to do that, even though it made us a couple minutes late for dinner. We made it to Animator's Palate by 5:50, so that wasn't a problem at all.

I'd love to have a winter outfit like Minnie's!

312 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

313 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

315 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Dinner was in Animator's Palate and was the show dinner. Again, I don't remember what DH had, but I ordered an appetizer from the kids' menu (mozzarella sticks, which were a little soggy from sitting in tomato sauce). I didn't want any of the adult choices--I had tried the Shrimp and Onion Cheesecake before but didn't care for it, and none of the other options were appealing to me. If there is ever a time you want something from the kids' menu, don't hesitate to ask. They are happy to oblige. I also had the Baked Potato Soup, which was fine, but I'm not much of a soup fan. The Pannette Pasta was my choice for the main course, and it was my favorite part of the meal. The chocolate cake for dessert was yummy, too!

Once again, the kids left dinner earlier than we did. DS went back to the room for a bit, and DD went to the club. This may have been the night that I took her to the club and changed her to self-check. By this time, she was familiar with the ship, and I felt comfortable with the fact that she could find her way to the room. We had a wave phone, and she was supposed to call us if she left the club (the counselors will allow the kids to us the phone in the lab or club, and there are also public phones in all lobbies). She stayed there until time for the show.

John Charles, the musical comedian who had entertained us briefly during the show on the first night, was the main attraction for the evening. His performance was WONDERFUL! He was so funny that all four of us were laughing the entire time. He interacted with the audience, and I was amazed how he was able to take audience comments and work them into his show in such an amusing way. This was our favorite of all the variety acts by far. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it just made me happy to look over at my family and see all of us laughing together. It was a wonderful evening!

Coming Up...Our Amazing Adventures in Skagway, Part One!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #99
Nora94
Mouseketeer

smoking?

Was there much smoking on board?

Did the kids swim (besides with the ice, lol) in the Alaska part of the cruise?

Are tips at the end of the cruise expected on Disney cruises? I know they are on pretty much every other cruise line.
Nora94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #100
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Just checking in to let you know that I haven't forgotten this thread! My kids go back to school tomorrow, so we've been busy with all the end-of-summer/back-to-school details. We are also thinking about building a house, so my brain has been running in a million directions! I plan to update in the next day or so. Can't wait to post our Skagway experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora94 View Post
Was there much smoking on board?

Did the kids swim (besides with the ice, lol) in the Alaska part of the cruise?

Are tips at the end of the cruise expected on Disney cruises? I know they are on pretty much every other cruise line.
I can't remember a time that I noticed smoking on board! I'm sure someone was smoking at some time, but I don't remember it, and I am very sensitive to smoke.

My kids didn't swim on the three port days in Alaska, but that was only because we were so busy. They did swim on our embarkation day, Tracy Arm, and our at-sea days. The water is heated, and they also enjoyed the hot tubs. I didn't get in at all. I prefer to swim when it is in the 90s!

I would say that tips are expected by the servers and your stateroom host (they work with the understanding that part of their income comes from tips), but I would also say that the tips are definitely deserved. The servers and stateroom hosts go out of their way to make your vacation magical. Disney will automatically charge the recommended tips to your account, but you can go to Guest Services to raise or lower the tips. We have never lowered ours, but I have added extra by putting cash into the tip envelopes (along with the statement showing the tips charged to my account). Our servers and stateroom host went above and beyond for us. They deserved every penny of the tip money we gave!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #101
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the camera tip! I have a T4i and really excited to use it on the dream!!! I'll have to try that landscape tip and do some test shots!

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Nicole786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #102
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Skagway, Part One: High in the Skies

I woke up on Thursday morning a little before my alarm. Amazingly, we had to wake the kids about 6:45 Alaska time (9:45 CDT--my kids are usually awake by 7:00). They really did much better adjusting to the time than I thought they would, but we've been home almost a month, and we haven't quite adjusted back. Unfortunately, they started school yesterday, and my DS starts at 7:20. We've got to get back on CDT whether we like it or not!

We went to Parrot Cay for breakfast and ran into our former tablemates. The kids ate together, and the grown-ups ate at a separate table. Our family was planning to spend the day on a helicopter excursion and a trip to the summer dog camp, and they had rented a jeep for the day (with a guide). It was fun to discuss our plans--we were all very excited!

The Wonder happened to be docked right next to the helicopter pads, so we literally walked off the ship, crossed a parking lot, and walked into the Temsco office for our 8:00 excursion time. We booked this excursion through a third party agency named M&M Tours because we could all get the excursion for Disney's child price (which saved us $210). I later found a phone number for Temsco as well, but I'm not sure what the price was to book with them directly. The M&M guide met us at the bottom of the gangway, but we didn't really need his help to cross the parking lot!

At the Temsco office, we donned the appropriate gear and watched a safety video. They gave us vests and boots that covered our shoes. We wore fleece pullovers and took gloves. We were very thankful for the gloves once we got to the glacier! We did get a little cold at the glacier, but I wouldn't have wanted to wear much more clothing because we would have been too warm in the helicopter.

We booked our helicopter excursion on our first port day because we knew the air excursions were the most likely to be cancelled due to weather, and we wanted to be able to reschedule on another day if necessary. Thankfully, it was a great morning. We had a little bit of sun in the morning. It turned mostly cloudy before long, but nothing that got in the way of our trip.

Ready to board the helicopter...

327 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

328 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

We were assigned a helicopter with a grandmother and her grandson. They sat in the front with the pilot, and we sat in the back. You do not get to choose your seat because they are assigned based on weight.

I was VERY surprised by the helicopter ride. I expected it to be choppy, but it was so smooth! We lifted off the ground and seemed to float through the sky. The scenery was absolutely AMAZING, and I couldn't believe how close we were to the mountains. We wore headphones and could ask the pilot questions during the 40 minute round trip. Without a doubt, the helicopter ride was one of the highlights of our cruise. If you have a chance to see Alaska from the air, I highly recommend it!!!

329 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

330 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

331 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

332 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

333 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

334 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

335 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

337 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

338 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

340 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

341 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

342 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

342 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

343 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

345 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Coming Up...Skagway, Part Two: Glacier Fun

Last edited by MickeyMomTo2; 08-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #103
lorimay
DIS Veteran

The helicopter ride looks amazing.

I'm so jealous, I so want to do this tour.
I hate flying (I do it on commercial planes, but dread it)

I swore I was going to do this tour next year when we did Alaska.
My husband surprised me and booked this Sept 2 cruise.
But now that its coming up I am chickening out.

Please post more pictures of your adventure so I can live vicariously thru you.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #104
Mickey Team
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great info!!
Mickey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #105
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
The helicopter ride looks amazing.

I'm so jealous, I so want to do this tour.
I hate flying (I do it on commercial planes, but dread it)

I swore I was going to do this tour next year when we did Alaska.
My husband surprised me and booked this Sept 2 cruise.
But now that its coming up I am chickening out.

Please post more pictures of your adventure so I can live vicariously thru you.
I really can't believe that I did this excursion! I have never flown in anything other than a large airplane, and I don't really like to do that. BUT, this was my son's #1 request for the cruise, and you know you will do things for your kids that you wouldn't do otherwise!

However, it was MUCH smoother than I expected. It really felt like we were floating. I was very surprised. If you can muster some courage, I think you will be glad you tried it (but I also understand not doing it if it causes such anxiety that you wouldn't be able to enjoy it).

Either way, I hope you have a wonderful cruise! It will be awesome with or without the helicopter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Team View Post
Thanks for all of the great info!!
You're welcome! Thanks for reading!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: