Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #31
Mokat76
DisKat

I wouldn't want to live in a war zone, but I also will not be taken advantage of by the "whatever" neighbor.

Their cat, their problem to solve. Give them the gifts each and every time. I'd start by taking them over to them when they were home so they grasped the severity of the problem. If that didn't work, flinging would be next. They need to know how severe and annoying it is, not blow it off. A responsible pet owner will take ownership of the problem, not start a war.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #32
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76 View Post
I wouldn't want to live in a war zone, but I also will not be taken advantage of by the "whatever" neighbor.

Their cat, their problem to solve. Give them the gifts each and every time. I'd start by taking them over to them when they were home so they grasped the severity of the problem. If that didn't work, flinging would be next. They need to know how severe and annoying it is, not blow it off. A responsible pet owner will take ownership of the problem, not start a war.
My guess is that they don't want to deal with it, that they have decided that "it's just what cats do." They've already said as much to the OP. So flinging isn't going to bring about the desired result. It's only going to create tension and hostility.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
Trap the cat and take it to the pound.

Problem solved.
Not really. You may have just committed a violation or misdemeanor.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
To those who said to give the presents to the cat's owner.

That's not going to change the cat's habits and will create more animosity between neighbors.

Would you want to live in a "war zone"? I wouldn't.
I don't give a rat's red behind if it creates animosity. If I have asked someone nicely to stop their pets from pooping/leaving dead animals and the owner has ignored me, then I will return the unwanted "presents" to them so that THEY can deal with them. If they are close, I load the object on a shovel and fling it back into their yard. For all I know, they think their pet left it there.

In one case, the house behind us had cats that kept pooping in our yard. I take care of MY cat's poop and expect the same from others. I asked him nicely and he said he let them poop outside (no inside litter box) because he didn't want them to ruin his wood floors. He made it MY problem. Plus, they irritated my cats by stalking them via our windows. I'd had enough, so I gathered the poop in a Ziploc bag and left it on his front doorstep. Had he ignored my message, (which he did not.....the pooping stopped) the next step would have been to leave it on his doorstep WITHOUT a Ziploc bag.

Pet owners like this do not care about what inconveniences their neighbors. Until it is an inconvenience to THEM, you will be made to suffer. I've never had a neighbor go nuts over me flinging their poop back. But it stopped the behavior every time.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I would just toss it back into their yard. Seems like a no brainer to me.

The maggots & other carrion creatures will make short work of it and it will be nothing in a matter of a couple of days.

Look at as "feeding the carrion" in the "circle of life"....
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #36
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:

Problem solved.

I absolutely hate pet owners who don't see issues like this. You tried and she wont do anything. So now its time to fix the issue.
And I hate people who take other peoples' pets to the pound. If my neighbor did that to me, because they'd know it was my pet, I'd probably slash tires... at the least.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

I'd just put it in their yard. It shouldn't create a war issue since it's their cat.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #38
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Bringing gifts is a totally different behavioral issue for a cat than defecating on your territory. The act of bringing gifts is a cat's way of showing respect. Other than a sprinkler (which may just relocate the gift depository), the way to stop it is to make the cat dislike you and your space.

Don't pet it, don't feed it, run it away from your home every time that you see it. If it starts hissing at you every time it sees you, then you will have successfully alienated the animal and will no longer have a "gift" issue.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeafl View Post
My neighbor has a cat that is primarily an outdoor cat. They let it out in the morning, and then at night it comes back home and they let it in.

Well, this cat has taken to leaving me "gifts" every couple of days. Yesterday morning I went out on my patio to find a dead, mangled bunny with maggots all over it. Despite triple bagging it and throwing it in the garbage can in the garage it has stunk up my entire garage and laundry room. The hot weather isn't helping.

In the past few weeks it has also left me mice, chipmunks, baby bunnies and a couple of birds. I know it is the cat next door because it has actually brought me things when I was sitting on my patio, and dropped them at my feet.

Since it is the 90's here these gifts get disgusting pretty quickly. I 've talked to the woman next door about it and she basically said she has no control over it, and it is just doing what cats do. My husband is about ready to start throwing the gifts in their backyard, but I don't want to blow this up out of proportion because they are decent neighbors for the most part.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
I am an animal lover and I have to say that the cat should be kept inside for its own safety if nothing else. I am quite sure that this suggestion would not meet with approval from the cat's owner. What really distresses me is that the cat is killing birds. Unfortunately, we are loosing a lot of native song bird species because of cat predation. If I were you, I would try belling the cat. Since the cat likes you, you shouldn't have a problem getting a cat collar with a large bell and putting it on the cat. This may not totally correct the problem, but it might help to slow the cat's hunting success rate down, at least for awhile.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

It sounds to me as if the cat likes you better than its owner and is trying to bribe you to adopt it! He's offering to be a contributing member of your household.

Loving cats as I do, I would feel awful about hurting the kitty's feelings...but also loving bunnies, I would be sooooo disgusted!

Tell your neighbors you need help disposing of their cat's little gifts, and ask where on their property they would like you to leave them. Then put them there when the cat doesn't know?

Or call that TV show with the cat whisperer guy, and see if he'll come?

me, DH, DS(14), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #41
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I put them back into the neighbor's yard.
For all they know, the cat could have left them there.
If they're not home all day they would probably think the cat left it there anyhow.
I'm still trying to figure out why your garbage can is inside your garage. I'd be leaving it outside.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
If they're not home all day they would probably think the cat left it there anyhow.
I'm still trying to figure out why your garbage can is inside your garage. I'd be leaving it outside.
Some HOAs require garbage cans to be out of sight. Since most people don't want to store them in the back yard (out of sight of the neighbors) because they have to roll it out in front for pickup, they store them in the garage. It's where we have always put ours.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #43
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
HOA's dear. All trash cans must be inside garage.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #44
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
Don't put the dead things in the garage or laundry room for starters.

Be happy. The cat is preventing you from having a mouse & rodent population that will move into your house come winter time.

Between our 2 cats & the neighbors cat, we no longer have mice living in our basement. Actually haven't seen a dead mouse or chipmunk -- or living for that matter --- in months. They have killed them all off or they finally packed up & moved. The cats are know left with an occasional bird, mole & bugs.
LOL I did NOT put the carcass in my laundry room! My laundry room is connected to my garage and the smell was permeating through! We've been in this house 15 years and luckily, we have never had a single mouse (that I know of!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
I am an animal lover and I have to say that the cat should be kept inside for its own safety if nothing else. I am quite sure that this suggestion would not meet with approval from the cat's owner. What really distresses me is that the cat is killing birds. Unfortunately, we are loosing a lot of native song bird species because of cat predation. If I were you, I would try belling the cat. Since the cat likes you, you shouldn't have a problem getting a cat collar with a large bell and putting it on the cat. This may not totally correct the problem, but it might help to slow the cat's hunting success rate down, at least for awhile.
I think that's a good idea, except I don't feel comfortable putting a bell or collar on a cat that doesn't belong to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Some HOAs require garbage cans to be out of sight. Since most people don't want to store them in the back yard (out of sight of the neighbors) because they have to roll it out in front for pickup, they store them in the garage. It's where we have always put ours.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
HOA's dear. All trash cans must be inside garage.
And yep. It really stinks(in more ways than one!).

Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #45
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:

Problem solved.

I absolutely hate pet owners who don't see issues like this. You tried and she wont do anything. So now its time to fix the issue.
While that would definitely take care of the immediate problem, it could open a can of legal worms if the neighbour found out who did it. Hate the thought of the cat possibly being euthanized because of a negligent owner.

But a call could be placed to animal control. Depending on the municipality, the owner might receive an official warning and/or fine for failing to control their pet. Hitting them in the wallet may help change their behavior.

In the mean time, I'd still go with the 're-gifting' idea.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: