Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
hlg22
Mouseketeer

Yuck - so sorry. As a cat owner, I love my cat, but he stays indoors, no matter how much he complains - safer for him, and I wouldn't dream of letting him leave "presents" for my neighbors or use their gardens as his litterbox. Ugh.

It sounds like your neighbor is not receptive to cleaning up after her pet or keeping it indoors, so...there are some products you might try, in an attempt to deter the cat from leaving its presents on your doorstep. There are motion activated sprinklers, which could work for you, particularly since it sounds like the cat keeps leaving his offerings in the same place. There are also cat repellent sprays and granules, though I have never used them and can't speak to their effectiveness - I believe they use fox or some other predator urine. These could perhaps direct the cat to a different hunting ground.
hlg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Topper
DIS Veteran

http://www.shake-away.com/DomesticCa...ge=DomesticCat
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

My neighbor used to leave moth balls in her shrubs to discourage neighborhood cats from using the mulch as a litter box.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Rose23
Epcot Fan

If the cat owner is unsympathetic and does nothing, then I would try the dog idea previously given first (can you borrow a friend's dog for a day or so). Afterwards I would definitely call my animal control authority in my area. Sometimes change doesn't occur until it affects someone's pocket and they will probably issue a citation/ticket after warning the neighbor first. Your neighbor will consider the matter more serious if approached by public authority.

You have tried to be a good neighbor but approaching them first but it is unfair to you to have to clean up after another pet that you do not own. Make sure you are not feeding the animals.

There are other items you can buy at PetsMart or try homemade remedies also:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4546406_make...repellent.html

Best Wishes!
Rose23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Don't put the dead things in the garage or laundry room for starters.

Be happy. The cat is preventing you from having a mouse & rodent population that will move into your house come winter time.

Between our 2 cats & the neighbors cat, we no longer have mice living in our basement. Actually haven't seen a dead mouse or chipmunk -- or living for that matter --- in months. They have killed them all off or they finally packed up & moved. The cats are know left with an occasional bird, mole & bugs.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Any cat that kills bunnies is evil and must be stopped!

Have you tried asking a knowledgeable person at a pet store? They've usually heard about and have answers for the most common pet problems in the area. Perhaps they could suggest a spray or a homemade concoction that you could put in the yard to deter the cat? Also, perhaps you could suggest that the owners put a bell on the cat's collar so the little critters can hear it coming and at least have a chance to get away?
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

The cat is leaving you wee (dead) gifts because it likes you. There is a chance that kitty will grow out of this habit, my hunter/killer, but otherwise perfectly charming, kitty did. Or, you could return the presents to kitty's owners. Just tell them, your cat, your problem. In the meantime, I would bury the gifts.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
Don't put the dead things in the garage or laundry room for starters.

Be happy. The cat is preventing you from having a mouse & rodent population that will move into your house come winter time.

Between our 2 cats & the neighbors cat, we no longer have mice living in our basement. Actually haven't seen a dead mouse or chipmunk -- or living for that matter --- in months. They have killed them all off or they finally packed up & moved. The cats are know left with an occasional bird, mole & bugs.
Why should she be happy? I'd be really upset.

I don't own any cats and there are no outdoor cats around here. It's not allowed, they must be leashed or kept in your yard just like a dog. I have never had a mouse in my house. We did have mice in our previous house one winter in the basement cold cellar when we were keeping food in there. I moved the food from there and they never returned. Lived there 8 years after that and 3 years at this house and no mice. No cats are around to keep them away either.

OP I would take every "gift" you received and place it on your neighbours doorstep.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Trap the cat and take it to the pound.

Problem solved.

I absolutely hate pet owners who don't see issues like this. You tried and she wont do anything. So now its time to fix the issue.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

No one loves kitties more than I. That said, I will fling poop back in someone's yard in a heartbeat if their pet does their business in my yard after I have spoken to the owners about it. This cat has adopted you as family and it's bringing you gifts. Fling the gifts back into the owners' yard. You have asked them to do something about it and they have ignored you. They are causing you a problem. Make it THEIR problem. Fling it!
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
aggiemomx3
Earning My Ears

Sounds like you are a very caring person.
aggiemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
laurajetter
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy thinks my Chocolate Lab Hershey is a cutie!
WHAT IS THE STUPID DEAL WITH THESE BANANAS?

Just found this as one way to deter cats from coming into your yard:

Keeping Cats out of Your Yard
The easiest way is to make your yard unattractive to them. One effective way to do that is through a motion-activated lawn sprinkler. The company ScareCrow makes one that Iíve seen commonly used for this purpose. When setting up a motion-activated water sprinkler, be careful that you donít place it where people walk.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

This happened here. I got a shovel and launched the dead mice over on the neighbors porch. Took about 3 times and then it stopped. I think a PP is right, the people did nothing different, the cat just stopped giving me stuff.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
Trap the cat and take it to the pound.

Problem solved.

I absolutely hate pet owners who don't see issues like this. You tried and she wont do anything. So now its time to fix the issue.
But isn't that punishing the cat for the owner's behavior? That doesn't change the behavior of the pet owner. It just gets the cat trapped and (probably) killed.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

To those who said to give the presents to the cat's owner.

That's not going to change the cat's habits and will create more animosity between neighbors.

Would you want to live in a "war zone"? I wouldn't.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: