Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
We had ours done a few years ago.

The one little detail that makes my husband crazy: The contractor never mentioned the possiblilty of having a soap tray in the shower... and it didn't occur to us. As a result, I went out and bought one that rests on the tub base, but it would have been so very much nice to have one a bit higher up. For someone who does this for a living, I think it should have been something they brought up.

For that and a number of other reasons, a different contractor is starting work on our kitchen next week.

To find styles you'll both like, start browsing at www.houzz.com
Buy the 3m stick on ones. They are nice since you can remove the dish part occasionally and clean.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
becpee
I see sock puppets

We built a house a couple of years ago and I adore both of our bathrooms, they're similar but different and I don't think they'll date that fast as they're very neutral.

This is the master bathroom

And basins

and shower niche for soaps and shampoos

And the main bathroom

With a better view of the bath

We have the same tiles right through our house, I do wish we had've gone right to the ceiling in our bathrooms though (thats my only regret which isn't too bad )

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
Thanks for all the posts so far! I think we will definitely splurge on the frameless tub doors. We have to have a tub with 4 little ones!

If you will have a tub/shower combo, I would think twice about having shower doors of ANY kind ESPECIALLY with small kids! You can only ever access 1/2 of the tub at a time, it's not easy to bathe kids that way...especially if there is more than 1.

If it were me and I was installing a tub/shower combo I'd do the upgraded curved shower curtain rod.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Are lowes and Home Depot the cheapest places for all my needs?
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not necessarily.

When we did our kitchen (ourselves) we priced cabinets at Home Depot and Lowe's, and ALSO had a free kitchen designer from our local Lumber Yard come out. She gave us the best price, and was a joy to work with!

I find light fixtures selections to be better online, with same or better pricing than the big box stores.

Your contractor might have resources as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

We have one bathroom in our 103 year old house. We just renovated it last year and really wanted to stick with a look that went with the age of our house. We went from pink and green plastic tile with a green vinyl roll floor, to white wainscot half way up with a wider moulding, new tub and toilet, white and black ceramic tile floor (four rectangular white tiles with a black square tile in the center of each). We kept the vanity that was there- it was custom built and fit the space, but painted it white and got a new vanity top- black with white speckles and a built in white sink. Our fixtures are all brushed nickle. The wall color is a spa blue color. It is really pretty. Our neighbor is a general contractor and did the work for us. Beware of Lowe's and Home Dept. We were going to order our vanity top from Lowe's, but they were going to charge us an arm and a leg. We went to a local kitchen/bath place that our neighbor uses, and got something better for about $300 less. Also, the fixtures at Lowe's and Home Depot are sub-par, even though they are name brand. We didn't listen and went with them, but we are having problems with our shower fixture after only one year. We will probably go to the kitchen/bath place and get a new one.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Interesting. DH was under the impression that those specialty stores would be more expensive. I will definitely price around!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Recessed shower caddy areas can be much nicer than pre-made ones that stick out. Most of the pre-made only hold about 4 bottles or so. You can go big as you want with a recess without adding much cost. You can add hooks below to hold loofas and such.

Specialty stores will also have a larger variety of options. The store I purchased my stove at (kitchen and bath store) had bathroom displays of tile and vessel sinks that I've never seen at a big box store. So you might find something more agreeable there.

For tiles, purchase them all as the same lot number. There can be slight differences from each set.
http://www.super-tek.com/doit13.htm

Last edited by SandrA9810; 07-17-2013 at 11:04 AM.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

We're about to redo our bathroom too. I had no idea what I wanted and then I happened to see pictures of the new Grand Floridian villas. I love the bathrooms in the villas and that is what has inspired me.

We should be getting a quote from our contractor any day now, so then I'll see if I'm getting my dream bathroom or not.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

We are adding on to our house and I am looking at stuff for my new small bathroom. I think I will go with a neutral beige on the walls and have the shower curtain be the focal point (easily changed out!). We got a one-piece shower (no seams or grout- yay!).

I love slate, but don't want to put real slate in, so I'm looking at this for a floor:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020757...5784%2d%5f%2dN

This is definitely going to be my shower curtain:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=14736530

Then I'm getting an alder vanity at Menards with a tan speckled sink.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #26
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamanna1701 View Post

Wow, your bathroom looks great. Would you mind me asking how much it cost? Did you hire a contractor? I am thinking of renovating my bathroom and decided to not put tiles on the walls after seeing your pictures. It looks great just in the shower area.

OP, I would recommend that as well. Lot less grout area to worry about cleaning and getting mildew stains. My bathroom gets so hot and humid when we take showers. The tiles get so wet. And we have a window and always have it open.
Thanks! We are happy with it, I mean I would have loved to make it bigger but that wasn't possible, so we're happy with just updating it.
We hired a plumber that Dh is friends with. I think it cost about $9000 range, Dh gutted the old bath to save some $$, a LOT of work getting all the old tile out!!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #27
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Definitely shop around. We built 4 years ago and did not buy anything at the big box stores. I was shocked that the prices were so much better at the specialty places. My buildre also shopped around. He save over 8.00 a square foot on all my wood flooring!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
Mom-to-2-Princesses
Lovin' It!

Quote:
Not for everything. We've gone to many family owned businesses and you can usually get higher quality items at the home center's price for a mid price item. Also, you will have a MUCH better selection at the family owned/specialty store. A whole store of tile is much better to check out than two aisles. And the salespeople will be more specialized in the area and able to give many more suggestions and ideas.

My sister owns a flooring business and the only items you can get for less at the home center are the glues and grouts because they can but in bigger bulk. But her place isn't that much more and she and her staff are able to give much better individual care.

I know it's not a bathroom item, but our personal experience last year with our hot water heater really turned me off of the big box places. We thought we would get the best price at Home Depot or Lowes and didn't have much time to research. They ended up messing up our order so I called a local place who sold and installed the same item for $350 less. Please give your local places a chance to help you.

Mom-to-2-Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
ashley23
Party girl

I have heated floor tiles and a heat lamp in the ceiling. For as much time as I'm naked in the bathroom, I want it to be warm. I also suggest a high powered exhaust fan that has a timer so it can run a full 30 minutes after the shower ends to eliminate moisture and mildew.

I also have a ceiling fan, because with all the lights I have to apply makeup it gets hot in there.
ashley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley23 View Post
I have heated floor tiles and a heat lamp in the ceiling. For as much time as I'm naked in the bathroom, I want it to be warm. I also suggest a high powered exhaust fan that has a timer so it can run a full 30 minutes after the shower ends to eliminate moisture and mildew.

I also have a ceiling fan, because with all the lights I have to apply makeup it gets hot in there.
How much extra did the heating elements cost? How much extra on the electrical work did it take? I love the thought of it, but it sounds so expensive. Of course talking about a $20 grand demo and rebuild, a few hundred is a drop in the bucket, right?

Last edited by SandrA9810; 07-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: