Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Show me (or talk to me sbout) your bathroom!

We are renovating our bathroom. It is very small, but completely gutted out right now. DH and I can't seem to agree on anything. What's in, what looks good, etc?

He wants to tile floor to ceiling, I think that may be too much. We are thinking neutral colors like tans/browns. I love the mosaic tile.

I was also thinking of doing one big mirror on the wall. We also can't pick out the sink, vanity, etc. For the tub, I want to get the glass doors that do not have tracks on the bottom, but they are pricey.

Give me some inspiration!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Octoberbride03
I think Tweetie done gone Cuckoo
Been there, done that, married the man!

I have a small bathroom that we renovated several years ago. There's only so much you can do in a small bath but I designed it top to bottom. You're main constraint is the measurements. We were locked in to very specific measurements for tub, sink and toilet because of space/safety standards.

I will say that tile from floor to ceiling is a very good way to go. Do all 1 type of tile and do the floor and tub/shower all the way up to the ceiling. The right tile will make your bath feel bigger. Neutrals are good. My tile is a kind of cloudy blue. It was the third tile we looked at and I knew right off that was the 1. Totally different than what I thought i wanted.

I never worry about what's "In" Go for something simple and tasteful that will stand the test of time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

There really are no rights or wrongs here - just different tastes. As long as whatever you do looks fresh and new, and you are happy with it, that's the important thing. (And some will say resale value if you'll be selling.)

I prefer a variety of textures and colors in a room, but that's just me.

We did a bathroom gut and I stuck with classic whites, but I was coming from 60's mauve fixtures, so white was a welcome change. I use bold colors in small ways in that room and I like it that way.

I'd be careful about doing anything too trendy that can't be changed easily. Have fun!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
We are renovating our bathroom. It is very small, but completely gutted out right now. DH and I can't seem to agree on anything. What's in, what looks good, etc?

He wants to tile floor to ceiling, I think that may be too much. We are thinking neutral colors like tans/browns. I love the mosaic tile.

I was also thinking of doing one big mirror on the wall. We also can't pick out the sink, vanity, etc. For the tub, I want to get the glass doors that do not have tracks on the bottom, but they are pricey.

Floor to ceiling tile may run into the issue of not being level. Floors and walls settle so your tiles may end up looking uneven.

I would at least measure VERY carefully first before I ever decided to go with that option.

Deciding on a vanity, sink, etc...requires you guys compromise with a style. I can't help you there. I would tend to stick with simplicity there.

As far as glass doors without tracks, that would be worth it. I hate mine.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
denisem
DIS Veteran

Going with beige/tan/neutral tile is smart! (Coming from someone who lived in different houses with blue and pink tile...)

If I'm reading you right, I'd tile floor to ceiling in the bath/shower area, but would hesitate to do so on the "outside" walls. Gives one the ability to paint/change it out now and then. JMHO, I also think a large mirror in a small bath is smart as it will reflect the light and make the room seem larger. If you belong to Pinterest, there are tons of small bath ideas there.

And, I'm probably in the minority here and this may not apply (as I have hard water), but I much prefer our guest bath with shower curtains and clear liner that I can wash in the washing machine w/towels (or just inexpensively replace it) to my master bath glassed in shower that's a pain in the butt to stay ahead of the hard water marks. Even using a squeegee or wiping with a towel doesn't seem to leave them streakless...
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

we renovated our small bath last year, it was the orginal to the house (1950's I think, vanity etc updated in the mid 90's) and awful! We did beige tiles as well, basic white tub, toilet etc. We were trying to keep the budget as low as we could so nothing too fancy, just updated.

Before:

After:

*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

OP, we just renovated our downstairs bathroom, and getting ready to redo our upstairs one. We searched and searched with options for our bath/shower. We went with the Onyx collection. They have a lot if different styles, colors, options. We had it done tub to ceiling, including a white panel on the ceiling. We couldn't be happier! Easy to clean. Most times I just use a glass cleaner to wipe it down. Upstairs we want to take the tub out and put in a shower base with a seat. Also the trackless door. Here's a link.... http://www.onyxcollection.com/ We stick with the tans/browns too. I like neutral colors, something that goes with pretty much anything!

Can't help you with the vanity as we couldn't find what we wanted either!! We do have a favorite furniture store in Lancaster, Pa that we have dealt with. We have bought a bedroom suite off of them, as well as had a custom made bar height table and chairs. They are family owned and are wonderful to deal with. So about a month ago we took a day trip out there to see what they could do for us. We had measurements and pics of what we are looking for. They presented them to one of the Amish woodworkers that they work with. No problem to make our custom cabinets, and even had some great suggestions from them. It will take 6-8 weeks to complete, but we are in no hurry.

A big mirror over the vanity would be nice. As stated before, it will reflect light and make your room look more "roomier".

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisem View Post
Going with beige/tan/neutral tile is smart! (Coming from someone who lived in different houses with blue and pink tile...)

If I'm reading you right, I'd tile floor to ceiling in the bath/shower area, but would hesitate to do so on the "outside" walls. Gives one the ability to paint/change it out now and then. JMHO, I also think a large mirror in a small bath is smart as it will reflect the light and make the room seem larger. If you belong to Pinterest, there are tons of small bath ideas there.

And, I'm probably in the minority here and this may not apply (as I have hard water), but I much prefer our guest bath with shower curtains and clear liner that I can wash in the washing machine w/towels (or just inexpensively replace it) to my master bath glassed in shower that's a pain in the butt to stay ahead of the hard water marks. Even using a squeegee or wiping with a towel doesn't seem to leave them streakless...
I just have to say that I have been having a lot of success staying ahead of with RINSING the shower after every shower. I have a hand held in my shower as well (for cleaning it), and my sister told me to rinse down the walls after your shower.

Now it does not eliminate it of course but it seems to be helping.

We have LIME. What is your mineral?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
... For the tub, I want to get the glass doors that do not have tracks on the bottom, but they are pricey.

"Frameless" shower door. For us, the frameless was $500 more than the old-fashioned kind -- well worth it.

My son's bathroom has the same Kohler set as cepmom.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
denisem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I just have to say that I have been having a lot of success staying ahead of with RINSING the shower after every shower. I have a hand held in my shower as well (for cleaning it), and my sister told me to rinse down the walls after your shower.

Now it does not eliminate it of course but it seems to be helping.

We have LIME. What is your mineral?
I have no idea; if I didn't know better I'd say diamonds.

I've tried vinegar, the Pinterest formulas, Mr. Clean erasers, WD-40...I'm afraid the etching is in the glass forever. It's not as noticeable outside the shower, but when I'm inside with the light shining through, I see every mark. Maybe I need to shower in the dark?

OP, sorry for sidetracking your thread; but thanks, MM, for the suggestion.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
mlamanna1701
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
we renovated our small bath last year, it was the orginal to the house (1950's I think, vanity etc updated in the mid 90's) and awful! We did beige tiles as well, basic white tub, toilet etc. We were trying to keep the budget as low as we could so nothing too fancy, just updated.
Wow, your bathroom looks great. Would you mind me asking how much it cost? Did you hire a contractor? I am thinking of renovating my bathroom and decided to not put tiles on the walls after seeing your pictures. It looks great just in the shower area.

OP, I would recommend that as well. Lot less grout area to worry about cleaning and getting mildew stains. My bathroom gets so hot and humid when we take showers. The tiles get so wet. And we have a window and always have it open.

Last edited by mlamanna1701; 07-17-2013 at 07:14 AM.
mlamanna1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

We had ours done a few years ago.

The one little detail that makes my husband crazy: The contractor never mentioned the possiblilty of having a soap tray in the shower... and it didn't occur to us. As a result, I went out and bought one that rests on the tub base, but it would have been so very much nice to have one a bit higher up. For someone who does this for a living, I think it should have been something they brought up.

For that and a number of other reasons, a different contractor is starting work on our kitchen next week.

To find styles you'll both like, start browsing at www.houzz.com

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the posts so far! I think we will definitely splurge on the frameless tub doors. We have to have a tub with 4 little ones!
Still not sure just how much we should tile. I saw a picture of a bathroom with square tiles on the bottom, then subway looking tiles on top, and I really liked it.
If we put one large mirror on the wall like I want, we are losing wall space for a vanity, so we'd have to get a sink with a nice amount of storage underneath. (Other option was pedastal sink.)
DH wanted to do a huge glass vanity and mount it into wall, but something with the wall behind it made it impossible so that's out.
I have been using Pinterest like crazy, and trying to put together everything I like, but it's hard to put the pieces together!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
schrammalot
Mouseketeer

Mirror! Use as large of a mirror that you can. It'll make it feel a bit bigger... plus, who doesn't love a huge mirror in the bathroom?!

schrammalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
We had ours done a few years ago.

The one little detail that makes my husband crazy: The contractor never mentioned the possiblilty of having a soap tray in the shower... and it didn't occur to us. As a result, I went out and bought one that rests on the tub base, but it would have been so very much nice to have one a bit higher up. For someone who does this for a living, I think it should have been something they brought up.

For that and a number of other reasons, a different contractor is starting work on our kitchen next week.

To find styles you'll both like, start browsing at www.houzz.com
Oh wow! I thought I was the only one this happened to. It's your business. How do you forget!?
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: