Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #61
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Here in Louisiana, at least when I was growing up, we all took a hunter safety class in PE somewhere in middle school. It included gun safety, and shooting guns. (At my school we just got pellet guns. At DH's school out in the piney woods, they got to shoot real rifles.) At the end we got a certificate saying we'd passed.

I distinctly remember basic gun safety being part of kindergarten and first grade as well - in the same category with "The Fireman is our friend!" and "What does the Post Office do?" sorts of lessons.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #62
glammadiva
DIS Veteran

Eddie Eagle is a wonderful program and teaches kids what to do if they find a gun.
glammadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #63
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
It would never go over here in my town.. heck, the parents do not even allow the kids around here use their hand as a gun.. I can't imagine they would allow the schools to talk about guns in any way.
How can pretending that guns do not exist keep children safe? Now we do not let DS pretend to shoot anyone, except specific neft gun play time, but he absolutely knows what a gun looks like and that if you ever see one to never touch, walk away and get an adult. Most people in our area, do have guns and the kids have had their hands on them, but they are a lot safer if they come upon one because they know what to do. Do not all schools have resource officers? I know our officer does programs and address issues like guns, and stranger awareness, and seat belt safety etc.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #64
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The primary goal of the National Rifle Association's Eddie Eagle program is not to safeguard children, but to protect the interests of the NRA and the firearms industry by making guns more acceptable to children and youth. The Eddie Eagle program employs strategies similar to those utilized by America's tobacco industry—from youth "educational" programs that are in fact marketing tools to the use of appealing cartoon characters that aim to put a friendly face on a hazardous product. The hoped-for result is new customers for the industry and new members for the NRA.

The NRA uses Eddie Eagle as a lobbying tool in its efforts to derail the passage of child access prevention (CAP) and mandatory trigger lock laws—on both the state and federal levels.

Undercover interviews conducted by the Violence Policy Center and the Global Survival Network with NRA staff at gun industry trade shows confirm that Eddie Eagle is not only a thinly disguised marketing tool used to "soften up guns" in the words of one NRA staffer—essentially Joe Camel with feathers—but also acts as the "the clean-up committee" to help burnish the NRA's public image after gun control battles.
Ahh yes, a cute little cartoon character . . . http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/eddiekey.htm
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #65
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
How can pretending that guns do not exist keep children safe? Now we do not let DS pretend to shoot anyone, except specific neft gun play time, but he absolutely knows what a gun looks like and that if you ever see one to never touch, walk away and get an adult. Most people in our area, do have guns and the kids have had their hands on them, but they are a lot safer if they come upon one because they know what to do. Do not all schools have resource officers? I know our officer does programs and address issues like guns, and stranger awareness, and seat belt safety etc.
We have DARE program in 6th grade. Other then that.. the police will come in once in a while to discuss bike safety and pedestrian safety...but never guns. We are an upscale urban community and the people in this town like to believe nothing bad will ever happen in the town...sickening...and I look forward to leaving!!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #66
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammadiva View Post
Eddie Eagle is a wonderful program and teaches kids what to do if they find a gun.
I would absolutely object to the use of a political mascot in my child's school. That isn't gun safety education, that is political lobbying.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #67
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
I would absolutely object to the use of a political mascot in my child's school. That isn't gun safety education, that is political lobbying.
The course can be taught without use of the eagle - you just have to teach everything that's in the video without actually showing the video. That said, I've seen the video (many years back). I doubt seriously most adults (much less children) would get a pro gun political message out of it.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #68
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
Here in Louisiana, at least when I was growing up, we all took a hunter safety class in PE somewhere in middle school. It included gun safety, and shooting guns. (At my school we just got pellet guns. At DH's school out in the piney woods, they got to shoot real rifles.) At the end we got a certificate saying we'd passed.

I distinctly remember basic gun safety being part of kindergarten and first grade as well - in the same category with "The Fireman is our friend!" and "What does the Post Office do?" sorts of lessons.
We took a week out of math to take the hunters safety course, though it wasn't until 7th grade. I lost the card and this was before computer generated records. Years later when the course became mandatory, I had to retake it
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #69
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Ahh yes, a cute little cartoon character . . . http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/eddiekey.htm
Wow, an anti-gun group finds faults with an NRA safety program. I'm shocked
Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #70
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
Didn't look at the article yet but if we are talking that they are going to teach "Guns are dangerous and you should never play with them. Always assume they are loaded and tell an adult if you see a gun that isn't locked up." Then I think that is fine.

If they are going to teach anything that involves touching a gun then no... these are first graders.

I agree- I don't mind the schools teaching my child that but no way in heck are they going to teach her to handle a gun-I wouldn't allow it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtrfly74 View Post
I think this would work well with the DARE program and police officers teaching it. Im sorry if schools have dropped that program due to ineffectiveness, my DD tells me all the time that smoking is a drug and im killing her by making her lungs black... so yeah at a young age its effective.
?
That is what they tell the kids in health class in first grade here- no need for a dare program for that.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #71
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I agree- I don't mind the schools teaching my child that but no way in heck are they going to teach her to handle a gun-I wouldn't allow it!.
Even the hunter safety course (which is obviously geared toward people who WILL be firing guns) doesn't feature actual guns or gun training in the class.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #72
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
The course can be taught without use of the eagle - you just have to teach everything that's in the video without actually showing the video. That said, I've seen the video (many years back). I doubt seriously most adults (much less children) would get a pro gun political message out of it.
I haven't seen the video and the corresponding curriculum, so I don't know whether it is accurate to say that everything within it needs to be taught (unless it begins and ends with "don't touch, get an adult, guns are not toys," however, it would not be acceptable to me). I can also say that I honestly don't care whether it's perceived by pro-gun industry advocates as "neutral", as I will not allow the primary gun industry lobbying group to teach my children anything. The NRA teaching gun safety in school would be akin to me, and to many people, as Planned Parenthood teaching Abstinence Education in a Southern Baptist church. I'll let Joe Camel teach my children not to smoke before I'll let the gun industry's lobby teach my children how to handle their products.

Would you be amenable to using the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence's curriculum in schools?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #73
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't seen the video and the corresponding curriculum, so I don't know whether it is accurate to say that everything within it needs to be taught (unless it begins and ends with "don't touch, get an adult, guns are not toys," however, it would not be acceptable to me). I can also say that I honestly don't care whether it's perceived by pro-gun industry advocates as "neutral", as I will not allow the primary gun industry lobbying group to teach my children anything. The NRA teaching gun safety in school would be akin to me, and to many people, as Planned Parenthood teaching Abstinence Education in a Southern Baptist church. I'll let Joe Camel teach my children not to smoke before I'll let the gun industry's lobby teach my children how to handle their products.

Would you be amenable to using the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence's curriculum in schools?
That's exactly what came to mind for me too. Our school board has a policy against using any materials, no matter how neutral they are on the surface, that are published, sponsored, or provided by groups like Planned Parenthood in the health and sex ed curriculum. That reaches far beyond anything dealing with abortion or contraception - even basic informational materials about periods and puberty are off-limits if they come from an organization with an agenda in the abortion/contraception debates. I don't see why gun safety should be any different - if the district or state feels it needs to be taught, it could certainly do so with a less politically charged set of instructional materials.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #74
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Even the hunter safety course (which is obviously geared toward people who WILL be firing guns) doesn't feature actual guns or gun training in the class.
If that's the case, things have changed since I took the course in NJ in order to get my hunting license. Shotguns were used in the class, only handled by instructors. They were used in addition to films to demonstrate proper firearm safety. We also had a field day where we had to demonstrate a minimal degree of proficiency with our own weapon. Those aspects of the class totally appropriate and necessary.

What wasn't appropriate was that each class finished about a 1/2 hour early and, "in order to get the required hours," the instructors kept us and went into their NRA pro gun rights rhetoric for the remaining time. I was stuck with it as they were the only game in town.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #75
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway.

I wouldn't care who was teaching gun safety in the schools as long as someone does. Personally, I'd love to see the two groups work together. The NRA has a long history of gun safety and responsible gun ownership. The Brady Campaign has first-hand knowledge of what happens when guns get into the wrong hands. Both organizations, interestingly enough, have the exact same big-picture motive -- no more gun violence.

Last edited by WDSearcher; 07-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: