Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #31
sbtrfly74
DIS Veteran

I think this would work well with the DARE program and police officers teaching it. Im sorry if schools have dropped that program due to ineffectiveness, my DD tells me all the time that smoking is a drug and im killing her by making her lungs black... so yeah at a young age its effective.

I hate that they have taken drivers ed away from schools, but at the same time I took drivers ed in school and didnt get to drive more than 5 mins. Times have changes and teenagers still cant drive. Now its a mandatory $350 class here and 60hrs of driving that most parents where I live fudge the books.

I fudged my DD's book somewhat but she drove for 2.5 years to and from school and work so I was more than fine that she had her 60hrs.

Back to topic, I refuse to have guns in my home now. My ex was an avid hunter and I dont remember what he did before he had a locked gun cabinet but he had guns. Its horrible that someone leaves a gun loaded and open for a child to find it and "pretend to be daddy" or whatever. Id be fine if something was taught in school to say if you see a gun, run and tell an adult. What if my youngest child who's never seen a gun was at a friends house and found one?
sbtrfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #32
mikehn
DIS Veteran

I dont believe this is a core academic curriculum that should be publicly funded and taught in public schools. In Maryland, hunter safety courses (which includes gun safety) is administered by the state, but it is funded through revenue from hunting licenses, not taxes on the general public.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I'd like to see that too, but wishing it won't make it happen.

Not to mention that in some communities, gun safety doesn't even show up on the radar until there's an "incident". Lots of engaged and responsible parents don't think about gun safety as a "life skill".

I'd rather have 30 min twice a year in school where someone comes in to remind kids -- at ALL grade levels -- about gun safety than to have even one child killed because they accidentally picked up a gun.

The fact that these classes are even necessary in the first place makes me shudder and thank my stars that I live where I do.

But since it is necessary, I agree with you. Seems like a tiny price to pay in exchange for saving the life of a child. Now if they could just teach the adults to lock up their guns in the first place....
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #34
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
The fact that these classes are even necessary in the first place makes me shudder and thank my stars that I live where I do.
People in your shoes with your perception probably need the class more than the rest
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #35
minnie mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
People in your shoes with your perception probably need the class more than the rest
I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. Could you explain, please?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
erin1715
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
Huh? How is teaching kids how to safely respond when they see a gun (which they very well may do in any number of legal scenarios) 'missions work' and 'crap'?
I believe what people are talking about in this thread is to teach students how to handle a gun...not simply how to respond if they happen to see one. So now all teachers have to be educated themselves on how to handle a gun even if they don't want to.

I referred to teaching in general becoming missionary work these days.
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. Could you explain, please?
I think people are perhaps wondering why it is that where you live is so superior to make you thankful? Canada?
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #38
erin1715
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
No, I'd like to see schools return to the concept of solid academic education and I'd like to see parents actually fulfill their obligations to teach their children all the "life skills" agenda stuff that is continuously getting pushed onto the schools because parents suck.
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
minnie mum

Quote:
I think people are perhaps wondering why it is that where you live is so superior to make you thankful? Canada?
Superior, no. Different, yes. Canada, yes. As you may know, our gun control laws are somewhat more strict. Incidents of children killing each other when they play with loaded guns are quite rare.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #40
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Superior, no. Different, yes. Canada, yes. As you may know, our gun control laws are somewhat more strict. Incidents of children killing each other when they play with loaded guns are quite rare.
It's your assumption that your child won't come into contact with guns that makes your child a risk. Mine probably won't come across an unsecured gun, but i make the assumption they might and teach them accordingly. That was my earlier point.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
I believe what people are talking about in this thread is to teach students how to handle a gun...not simply how to respond if they happen to see one. So now all teachers have to be educated themselves on how to handle a gun even if they don't want to.

Nothing I've read suggests that the class is intended to "teach students how to handle a gun" and in fact is explicity designed to "teach kids how to respond if they happen to see one."

From the original article posted: "The purpose of the program will be to promote safety and protection of children and emphasize how students should respond if they encounter a firearm,"

Teachers will not need to learn how to fire a gun to teach this class. I suspect in many places it can and will be taught effectively without an actual gun being involved at all.

Like several others have said, it's the people with an attitude of "it's not important because my kid will never encounter a gun" who are far more at risk of accidental gun injury or death than kids from households where guns are prevelant and where kids are taught appropriate safety from a very young age.

For the record, I've never held a gun in my life, and I don't suspect I ever will. That won't stop me from teaching my son to "stop, don't touch, find an adult" should he ever encounter a gun.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #42
LisaR

Quote:
If I lived in Canada I would still educate my child on gun safety, but it just wouldn't be as important of an issue as it is here in the states. That is the very unfortunate reality of living in the USA.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
minnie mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
It's your assumption that your child won't come into contact with guns that makes your child a risk. Mine probably won't come across an unsecured gun, but i make the assumption they might and teach them accordingly. That was my earlier point.
The thing is, my assumption that my child won't come into contact with guns is based on my country's gun control laws. Imperfect as they are, the likelihood of this happening is VERY small compared to the likelihood of this happening if we were living in the US.

We have never had a gun in our house, but of course have taught our children to never touch one. IIRC, the discussion arose after watching news coverage of just such an incident.

I think that in any environment where access to and storage of firearms is uncontrolled, it just becomes much more a necessity that this instruction be moved into the school, that's all.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post

I'm not. I don't think schools should teach students to handle guns. I think they should teach them what to do if they come across a weapon.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
gina2000
anonymous

Quote:
No, I'd like to see schools return to the concept of solid academic education and I'd like to see parents actually fulfill their obligations to teach their children all the "life skills" agenda stuff that is continuously getting pushed onto the schools because parents suck.

Why have parents? Let the state raise the children. We are at the point where schools are providing so much support, time, and money to non academic subjects, that we don't need parents anymore. It's a sad day in America when schools have to teach students what to do if they see a gun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: