Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I think the overall message of the program,
"Our 'Eddie Eagle' children's safety program has taught over 25 million young children that if they see a gun, they should do four things: "Stop. Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult," he said.

I have no issue with the message but I would be concerned about the adults ie teachers, admin and volunteer parents interjecting their own personal opinions regarding guns.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I do think this could be a worthwhile 30 minute activity in school once a year, maybe done by police officers with the dare program.

We are not a gun owning family. However, dhs brother was showing dhs mom how to shoot safely in her field while we were visiting. I encouraged our 4 kids to go learn gun safety from their uncle. It's a life lesson we would not have been able to share with them otherwise.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
It looks like Missouri schools are going to be teaching gun safety to 1st graders. This is such an important topic and it is obvious that many children are not learning about gun safety at home. Are schools responsible for teaching every topic that isn't being addressed at home? There aren't enough hours in the day to cover the core topics so do they really have time to fit in gun safety? Is this something you would want your child learning about in school? Will teaching this to 1st graders really make any impact?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/p...z/-/index.html
NO!

Heck our district dropped the DARE program 2 yrs ago because it was deemed ineffective.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
erin1715
DIS Veteran

Teachers do NOT get paid enough for this crap. Being a teacher is like missions work anymore...
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I think it easily fits into a health and safety curriculum and I see value in it, but it seems every time you turn around teachers are expected to add more things to their curriculum. I don't know how they accomplish what they already have to.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
Teachers do NOT get paid enough for this crap. Being a teacher is like missions work anymore...
Huh? How is teaching kids how to safely respond when they see a gun (which they very well may do in any number of legal scenarios) 'missions work' and 'crap'?
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
I do think this could be a worthwhile 30 minute activity in school once a year, maybe done by police officers with the dare program.
I like this idea
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
You have to pay for driver's ed in school?

Our high school offers it just like any other elective. You don't have to take it but you don't have to pay for it if you do.
Yes, it's a new fee. Also, we have a new rule that says you can only take the class once. We have a backlog of students who want to take the class, and they'd start . . . Miss two days, which means they cannot pass, and then just quit . . . But sign up again later. It was taking up seats and keeping other kids from getting in.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
RitaE
DIS Veteran

No, I'd like to see schools return to the concept of solid academic education and I'd like to see parents actually fulfill their obligations to teach their children all the "life skills" agenda stuff that is continuously getting pushed onto the schools because parents suck.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

I think it is a good idea. We don' t have handguns in our home but we do have toy guns to play cops and robbers. We have a friend who is a cop and we asked him to teach my 6 year old the difference between the toy and the real gun. Weight is a major factor. My son knows to stay away from guns but if he ever picked up a hand gun thinking it was a play gun, he now knows how heavy a real one actually is compared to his play one. So was a good lesson for him to learn.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a class like this in school. My son knows a hunting rifle as we have family members who hunt but I don't think he would have thought twice to pick up a hand gun and think it is fake.

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I have no problem with it. My FIL was a big target shooter, and both my kids spent time on the range learning gun safety. Both are adults now and have never handled a gun since.

Actually, they learned to shoot in Texas, and the range they went shooting at has no earthen berms, or enclosed buildings. Just a grove of trees at the end of the range. My son asked the owner about it, and he said "the closest house is a half mile away, so it's never been an issue"
Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
No, I'd like to see schools return to the concept of solid academic education and I'd like to see parents actually fulfill their obligations to teach their children all the "life skills" agenda stuff that is continuously getting pushed onto the schools because parents suck.
I'd like to see that too, but wishing it won't make it happen.

Not to mention that in some communities, gun safety doesn't even show up on the radar until there's an "incident". Lots of engaged and responsible parents don't think about gun safety as a "life skill".

I'd rather have 30 min twice a year in school where someone comes in to remind kids -- at ALL grade levels -- about gun safety than to have even one child killed because they accidentally picked up a gun.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
Domo
DIS Veteran

Totally for it. Kids need to learn that firearms are deadly items to be treated with absolute respect.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I'm not a huge gun-in-the-house fan, but I have no problem with teaching kids not to touch guns. I agree that doing it with the police department is better than doing it through a private program. I think it could be part of a bigger assembly sort of thing with the police department that encompasses the kinds of safety things kids need to know.

It could be a bit like the stop-drop-and-roll drills with the local firefighters that we used to have once a year in school, which we all loved and which stuck with me.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

As long as it is not a pro-gun advocacy charade, but rather a "don't touch, don't play, always assume it's loaded, find an adult" class, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: