Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Maybe Disney needs to do a South America cruise around the cape to get the ship back to the west coast. Would be an exciting itinerary.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
FJS961
DIS Veteran

We did the Pride of America inter island cruise in April and it was spectacular! I know it isn't DCL and it really isn't much of a 'cruise' as you spend about 100 hours docked during the week but it is a great way to see / spend time on a few islands without having to fly between them. The sailing highlights are the nighttime repositioning from one side of the big island to the other (Hilo to Kona) when you go about 1/2 mile from glowing lava spilling into the ocean and the last afternoon sailing right up along the Napali coast - I will never forget it.

Granted, if you are looking for the longer (2 week) cruise experience, spending 4-5 days at sea going each way, then wait for DCL to go back or take another line out of LA or Vancouver.

Another advantage POA has is it goes out every week of the year, very convenient for scheduling. We flew out 3 days early and explored Oahu then got 2 days each on Maui, big island (Hawaii) and Kauai during the 'cruise'
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
disneynut4u
Earning My Ears

My dad (73) wants to go to Hawaii to see Pearl Harbor. I want to do Aulani. HE won't fly and THINKS he will get seasick. I just got back from a cruise on the Dream and I don't think he will. IF Disney will do a Hawaii cruise again, I just might be able to talk him into going. I am hoping they will do one next year or 2015!!
disneynut4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut4u View Post
My dad (73) wants to go to Hawaii to see Pearl Harbor. I want to do Aulani. HE won't fly and THINKS he will get seasick. I just got back from a cruise on the Dream and I don't think he will. IF Disney will do a Hawaii cruise again, I just might be able to talk him into going. I am hoping they will do one next year or 2015!!
Hawaii isn't on the 2014 schedule. Here's hoping for 2015. We've done Hawaii on the old American Hawaii independence, NCL pride of Aloha, and DCL. Disney had the best service and entertainment but they didn't do the night time lava viewing or the Napaali coast and I hope they'll do those next time.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Ljbadfan
table #71

we just got off the wonder on july 22nd from Alaska. we talked with our head server, and he said they are not doing Hawaii again. Disney said it wasn't profitable, and some people didn't wanna pay the prices they were charging, cause it was cheaper to fly. so I don't think Hawaii is gonna be on the list for 2015 either. they also have less passengers on the cruise, cause they have to use rooms for storage, which explains the high price of the cruise
Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #21
Ready to go
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
I'm totally gonna do it if they have one. Then I'll send the boys to school the day we dock here haha.
Twopeasonepod, I envy you your back yard and your Macadamia nut kisses!!! You probably don't have to vacation often LOL!!!!

Dream Fish Extender January 5, 2014 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0SFNNV0E#gid=0
Ready to go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljbadfan View Post
we just got off the wonder on july 22nd from Alaska. we talked with our head server, and he said they are not doing Hawaii again. Disney said it wasn't profitable, and some people didn't wanna pay the prices they were charging, cause it was cheaper to fly. so I don't think Hawaii is gonna be on the list for 2015 either. they also have less passengers on the cruise, cause they have to use rooms for storage, which explains the high price of the cruise
I've learned a long time ago, crew rumors are just that, rumors. I think DCL made plenty of money on those two cruises compared to what they would pull in during that time, considering they were non-summer/non-holiday weeks. (I know I spent quite a bit more than we usually do on just about everything - merchandise, drinks, excursions.) It may not have been as profitable for the serving teams because the # of people was down but that doesn't mean DCL fared the same way. (I know one of the servers didn't think the Europe itineraries were a hit after the first year either because their tips were way down. But they see things from a different perspective.) I don't think they are going to be putting Hawaii on the schedule every year. But I wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of cruises on the 2015 schedule.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
I've learned a long time ago, crew rumors are just that, rumors. I think DCL made plenty of money on those two cruises compared to what they would pull in during that time, considering they were non-summer/non-holiday weeks. (I know I spent quite a bit more than we usually do on just about everything - merchandise, drinks, excursions.) It may not have been as profitable for the serving teams because the # of people was down but that doesn't mean DCL fared the same way. I don't think they are going to be putting Hawaii on the schedule every year. But I wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of cruises on the 2015 schedule.
Definitely not profitable for our serving team. Our rotation only had early dining. No late seating means that they only got the tips from one dinner service.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
I've learned a long time ago, crew rumors are just that, rumors. I think DCL made plenty of money on those two cruises compared to what they would pull in during that time, considering they were non-summer/non-holiday weeks. (I know I spent quite a bit more than we usually do on just about everything - merchandise, drinks, excursions.) It may not have been as profitable for the serving teams because the # of people was down but that doesn't mean DCL fared the same way. (I know one of the servers didn't think the Europe itineraries were a hit after the first year either because their tips were way down. But they see things from a different perspective.) I don't think they are going to be putting Hawaii on the schedule every year. But I wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of cruises on the 2015 schedule.
Or even one cruise. The first Hawaiian cruise was sold out almost immediately, but had problems when they added the 2nd cruise just 6 mos later.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #25
Ljbadfan
table #71

I didn't say these were crew rumors, dcl said that the cruises themselves weren't profitable, do to the high cost of going there, and remember Hawaii has high taxes for visitors. so as of right now there wont be any for 2014 and 2015 dates.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #26
aan1701
DIS Veteran

I think they may go again. I was on the first one and it was incredible. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would not think twice. To say they will not do it in 2015 is a bold statement and when DCL puts out the cruises for 2015 then we will know. Until then I say anything is possible as they always want to mix it up a bit if they can.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
Ljbadfan
table #71

And for 2015 when the Alaska cruises are going they are going to be on the magic not the wonder. Wonder is going east coast and still has its dry dock coming
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljbadfan View Post
And for 2015 when the Alaska cruises are going they are going to be on the magic not the wonder. Wonder is going east coast and still has its dry dock coming
I find this highly unlikely. The Magic (after her dry dock) will be too long to fit through the Panama Canal locks. Until the new locks are finished (which is not known at this time), the Magic won't be able to cross to the west coast.

Plus the Wonder has already been refitted for her Alaska cruises (with the enclosing of the Outlook Café). The Magic doesn't have this.

Speculation currently is that the Wonder's dry dock won't happen until the new locks are done. Any certificates that need to be renewed will be done so during either a quick regular dry dock (not getting the changes the Magic is getting) or an in water inspection.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 07-24-2013 at 04:56 PM.
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #29
lah3hh
DIS Veteran

I was on the first April 2012 Hawaiian sailing and it was FANTASTIC! I do think DCL will offer this again but as to when...that is the question to ponder. The ship was very full and definitely full of the most excitement since this was a first for all of us. I will say though it was one of the roughest sailings from a sea sickness perspective. We found out the Pacific appears to be calm but very well known for the swells underneath. The first few days more than half the ship was feeling and looking rather "green". The dining rooms were rather empty but for those of us unaffected...it was wonderful.

I enjoyed a full day at Aulani the day we were in port and even booked a DVC studio room for the day and found that to be an excellent decision. I was able to have use of the room which was great but was also able to get all of our laundry caught up and done for the second half of the cruise!!!

I hope they offer this again because I would do it again and secretly hope at some point they offer a South Pacific cruise!!!

2014 Vacation Plans:

March Las Vegas - RCI/DVC trade into a Hilton Grand Vacation Resort (This was awesome and truly loved the location along the strip!)

May/June WDW Beach Club 3 nights then on to 6 nights at Disney's Hilton Head Resort and then back to AKV for 3 additional nights

October DCL Wonder 5 night double dip followed by 7 nights at SSR

[B]That should be enough vacation time for the year I hope!!
lah3hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandLee View Post
I don't know. We were on the first Hawaii cruise. Seemed pretty full to me.
The staterooms were apparently at or close to capacity, but most guests were singles or couples or adult friends traveling together. There were not a lot of families with children compared to most DCL cruises. So the staterooms were full but the ship was not at its total capacity. There were only about 250 children aboard.

The ship was not very full...there were empty tables all over the dining room on late seating.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: