Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
taylor1293

DIS Veteran
When the Tag Fairy touches you, you know!! :)

On-campus apt for daughter

My daughter is moving to an on-campus apartment. It's her first time living out of the house. The apartment comes furnished but what items should we be collecting for her? I'm thinking dishes, towels, bedding? I know there is so much more that I'm not thinking of! Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2002-Polynesian, 2003-BWV, Hard Rock, 2004-POP, OKW, Royal Pacific, CSR, 2006-Swan,
2007-POFQ, CBR, 2008 - Royal Pacific
2013 - Bonnet Creek Resort, All Star Movies, 2014 - POP, ASMu, CSR, POFQ
taylor1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Trash cans, hamper, laundry basket, cleaning supplies, basic toolkit.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Just think through what she will need for the kitchen, bathroom and basic living needs. My son has on off-campus university apartment, so summer storage was more challenging this year due to all he needed. He lived with two other guys and they never swept the bathroom floor, so we made sure to add broom to this fall's list!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Shower curtain bath mats
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

I'd also make sure she is in contact with her apartment mates to see what others plan to bring.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
Shower curtain bath mats
Don't forget shower hooks!

Basic spices

Whatever is needed for their favorite thing to cook. ( pan, bowls, measuring cups and spoons, utensils, ingredients)

Basic cookbook

Toilet paper, bathroom cleaning products, including a toilet brush

That is all I can think of now- but I will be taking notes-I will be in the same position next year with dd.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Illuminations_Rocks
The tan towels from HSN are also like crack

My on campus apartment came with furnishings, trash can and recycling can in the kitchen, dishes, and utensils.

We did have to get a shower curtain and trash cans for the bathroom and our rooms. We also got a four-shelf rack to put in the bathroom and then one of the four-shelf corner things for the bathtub, so we each had a shelf in the bathroom and the shower. Toilet paper, paper towels, bath towels, kitchen towels we needed. We brought a blender and toaster. One of my roommates also brought a couch - yes it was furnished but the extra couch was NICE to have (wayyy more comfortable and it was just a cheaper one from IKEA). Also used sheets to cover the uncomfortable fabric on the couch and chairs that came with the apartment.

We were girls so we also had some decorations, like chair cushions and placemats for the dining area. And area rugs. Oh! The coat rack was perhaps the BEST thing - no coat closet in our apartment. I think we had some drapey window treatment (no screws allowed) to put over the blinds.

Along with that we brought anything from the dorms that we needed, except for the microwave and mini fridges. So all the bedding, hangers, extra space units, laundry basket, tv's, etc, were still needed.

ETA: my school had a list of what came in the apartment... have her check to see if they have one!
Oct 1991 offsite Easter 1999 ASMu Aug 2006 POFQ Jan 2007 OKW Sept 2008 BC Disneymoon! Aug 2009 BWV Jan 2011 OKW Nov 2011 SSR/OKW Dec 2012 BCV April 2013 offsite Sept 2013 BWV for our 5 year anniversary!
DLR - several day trips in 2007, overnights Aug 23-25 '07 at DLH (got engaged!), Nov 15-17 '07 at HoJo's ... BLT owners!

Last edited by Illuminations_Rocks; 07-15-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: see above
Illuminations_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
AlaskaMOM
BL II - Blue Team
DH is my Prince Charming

first aid kit with basics plus any OTC meds she typically uses when not feeling well. (Benadryl, tums, advil, alka seltzer, etc)

Looks like PP's have covered everything else I thought of.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Definitely check with the school and roommates, as to what people are bringing and what's already there. Since it's on-campus, it likely has furnishings and stuff like dishware, but there might be a few extras needed, like a blender or crockpot if the girls would use those. Plus decorative stuff, of course.

When I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond the other day, I commented that I didn't know what my DD18 would need, since her housing assignment was not what we expected. The cashier printed out the dorm checklist for DD's school (BU), it had all the info. I thought it was really cool! Plus, there's a BB&B 2 blocks from BU, DD got a GC for graduation, and they'll take anything back that you don't use. And, there are coupons floating around (Real Simple frequently has them, and get on their mailing list).
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
taylor1293

DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I guess I should add that she is only going to be 20 minutes down the road, so it's ok if we forget anything, lol!

I'm going to see if she can find out what is actually provided and go from there . We have a bed, bath, and beyond right down the road...sounds like an excuse to go shopping!

Thanks again!

2002-Polynesian, 2003-BWV, Hard Rock, 2004-POP, OKW, Royal Pacific, CSR, 2006-Swan,
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
sharbear
DIS Veteran

Other than the usual items, my D and her roommate liked their magic bullet, Keurig and soda stream. They also used more toilet paper than I thought humanly possible (it was a big source of roommate discourse lol!).

A couple of things that are nice. A small selection of spices. When you have more things that you can make food with, the more they are likely to actually cook. BBB and also Macys have a starter set of frying pans from calphalon, they aren't too expensive. A nice sharp knife also.

A George Forman grill.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Some colleges don't allow other kitchen devices. DD can bring a fridge, or rent a micro-fridge, but she can't bring a microwave or any other cooking-type appliances. So, please check before you get that Keurig or Magic Bullet. You'd think these would be fine in an apartment, but it doesn't hurt to just check.

Now, if the school allows them, I'm sure they would get plenty of good use.

Another thought--have they worked out how they're going to supply stuff like paper towels and groceries? Back in the Stone Age when I lived in an off-campus apartment, we each kicked in for groceries and basic supplies. The roommate with the truck did the weekly shopping, and there was a running list on the fridge. You were responsible for your own personal care products, and any specialty foods (which got labelled so people would know it wasn't fair game). We also got into a routine of having one person cook, each of 4 nights. We didn't feel compelled to all eat together all the time, though.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

If there is not a shared cleaning supply closet with one--a plunger. You don't want to have to go out to get one when one is needed!

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
sharbear
DIS Veteran

I was going to come back and suggest the plunger. Also one of those tools they sell to get hair out of the drains. Girls, long hair=clogged drains.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
taylor1293

DIS Veteran

Thanks for the additional suggestions, especially the plunger...never would have thought of that but it's very important! I'm writing them all down .

Thanks again .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: