Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer
 
chocolateavocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 330

Need Help! 1st WDW Vacation booked for 9/13-thinking of chging to Thanksgiving

Hi, everyone! I'm brand new to the boards- have been reading posts since June, when we decided to book our very first Disney vacation.

We are currently booked 9/25-10/1 of this year at The Beach Club. Initially I was thrilled beyond belief but as the time gets closer, I'm starting to worry about the dates. I'm afraid that Sept will still be too hot for us (me). I'm in northeast PA and we are having a terribly hot & humid summer and the weather is really doing a number on me. I have some pretty severe gi/digestive disorders and the weather really, really aggravates my conditions. After reading lots of threads & boards, I'm thinking that Sept may still be too hot to go.

I'm thinking of switching our vacation to Thanksgiving time- I understand it'll be more expensive & there won't be free dining & probably alot more crowded- BUT what good is going at all if I'll be sick the whole trip... Plus, going at Thanksgiving my son will only miss 1 day of scholl vs a week. I checked the reservations & there's still availability at the resorts that appeal most to us. So- what do you all think?

It'll be myself, dh & ds6. It will be all of our 1st trip to Disney (and actually our 1st vacation in 3 yrs- last yr was only day trips & year before I spent part of the summer at Temple's Univeristy hospital for testing/evals)- so this is really a big deal for us & a MUCH needed escape.

We initially chose Beach Club because of the pool- but going later that may not be as big a draw- but the resort still looks beautiful & fun. The other 2 that we like are the Wilderness Lodge & the Polynesian. We'll be going for 5 nights- if we switch would be 11/26- 12/1 (right after dh & my 40th b-days).

What resort would you chose/ think is best & given all of the above- would you switch dates- even with the price increase/no free dining,etc?

Thanks in advance for all of your help/opinions & advice!!
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 836

Anytime you go to Orlando, you risk having hot weather. I would say look at what works best for your health issues, but I will tell you that I have been to WDW in November and December and it has still been hot. I went around Nov. 8th and the week of Christmas last year and to me it was hot(I'm in VA). I checked the weather forecast before I left and thought I packed well. However, when I got down there, I really needed shorts and short sleeves. I had brought one pair, but something felt wrong to me about wearing shorts in Nov/Dec. The thing to remember about Orlando is that it is humid. You need to dress in layers because at 7am it may be 50 degrees but it will be 70 degrees two hours later. There have also been years when Orlando has had cold snaps during that time of year.

I agree that Thanksgiving will be a lot more crowded. If you've never been during that time of year you really can't fathom the amount of people that will be there. I think they say its one of the busier times of the year. You will need to make a list of your must dos and take advantage of the EMH so that you are in the park before everyone else gets there. Realize that you won't be able to do everything and make sure that all TS restaurant reservations are made at the 180 day mark. You may also have to deal with parks closing due to capacity. I know this happens around Xmas, but you will have to search the disboards(or someone will post) to see if this happens during Thanksgiving week.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
deb010305
Mouseketeer
 
deb010305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 171

I can't answer what to do, but I can tell you that we have been to WDW in August, September, and early October - and each of those times it has been hot and humid !

Last October over Columbus Day week-end was almost as bad as August, humid and thunderstorms every afternoon, which just made it more humid.

Thanksgiving will be more crowded, but late September is also crowded due to Food & Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
deb010305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer
 
chocolateavocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 330

Thanks for your replies & info!
We can also do 11/6 - 11/11 and my son would only need to miss 2 days of school (Veterans holiday & an in service day are on their calendar).
I'm hoping maybe that would be less crowded than Thanksgiving week maybe and at least a little cooler than Sept.
I can handle 80's (as long as we take breaks- that's why I definately want a deluxe- i know the room/pools will be used alot) but 90's with humidity is tough.
For the 11/6-11/11, beach club is not available but the Polynesian and wl are- so maybe we'll switch to 1 of those tomorrow (just have to get dh's ok from his boss to switch vacation days- should be no problem at all)
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran
 
darkwing818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,631

Always go with your 1st instinct.
We've been to WDW over Thanksgiving, never again, Way Way to crowded. Just our 2 cents worth.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
Bee2u
ImJustBeeNme
 
Bee2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Right here in front of this computer.
Posts: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateavocado View Post
Thanks for your replies & info!
We can also do 11/6 - 11/11 and my son would only need to miss 2 days of school (Veterans holiday & an in service day are on their calendar).
I'm hoping maybe that would be less crowded than Thanksgiving week maybe and at least a little cooler than Sept.
I can handle 80's (as long as we take breaks- that's why I definately want a deluxe- i know the room/pools will be used alot) but 90's with humidity is tough.
For the 11/6-11/11, beach club is not available but the Polynesian and wl are- so maybe we'll switch to 1 of those tomorrow (just have to get dh's ok from his boss to switch vacation days- should be no problem at all)
This sounds like a good choice; it will be much less crowded. WL and Polly are both great resorts, you really can't go wrong with either one. Have a great trip!
__________________

My WDW trips: July 1972; Summer 1980; Honeymoon - June 28th - July 2, 1986; Summer 1999; March 2000 (kids sang @ Magical Music Days); Our 25th Anniv. - June 24 - 28th, 2011 WL; Nov. 20 - 24, 2012 POR; 2013: Jan. 2 - 5 WL (My first Solo trip); Jan. 26 - 29 WL; birthday trip: Apr. 5 - 8 BC; June 3 - 8 WL; First trip to DLR July 5 - 7,; Sept. 19 - 22 WL; Nov. 23 - 29 POR; Dec. 6 - 9 CS; 2014: Feb. 1 - 3 Poly; Mar. 8 - 12 AoA; Apr. 3 - 7 POR; June 3 - 10 POR, WL; July 31 - Aug. 3 Disney Dream; Aug. 3 - 5 Poly; Aug. 22 - 24 BW; Sept 12 - 14 WL
Bee2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Princess Jes
Mouseketeer
 
Princess Jes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 96

Just a thought... If your DS was already going to miss a week of school with your original plans, is there any reason you couldn't just go any random week that the crowd calendar shows low crowds, and one that suits your weather requirements?
__________________
Currently taking donations for the "Jes NEEDS to go back to WDW - Airfares from the Land Down Under to Orlando" fund
Feeling depressed until I have my next trip planned (hopefully 2016... so far away)



2014 - Royal Pacific Resort (First leg of USA Honeymoon)
2014 - Yacht Club (Second leg of USA Honeymoon)
Princess Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer
 
chocolateavocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Jes View Post
Just a thought... If your DS was already going to miss a week of school with your original plans, is there any reason you couldn't just go any random week that the crowd calendar shows low crowds, and one that suits your weather requirements?

The reason we picked the 1st dates was because of the free dining & my dh's 40th birthday fell during those dates as well. But, the more we thought about it, we'd really like to go when there's a chance it'll be at least a little cooler. So, if we were rescheduling, I'd really rather my son not miss a week of school if he doesn't need to. I think the Veterans week will work really good- hopefully cooler weather, only 1 1/2 day of school missed - sounds like a really fun trip!

For next year, we now know to start planning alot earlier. This year was almost a spur of the moment decision- it was something we didn't think we'd really be able to afford anytime soon. But, we just redid our budget and started really watching & we're happy to say that we're able to make this magical vacation for our ds
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
kmb584
DIS Veteran
 
kmb584's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 4,378

I live in Dunmore! You're quite right about our summer thus far. I feel like I'm stepping out into a bowl of steaming soup every time I leave our house!

I've been during both late September and mid November. Orlando weather is unpredictable at best. Last October while the NE was being hit by Sandy, we were in WDW and had to purchase sweaters because it was in the 50's and windy. The October before that we rarely saw one day below 85. Your best bet for possibly avoiding the hotter weather is going to be in November.
__________________



Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer
 
chocolateavocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 330

That is sooo cool that you're in Dunmore! We're neighbors! We're in Green Ridge
I'm ok w/ 80's (although I really do like the cooler weather- I can handle 80's as long as there's breaks)- 90's are really tough. we've been speding alot of time in the house w/ the ac on high & out in the pool to cool off.

My dh is checking w/ his boss to switch his vacation dates- there shouldn't be a problem at all- if he gets the ok, I'm calling today to switch to Veterans week. Now, just to settle on witch resort and I hope it's not a problem with disney to switch the dates. There is availability at both the Poly & WL- so I don't think there should be a problem
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
kmb584
DIS Veteran
 
kmb584's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 4,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateavocado View Post
We're in Green Ridge
We live on the Dunmore side of Green Ridge! Such a small world!
__________________



Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
flamark
Mouseketeer
 
flamark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Orange Park, Fl
Posts: 163

I will agree with a PP suggestion and recommend perhaps early January if you want to be assured(as you can be) of cooler weather. ANY time that there is a holiday, folks are planning on coming to WDW. We are of the opinion that missing a week of school won't really set a child back.(DW is an elementary school teacher so I put a little bit of credibility in her opinion). Being at the world during an uncrowded time, especially for your first visit could make all the difference in your enjoyment. You can also make arrangements with teacher(s) to get any assignments that are must do type things. It can't be overstated the hordes of people at WDW during holidays. What some WDW vets characterize as "manageable" or "not that bad" will make a first timer's head spin! Take all advice just as someone's opinion and draw your own conclusions but if it was my money I would go in January. JMO
__________________
Dixie Landings 4/97 - CSR 4/98 - Dixie Landings 6/99 - WL 4/00 - POFQ 6/02 - POR 3/07 - POLY 4/13 - POLY 6/13 - BC 6/13 - POR 9/13 and many others as I can remember them
flamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
tink15823
DIS Veteran
 
tink15823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brockport PA
Posts: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateavocado View Post
Hi, everyone! I'm brand new to the boards- have been reading posts since June, when we decided to book our very first Disney vacation.

We are currently booked 9/25-10/1 of this year at The Beach Club. Initially I was thrilled beyond belief but as the time gets closer, I'm starting to worry about the dates. I'm afraid that Sept will still be too hot for us (me). I'm in northeast PA and we are having a terribly hot & humid summer and the weather is really doing a number on me. I have some pretty severe gi/digestive disorders and the weather really, really aggravates my conditions. After reading lots of threads & boards, I'm thinking that Sept may still be too hot to go.

I'm thinking of switching our vacation to Thanksgiving time- I understand it'll be more expensive & there won't be free dining & probably alot more crowded- BUT what good is going at all if I'll be sick the whole trip... Plus, going at Thanksgiving my son will only miss 1 day of scholl vs a week. I checked the reservations & there's still availability at the resorts that appeal most to us. So- what do you all think?

It'll be myself, dh & ds6. It will be all of our 1st trip to Disney (and actually our 1st vacation in 3 yrs- last yr was only day trips & year before I spent part of the summer at Temple's Univeristy hospital for testing/evals)- so this is really a big deal for us & a MUCH needed escape.

We initially chose Beach Club because of the pool- but going later that may not be as big a draw- but the resort still looks beautiful & fun. The other 2 that we like are the Wilderness Lodge & the Polynesian. We'll be going for 5 nights- if we switch would be 11/26- 12/1 (right after dh & my 40th b-days).

What resort would you chose/ think is best & given all of the above- would you switch dates- even with the price increase/no free dining,etc?

Thanks in advance for all of your help/opinions & advice!!
Hi I'm a PA girl and when have done 6 trips in September . The heat wasn't as bad there as this heat wave we just had because of the humidity . They have lots of areas to play and get wet . You said your booked at BC so you can come back play in the pool if you need to and pop back to the parks. I really don't think its going to bother you. Best of luck .
__________________
MeDHDS 15:DD 15:DS 9



ASMU 1996 ASMO 2005 2008 2010 Art of Animation 2012
tink15823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
jcjen519
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,402

you have gotten good advice already but i will add that when we have been in jan its been humid and hot. I don't know, i would say it is more likely you will get the weather you want the further from summer you are but it is still very likely to be very hot/humid. that said September is my favorite time to go.
__________________

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer
 
chocolateavocado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 330

Thanks everyone for your replies & advice!!

We called & changed our reservation to 11/6 -11/11 at the Polynesian (the BC was booked and the bc & poly were our 2 top choices). Now that there's rumors of a free dining offer- we may have to call back to fit our dates into the offer range- but that's no big deal at all.

If we need to chg the dates for the offer, it's just to decide if we should pick dates for the mickey's halloween party or christmas party?!?

I don't know who's more excited at this point - me or ds!!
__________________
ME: DH DS7





1st WDW trip- Nov 2013 @ The Polynesian
chocolateavocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.