Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #46
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

On our first cruise, we booked a 7A GTY room. We were assigned a 7A room... so no upgrade.

On our 2nd cruise we booked another 7A GTY room. This time we were upgraded to a 5D room! We are traveling with my parents who booked an 11C GTY room. They didn't get an upgrade and were assigned an 11C room.

Upgrades can be common if you book a GTY room... but they don't always happen...
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #47
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPL View Post
Question for you PatricenPete, how did they calculate the upgrade charge from Cat 9D to Cat 7? was it $100 different when you first booked the 9D? or the gap narrowed as the sail date got closer?
This doesn't answer your question but just wanted to mention, when you book, you lock in pricing in all categories. So if all cats go up a lot in price as your date nears, and you decide to upgrade, you won't pay pricing that you then see online. You would pay what you locked in that first day.
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #48
Monty1381
Earning My Ears

Great info.
Monty1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #49
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickiwoo View Post
...Upgrades can be common if you book a GTY room... but they don't always happen...
You don't increase your chances of being upgraded by booking a GTY at all. It is just as possible to get one if you select your stateroom. That happened to us both times we were upgraded.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #50
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

You don't increase your chances of being upgraded by booking a GTY at all. It is just as possible to get one if you select your stateroom. That happened to us both times we were upgraded.
Agreed. We've never booked a GTY. Yet we received free upgrades on three sailings where we originally selected our stateroom.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #51
sparky309442
Earning My Ears

My wife and I booked the Dream for our honeymoon in 2011. We booked an inside stateroom. When we received our cruise documents, we were still an inside. The next year we booked for our one year anniversary, but had to book the Dream again, because the Fantasy was so expensive. We were still extremely happy with the Dream. About 6 weeks later, my wife conveniently was on the DCL website, and they had a IGT booking available for the Fantasy. I called, cancelled the 5 nights on the Dream , and rebooked on the Fantasy for 7nights on EC. We checked in online a few days before our cruise, and the upgraded us for FREE to DELUXE OCEANVIEW with VERANDA ! It was amazing!(wouldn't pay out of pocket though) Our cruise this past March, on the Wonder, was another inside stateroom, but no upgrade. We'll just keep booking and hoping We're happy no matter where we sleep!
sparky309442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #52
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

In 2007 we booked an inside stateroom for our Mediterranean cruise to save some $$. When we checked in we were surprised to have a verandah stateroom. :-)
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: