Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #31
EmpressBubbles
Proud Duck Smuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaberwock View Post
Can't go wrong with some Krispy Kreme doughnuts if you don't care about the health aspects. Don't forget to throw them in the microwave for a few seconds!
Look for the "Hot, Fresh, Now" sign in the window! I'm drooling on my keyboard as I type this. You MUST try Krispy Kreme donuts!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

Weetabix? I believe our Shredded Wheat is the same thing, just in a different shape. There are several brands including Post, Nabisco and Quaker.
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
smiths02
DIS Veteran

My MIL is a true Southerner.... when she is pressed for time, she uses Pillsbury frozen southern style biscuits (not the refrigerated ones).
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #34
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
never eaten grits
are they sweet or savoury?

loving the ideas guys ty and yes, the full english bfast is something else but i promise i only have 1 once a year, normally before i get on a plane as i dont like aircraft food lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am from New England but have tried grits. I believe it is a dish made from corn meal? To me it tasted like a very thick "Cream of Wheat" and was served with a pat of butter. It was simple but good. Maybe some of our "southern" friends can explain grits a little better than this "northern" girl LOL. We stay in a DVC studio and pick up bagels (cream cheese), blueberry and banana nut muffins, and Krispy Kreme donuts (for hubby LOL). We usually grab a couple of counter service breakfasts, one or two at our resort and another either at Pizzafari (AK) or Sunshine Seasons (Epcot). Have a great vacation!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

Grits are savory, but you can put whatever you want on them. Cream (lots of it) and cheese, ham bits, sausage, or bacon are all good toppings. They're cheap and easy to cook (similar to oatmeal). You can top them with some grape jelly too, that's good.

I should add that american 'biscuits' not NOT UK 'biscuits," we call those cookies! But you probably knew that already.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

You have gotten a lot of great ideas but if you have the time (& a car) you need to go to a Waffle House Restaurant.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #37
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
My MIL is a true Southerner.... when she is pressed for time, she uses Pillsbury frozen southern style biscuits (not the refrigerated ones).
I was raised a true blood Southerner too. I grew up with a mom who got up early every morning and made homemade biscuits with sausage gravy or homemade pancakes or waffles. I will sometimes use can or frozen biscuits, but always feel guilty when I do. Nothing compares to hot, buttered, fluffy, homemade biscuits covered in homemade sausage gravy. So unhealthy, but soooo good. Homemade biscuits aren't that hard to make and taste so much better than canned or frozen ones, but if you are pressed for time the others will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
You have gotten a lot of great ideas but if you have the time (& a car) you need to go to a Waffle House Restaurant.
For some reason this struck me as funny. In our fairly small town, we have two Waffle Houses (plus an IHOP). The Waffle Houses are on opposite ends of town and the only people there are old men who hang out there in the mornings to drink coffee and gossip. The food is decent, but most people around here consider the Waffle House a watering hole for the old people to sit around and gossip in. If the OP wants good old southern foods, they might also want to try Cracker Barrell.

Off topic, but we have family from up north that are fascinated by our Sonics. They don't have them where they are from and for some reason they love the idea of ordering from individual speakers, skating car hops bringing out foot long chili cheese dogs and huge Route 44 sodas, with music playing. Not sure if the Sonics in Florida are the same, but ours have several different kinds of breakfast burritos with sausage, bacon, cheese, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, onions, hash brown potatoes, and jalapenos in them. They make a farily good, cheap breakfast.

Last edited by aubriee; 07-17-2013 at 05:19 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #38
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal55 View Post
I am from New England but have tried grits. I believe it is a dish made from corn meal? To me it tasted like a very thick "Cream of Wheat" and was served with a pat of butter. It was simple but good. Maybe some of our "southern" friends can explain grits a little better than this "northern" girl LOL.
I've been a Southerner all my life, but am not a fan of grits. However, my dad used to like them sweet with lots of cream, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and a little jam or maple syup mixed in them. On the other hand, my F-I-L preferred his savory with lots of cream, butter, grated cheese, and either crisp bacon or ham chunks on top. My husband will eat them either sweet or savory if he notices them in a restaurant. He knows I'm not cooking those nasty things and for that matter he only wants them like maybe once or twice a year. Grits are basically finely ground corn, with very little flavor to them, until you add whatever condiments you prefer.

Last edited by aubriee; 07-17-2013 at 05:21 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #39
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunches View Post
For an easy hot breakfast you could try some of the heat and serve iced cinnamon rolls. They have some in the refrigerated biscuit section (near the butter) that need to be baked on a cookie sheet and some frozen ones in the freezer section that come in a foil pan. So yummy!
If there is a choice, I suggest Pillsbury Grands, They are really good for refrigerator rolls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRose View Post

Frosted Strawberry PopTarts...In the northern parts of the States, WalMart stores actually beef up their supplies of them if a blizzard is in the forecast.
You know we need calories to keep up our strength if it snows, LOL! I stock up on donuts too....you never know if the power goes out how long your sweets will hold out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post

If the OP wants good old southern foods, they might also want to try Cracker Barrell.
My DSIL is a Southern boy and he always wants Cracker Barrell if there is a choice. Their pecan pancakes are delicious as well!

I don't think I saw instant oatmeal on the list of breakfast fast foods, but we always take some. Toss some raisins or dried cranberries and nuts and breakfast is served.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
richkaryn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
The pilsbury frozen southern style are the best...way better than the refridgerated ones in my opinion. About $4 for a bag of 20
March 2014- CBR DH, DS6, nephew 17, and myself
richkaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

I Hop has stuffed french toast in the freezer section
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #42
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

Thank you, didn't know a simple thread would be so busy, we have done Ihop for dinner but never bfast and Cracker Barrel on one of our first trips dd was 3 and screamed at the moose head hanging on the wall lol, we sat on the porch and got to go boxes
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #43
EmpressBubbles
Proud Duck Smuggler

Grits -- absolutely the same thing as polenta, just usually white corn, not yellow. We (southerners) tend to make ours the consistency of oatmeal. I like both the savory (shrimp and grits or with salt, pepper and country ham) or sweet (butter and sugar, please!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: