Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

My dad taught me to cook eggs this way when I was a kid. Still love them this way.

Linda
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
BillSears
DIS Veteran

No, I wouldn't call these sunny side up. I feel sunny side up eggs are not cooked at all on the top. She's cooking the top by steam. So basted is the term for them but not over easy.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Pop Aug -14, Pop Sept-14, Pop Dec-14 and Pop May-15! Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Thanks for the tip, I will have to give this a shot for DH. I like scrambled myself but I like to cook eggs for some reason, and he doesn't like scrambled.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
No, I wouldn't call these sunny side up. I feel sunny side up eggs are not cooked at all on the top. She's cooking the top by steam. So basted is the term for them but not over easy.
Yea, I know but I wait until they are pink on top and whites are cooked, so not technically "sunny side up" however for me it means that it is not over easy if that makes sense.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Good tip. But Sunny Side Up is my least favorite way to cook an egg. Ick. Give me Over Hard, please. At least if someone else asks, I can make them a good one now.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
rgf207
DIS Veteran

I use bacon grease. Put a couple tablespoons in, let it melt and crack the eggs. Let the eggs sit for a couple minutes and then begin to spoon the bacon grease over the yolks. No flipping and the eggs are delicious

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinijocaro View Post
My mom used to do this to make perfect over easy eggs every time without breaking the yolk. No flipping the eggs involved. I haven't met many people who do it this way.

Crack eggs in pan, add a couple tablespoons of water and cover tightly, cooking on medium to low heat. The water will steam the top of the eggs so they aren't all runny and slimy. If you prefer over medium or over hard, just cook longer with the lid on.

I have clear lids so I can see just when they are perfect. No more broken yolks from flipping the eggs to cook the tops!
This is how I make my eggs. I love it! Only I only spray the pan with non stick spray. Its works great! I keep the lid on (i also have clear lids), its easier to see when its cooked to my liking.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
I use bacon grease. Put a couple tablespoons in, let it melt and crack the eggs. Let the eggs sit for a couple minutes and then begin to spoon the bacon grease over the yolks. No flipping and the eggs are delicious
I use to make my eggs this way, instead of bacon grease i'd use oil. Then i discovered the "keep the lid on" method, and havent looked back. Great thing is, its healthier with the lid. (Although i admit with the bacon its much tastier!).

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
I am sure they are however that is not a healthy way to eat eggs.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

^All depends on how you look at it. Someone eating low-carb would say that's a very healthy breakfast.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I love over easy eggs, but STINK at making them because I break the yolk every time I try to flip!!

This method sounds PERFECT for me!

However, I'm confused about the water... does this mean you'll have a watery egg when it's cooked? Does the water get absorbed? Although I'm guessing not since the cover is on the whole time...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
My grandmother taught me to fry eggs when I was about 10. I loved over easy eggs. She didn't want me to flip them and splatter grease....or break the yolk. So, we used hot grease to baste and achieved the same result. It's the way, I learned originally...and it stuck.

The yolk isn't cooked for sunny side up, at least, according to my grandmother.

This made me a little weepy. My grandmother passed away 30 years ago. I still miss her very much.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

No watery eggs, experiment wih how much water you put in. Most of the water ends up on the underside of the lid as it steams.

Bacon grease, that sounds delicious. The only people I know who keep bacon grease on hand are from the South. Not necessarily SOUTH South, but more Southern than where I live ( buffalo, NY)
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I love over easy eggs, but STINK at making them because I break the yolk every time I try to flip!!

This method sounds PERFECT for me!

However, I'm confused about the water... does this mean you'll have a watery egg when it's cooked? Does the water get absorbed? Although I'm guessing not since the cover is on the whole time...
You are just steaming them. As long as you have a non stick pan or use a bit of oil in the pan if needed so they do not stick, you just need to cook them with the lid on.

A dab of water is just to add to the steam.

Interestingly enough I cook sausages/smokies this way. Then remove lid and cook as normal. I do that to raise the temp on the meat to remove any 'bacteria", since it is a processed meat.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #30
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I tried it out this morning for my DH... big success thanks!
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: